What's new

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I worry about the Stone Mountain carving. I'm sure they won't put a big old X over it or anything. But, my grandma lived near it and for a time you could see it from her backyard, until my grandfather died and no one cut back the growth as he'd been doing just so we could see it. Nostalgic place.

Life without People did an episode about GA and mentioned the mountain being one of the things that should last as long as the earth. If aliens show up and find us gone, that mountain and carving will be one of the things they'll see and begin to wonder about us. :D

I just watched Six Pack a few weeks back, the Kenny Rogers movie. There's a scene when he's dumped near the mountain and they show the carving. I guess that movie is in question now too.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
According to TV Land, and people like them, this show should be banned for featuring the Confederate Flag.

What about this episode of The Beverly Hillbillies from season 6? Should it be banned, too? People need to rebel against TV Land, and tell them, "Enough is Enough".

be140540ff05100a867abb0efa32cea6.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow, The Dukes season sets are currently Bestsellers at the top of the Amazon top 100 in movies, and TV department.

Scalpers? probably.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Bryan^H said:
Wow, The Dukes season sets are currently Bestsellers at the top of the Amazon top 100 in movies, and TV department.
Scalpers? probably.
That'a what happens when Warner bows to pressure, all because of ONE misguided individual.

BTW, I found out that last night, Cartoon Network, which Warner owns, showed an episode of The Cleveland Show, with the confederate flags and everything.

This reeks of hypocrisy, and nobody, including Warner, can tell me otherwise.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Tony Bensley said:
While I respect Bubba's decision as the owner of the General Lee, I also find this level of caving in to today's PC sensibilities rather disturbing!

If one carefully examines the situation, it has nothing to do with "PC sensibilities" and everything to do with economics.

These companies dropping any association with the flag are doing so to prevent people from boycotting their products

or brands. They had no issue with the flag BEFORE it became a problem in the media after the church shooting.

These flags were offensive to "PC sensibilities" for decades before, what's changed is the current social media response,

and the economic threat that represents.

It's a real shame people cannot understand the difference in context between historical and contemporary culture.

Mike's example a few posts back uses a perfect example, Gone With the Wind. The point should be, that watching

racist or other culturally divisive material SHOULD have a reaction... and that reaction should be remembered.

If you see a racist cartoon with horrible caricatures of Asians and other minorities, the reaction is to see it for what

it is - offensive and ignorant. I don't need to have it sanitized for delicate sensibilities, i'm smart enough to understand

the difference between "coloured" drinking fountains in 1960 and 2015. Likewise, there is a huge difference between

a confederate flag on a tv car in the 1970s, and one flying at the state capital in 2015. Aparently that's too nuanced

for some people to understand.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Forgive me if this post violates the terms of posting, but "Politically Correct' doesn't mean "Constitutionally Correct". If a show offends someone DON'T WATCH IT! Remember Majorities have Constitutional Rights too. USE THEM!!!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Ron Lee Green said:
And now...the current owner of the General Lee used in the TV show, Bubba Watson, announces he'll paint over Confederate flag on General Lee. On Thursday, the two-time Masters champion tweeted his decision to paint over it with the American flag.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/bubba-watson-announces-hell-paint-over-confederate-flag-on-general-lee/ar-AAcuM5h?ocid=HPCDHP

I wonder if Warners will do the same thing and digitally alter any footage with the General Lee now??

Sorry, but that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Like it or not that flag is PART of the car. If you paint over it, it is NOT the General Lee anymore. You can pretend it is but it's not. Like someone else said, it's just another car. I think I recently saw a youtube video of someone who painted the American Flag on their General Lee and I didn't like it at all. If he's that offended by it, why buy the car to begin with?

I think another reason why DoH is a #1 seller is because people are afraid WB will pull it off the shelves and then they will have to pay quadruple the price to get it off Ebay. I just bought all the seasons (except season 1) off Amazon. It was more out of fear than want.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A few weeks ago I ordered the flipper disc sets (seasons 2, 3, and 6) of The Dukes of Hazzard, a few days before the Dylan Roof shooting happened. (They were my second copies of these sets, in the event my old flipper discs go bad). They were around $10-$12 a pop at the time.

In light of recent world events, I strongly suspect we will never see seasons 2, 3, and 6 re-released as single-sided discs.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
I saw a Youtube video clip about how the duke boys transformed an old shabby looking car into the brightly orange painted General Lee.

Is this from one of the seasons episodes? If so, which one? I only have season 1 on DVD and I thought perhaps it was part of the series 1st episode but it wasn't.

EDIT: It's ok, I found the answer. Series 7 - episode 1 Happy Birthday, General Lee.

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
Since the PC police are out in full force, the Dukes isn't the only classic show we should stock up on before it gets banned. I've made a short list of other classic shows that could possibly upset the PC police and be pulled off the market in the future.

• All in the Family - Archie's bigotry.
  • Cheers - Portrayed a bunch of men sitting around a bar drinking alcohol all day.
  • The Honeymooners - Ralph often threatened domestic violence against women buy threatening to send Alice to the moon.
  • The Jeffersons - Use of the word honky.
  • Little House on the Prairie - Use of the N word.
  • I Love Lucy - Ricky, Lucy, Fred, and Ethel smoked cigarettes on the show.
  • Sanford and Son - Fred was verbally abusive to his son by calling him a dummy and often threatened violence against Aunt Esther.
  • Three's Company - Mr. Roper and Mr. Furley often made gay jokes at Jack's expense and liked to refer to him as one of the girls.
This is just a sample. I'm sure there is much more that can be added to the list.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
t2smith said:
Since the PC police are out in full force, the Dukes isn't the only classic show we should stock up on before it gets banned. I've made a short list of other classic shows that could possibly upset the PC police and be pulled off the market in the future.

• All in the Family - Archie's bigotry.

You'd think the character's prejudice being there to be made fun of would be obvious to all, but the original UK show on which All in the Family was based (Till Death Us Do Part) has been, quite frankly, treated very shabbily by the BBC themselves, let alone critics. People seem to have missed the point of Alf Garnett's bigoted nature, which anyone with half a brain should know is meant to be made fun of, but some people have taken the wrong way and is seen to be a glorification of such absurd attitudes, and so this show, recognised by many as a true classic of British television, has been relegated to mostly sit neglected in the BBC archives. Of course, the UK show goes a bit further than the US ones in the main character using inflammatory language (I don't think Archie Bunker ever got away with "coons"), so such as that immediately sets off alarm bells, but sometimes you have to show a bigot exactly for what he is, rather than trying to present a sanitised version, which wouldn't seem as true-to-life.

It's quite telling that when several missing episodes turned up in the last few years (up to a half-dozen over the last decade), none of those discoveries have been released on DVD, and only one or two even merited a repeat broadcast on the barely-watched BBC4 channel, but when a missing episode of something like Dad's Army turns up, it gets a repeat broadcast almost immediately and it's only natural to assume it will be on DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Fred was always warning Lamont about "white women". Odd thing, I find it harlarious! Prob a direct quote: "stay away from them white women son..." :D

Played the song by Confederate Railroad this morning.. :P "sunday in the south", GREAT song, reminds me of Little House and going to church. It mentions the Confed Flag flying... it's not celebrating slavery either.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
AndyMcKinney said:
You'd think the character's prejudice being there to be made fun of would be obvious to all, but the original UK show on which All in the Family was based (Till Death Us Do Part) has been, quite frankly, treated very shabbily by the BBC themselves, let alone critics, and in particular the central characters bigoted nature, which as we all know is meant to be made fun of, but some people have taken the wrong way and think he glorifies such idiocy, and so this show, recognised by many as a true classic of British television, has been relegated to mostly sit neglected in the BBC archives. It's quite telling that when several missing episodes turned up in the last few years (up to a half-dozen over the last decade), none of those discoveries have been released on DVD, and only one or two even merited a repeat broadcast on the barely-watched BBC4 channel, but when a missing episode of something like Dad's Army turns up, it gets a repeat broadcast almost immediately and it's only natural to assume it will be on DVD.
I've been watching Open all Hours, and it goes a long way in poking fun at stutterers.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
stringbean said:
...so anyway,..meanwhile, back to the Dukes Of Hazzard.....
...And back to the question regarding any future Blu-ray issue for the Dukes of Hazzard County, which appears less real, and ever more mythical these days! :P

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Powell&Pressburger said:
yeah Dukes have been out of stock direct from Amazon for at least a week now. The only season I wasn't able to secure so far is Season 5.

For those desperate for Season Sets try checking stock at your local Barnes & Noble of check in store stock on their website. Too bad just missed the 40% off DVD /BLLU sale I bought a few seasons at Barnes though with some 20% off coupons on top of my member discount.

I don't think they will pull the show out of DVD circulation but some of the sets could get artwork or case updates.

Season 1 was re-issued a few years ago in a plastic case instead of the Digibook the plus is that the discs are single sided. Old digibook of Season one was double sided.

Season 4 is rediculous they used I think 9 DVD discs! Must have been single layered instead of dual layered discs. that set is the thickest set unless 5 beats it. i secured a season 5 price on amazon at about 18.50 before the price jumped to over 20 ish.

Don't forget Warner Bros home video website is selling all of the box sets at a great price. Not sure why people on Ebay are paying over $80.00 for season one when they can get them here for a quarter of that price. Here's season five for you.

http://www.wbshop.com/product/dukes+of+hazzard-+the+complete+fifth+season+dvd+1000002632.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I have all Seven seasons of the show now. But many searching for Season 1 in the re-issued edition could also check Barnes & Noble I found a copy in store stock and the discs are single sided. (Just in a plastic case instead of the original digibook flipper disc version)

Sorry tried to add the link for Barnes link but each time I add the link and test it says not found.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks