What's new

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
With Dukes of Hazzard now airing on CMT in HD, has anyone heard anything about Dukes maybe coming to blu-ray? CMT is editing the show and cropping the picture. I'm not interested in a blu release with cropped picture, but if it's uncropped and unedited, I'll buy it. A new release would also be a chance to fix some problem episodes from the DVD releases. Carnival of Thrills and Ten Million Dollar Sheriff are the cut syndicated versions. Treasure of Hazzard is missing it's teaser.

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
I'm with you. If Warner issues a Blu ray set, I am all in for it and ready to buy. But if they release them in the cropped widescreen format that TNT is showing I will not buy them. Also, they have to restore all of the episodes to their uncut night of broadcast showing.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
jeremy223 said:
With Dukes of Hazzard now airing on CMT in HD, has anyone heard anything about Dukes maybe coming to blu-ray? CMT is editing the show and cropping the picture. I'm not interested in a blu release with cropped picture, but if it's uncropped and unedited, I'll buy it. A new release would also be a chance to fix some problem episodes from the DVD releases. Carnival of Thrills and Ten Million Dollar Sheriff are the cut syndicated versions. Treasure of Hazzard is missing it's teaser.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the versions already released on DVD are from the HD masters (albeit in the correct aspect ratio and unedited, apart from the 'problem' episodes already cited above). If so, I certainly wouldn't expect WB to go back and fix any problem.

Of course, I don't expect WB to put this out on Blu-Ray either.

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
Dukes may not be as popular as Star Trek, but putting Dukes on blu ray would be easier than Star Trek, meaning it wouldn't have to sell as many copies to be profitable. If its true some seasons were edited on video, all they need to do is find all the film footage and edit it back together. Maybe since CMT is airing the show in HD, that means all that work has already been done. I don't know if the CMT showings are brand new masters or upconverted dvds or what.

I'm hoping Dukes replicates what happened with Star Trek Remastered, where the edited HD episodes aired in syndication for a year or so and then were released on dvd and blu ray.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since The Dukes Of Hazard has been around for nearly 50 years, has had 5 TV series & about a dozen movies, countless home video releases, dozens of soundtrack records, tapes & CDs, probably thousands of comic books & novels, thousands of toys (from prop replicas that cost thousands of dollars all the way down to a $5 action figure), has conventions where some fans have made costumes of the characters, has an insanely devoted fan following and has actually spawned a language, I agree that it's far more popular than Star Trek.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
jeremy223 said:
Dukes may not be as popular as Star Trek
It isn't, but that doesn't mean it won't see a Blu-Ray release.Considering Dukes sold great #'s on dvd for Warner Brothers, I think it is definite lock for a Blu release down the line.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I think The Dukes of Hazzard would look good on blu-ray considering the number of outside scenes and stunts being performed. If they could go back to the original elements and go HD with it, it would be wonderful. I know the show is somewhat formulaic but I always was glued to the TV on Friday nights to watch!

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
Radioman970 said:
I hope they redo all the scenes with the General Lee in them. It's needs some cgi cleanup.
You're kidding, right? That's what made it so charming, was the the General Lee was USED, and not some perfect, pristine, just-off-the-assembly-line car. It made the show believable, and the General Lee didn't look out of place in Hazzard County.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bill Waits said:
You're kidding, right? That's what made it so charming, was the the General Lee was USED, and not some perfect, pristine, just-off-the-assembly-line car. It made the show believable, and the General Lee didn't look out of place in Hazzard County.
That Rebel flag on the roof has got ta go! I mean... it's 2014!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
AndyMcKinney said:
I think that might have been a bit of sarcasm...
kidding all over the place! :D

It would be funny to see what they might do to change things up. Daisy's dukes could be a little shorter I think. woo hoo!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
kidding all over the place! :D

It would be funny to see what they might do to change things up. Daisy's dukes could be a little shorter I think. woo hoo!
I know if they were doing it today, they wouldn't require the actress to wear pantyhose under them! Very ridiculous "rule", given that the bikini she wears in the opening credits is much tinier than those shorts. I think ABC standards and practices had a similar rule on the set of Three's Company.

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
AndyMcKinney said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the versions already released on DVD are from the HD masters (albeit in the correct aspect ratio and unedited, apart from the 'problem' episodes already cited above). If so, I certainly wouldn't expect WB to go back and fix any problem.

Of course, I don't expect WB to put this out on Blu-Ray either.
I think these are new prints. The colors are different and I've noticed some picture clean up and picture stabilization. Just watching "Double Sting" tonight, there is an obvious difference at the very beginning where the Dukes are run off the road. On the dvd, this scene looks like it takes place at dusk and both cars are using their headlights to see. On the hd print, this scene is much brighter. It looks like the cars have their headlights on in broad daylight.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jeremy223 said:
I watched it on CMT tonight and didn't notice any cropping; I had full frame. The picture does look a lot sharper than in the past, too.

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
Ron1973 said:
I watched it on CMT tonight and didn't notice any cropping; I had full frame. The picture does look a lot sharper than in the past, too.
Are you sure it was full frame? I haven't watched all the episodes that CMT have shown, but everyone I have seen has been majorly cropped. I don't get CMT in hd, but I would have thought the aspect ratio would be the same on CMT and CMT HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks