What's new

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Classic44 said:
Don't forget Warner Bros home video website is selling all of the box sets at a great price. Not sure why people on Ebay are paying over $80.00 for season one when they can get them here for a quarter of that price. Here's season five for you.

http://www.wbshop.com/product/dukes+of+hazzard-+the+complete+fifth+season+dvd+1000002632.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

Well, a lot of people (especially those who aren't hobbyists like us, or also those who aren't very internet-savvy) will just check the one or two biggest places that they're already registered with (eBay and/or Amazon) and not bother with trying to shop around anywhere else. Also, they probably get consumed by the hype and simply react quickly, rather than taking the time to think things out/do research.

And there are people (certain eBay and Amazon Marketplace sellers) who lie in wait to prey on such buyers...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AndyMcKinney said:
Well, a lot of people (especially those who aren't hobbyists like us, or also those who aren't very internet-savvy) will just check the one or two biggest places that they're already registered with (eBay and/or Amazon) and not bother with trying to shop around anywhere else. Also, they probably get consumed by the hype and simply react quickly, rather than taking the time to think things out/do research.

And there are people (certain eBay and Amazon Marketplace sellers) who lie in wait to prey on such buyers...

Many eBay sellers are generally full of shit.

There are some very good ones with fair prices and accurate descriptions. But most of 'em... take comic books, for example. Every lame, common, piece of crap comic worth fifty cents is listed as "RARE OUT OF PRINT LOW PRINT RUN!", and jacked up in price beyond what a reasonable person would pay for it. If you know better, you go to other sites and pay the fifty cents for the book it's worth. But, the people who don't know pay the overblown price.

And in cases like Dukes, where it's in the news, you probably have everyone and his computer savvy mother jumping on eBay to sell their copies, inflating the price while flooding the market.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tip! I completely forgot about getting them from Warner Brothers-duh! Just ordered season 1.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
Why are these DVD sets hard to get from the likes of Amazon? I live in the UK and I can't believe how lucky I was to get season 1 from them (Amazon UK), for just under £11.00. Now you can't get it at all. All the other sets are unavailable. Are they simply out of print through the passage of time or is it because of the recent controversy and Amazon can't get any stock?

There are other sets elsewhere of course like through Amazon Market Place but I'm not paying their over inflated prices. Same goes for eBay. The only choice I currently have if I want them now is to go the iTunes download route. Apple have all the season available.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I lucked out and got the single-sided Season 1 discs last year for dirt cheap at my local Half-Price Books store. Perhaps this whole controversy will actually help sell more units and persuade the powers that be to get the other flipper sets re-done as single sided discs!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Mr. Handley said:
I lucked out and got the single-sided Season 1 discs last year for dirt cheap at my local Half-Price Books store. Perhaps this whole controversy will actually help sell more units and persuade the powers that be to get the other flipper sets re-done as single sided discs!

If this is ever to be done, most likely Warner will wait at least a year or two after the controversy has completely died down.

It would be similar to waiting a year or two after a famous tv actor died, and releasing a dvd set to capitalize on their recent publicity. (Such as what might have been done with the Columbo and Rockford Files complete series sets).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jcroy said:
If this is ever to be done, most likely Warner will wait at least a year or two after the controversy has completely died down.

It would be similar to waiting a year or two after a famous tv actor died, and releasing a dvd set to capitalize on their recent publicity. (Such as what might have been done with the Columbo and Rockford Files complete series sets).

A year or two?

The long-delayed, presumed abandoned Mork and Mindy S4 was announced within a month and a half of Robin Williams' death, and the season and complete series package was released within four months, just in time for Christmas.

I don't know where WB stands, but CBS seems to strike while the iron is hot. And honestly, WB would be smart to do the same thing, before the manufactured outrage dies down.

Of course, they could just be thrilled with the fact that they're getting rid of a major amount of backstock that was just sitting around, and there's no need for new pressings.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
stringbean said:
Why are these DVD sets hard to get from the likes of Amazon? I live in the UK and I can't believe how lucky I was to get season 1 from them (Amazon UK), for just under £11.00. Now you can't get it at all. All the other sets are unavailable. Are they simply out of print through the passage of time or is it because of the recent controversy and Amazon can't get any stock?

There are other sets elsewhere of course like through Amazon Market Place but I'm not paying their over inflated prices. Same goes for eBay. The only choice I currently have if I want them now is to go the iTunes download route. Apple have all the season available.
Yeah, it's just a supply and demand issue. All of a sudden there was a huge demand (for no real reason because they were never going to stop making the DVDs) and Warners couldn't meet the demand. Ironically, once they can meet the demand again, the demand will be long gone.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
But what about the fact that they stopped producing merchandise, and restricted the sale and distribution of confederate flags? This alone is enough for me to believe that they're trying to ban the show, because they think that it will inspire another shooting.

The push to stop the ban is greater than it's ever been.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Vahan_Nisanain said:
But what about the fact that they stopped producing merchandise, and restricted the sale and distribution of confederate flags? This alone is enough for me to believe that they're trying to ban the show, because they think that it will inspire another shooting.

The push to stop the ban is greater than it's ever been.
They probably stopped making a handful of car replicas so it was a lazy & inexpensive way to try to look good (which failed because the only people that noticed criticized them for it). The DVDs are far more lucrative and since they are, they aren't going anywhere.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
TravisR said:
The DVDs are far more lucrative and since they are, they aren't going anywhere.

I hope you're right about that. I really want to get the other sets even more now. Still, I was fortunate enough to get season one on DVD the other day so at least I have that to enjoy for the moment.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
The Obsolete Man said:
Of course, they could just be thrilled with the fact that they're getting rid of a major amount of backstock that was just sitting around, and there's no need for new pressings.

Well, I don't know how much backstock they have, the Dukes seasons were part of that Warner Brothers $3/$6 Big Lots fiasco a few years back, (the ones that were supposed to be destroyed) ... I only needed one season at the time and picked it up during this period...

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Hasslein said:
Well, I don't know how much backstock they have, the Dukes seasons were part of that Warner Brothers $3/$6 Big Lots fiasco a few years back, (the ones that were supposed to be destroyed) ... I only needed one season at the time and picked it up during this period...

I'm not a big Dukes fan, but back when Big Lots had that major cache of TV boxsets for those prices, I even bought the seasons they had of this show (I think it might've been 4, 5 and 6, maybe also 3).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I also got a few of mine from BL. I had thoughts of buying the whole rack of stuff, including the Flintstones and selling a few later. crazy profit on that if I'd gone with the thoughts.

salazz

Auditioning
Real Name
Sal
HDvision said:
Looks to me the show on HD have expanded sides and thus is not cropped. Will add it to the list of TV show gone wide.
Not true at all, the expanded you mention is we can now just see what was in the overscan area of old 4x3 tvs

IF you would actually compare the dvd's of THE DUKES to the cropped CMT HD presentations, you see that there is a HUGE amount of cropping on top and bottom of screen that loses picture

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I just ordered seasons 5-7 from deepdiscount at around 15 a piece but they are back ordered. What are the odds that I will actually get these?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
salazz said:
(salazz) Not true at all, the expanded you mention is we can now just see what was in the overscan area of old 4x3 tvs

IF you would actually compare the dvd's of THE DUKES to the cropped CMT HD presentations, you see that there is a HUGE amount of cropping on top and bottom of screen that loses picture

yep! There's so much on the side it's amazing. I was watching a Waltons (the one with sissy Spacek from season 1) and you can see a crew member holding onto the door of the Walton's truck as they are traveling down the road! Same episode you can see the boom mic holder's hand and the mic too! :D all that would be missing on a boob tube. also, I was watching a Sanford and Son (I think season 5) and at the end of the credits as Fred and Lemont are exiting to the left of the the building, off to the right you can see a member of the crew. that's not in every opening credit...

It's funny, Mr. Walton was driving and I was thought he should punch that guy! But then I thought that wouldn't be the way of him. He'd stop and ask the guy to remove himself so he doesn't get hurt. he was a good man!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks