What's new

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Andrew
TravisR said:
Actually, that's a really good point. A more than 30 year old show is too old for the current incarnation of TV Land. If it's off their channel, it's probably due to the age of the show & a change in programming (that Peter pointed out) and not the flag on top of the car. They just wanted to use the hubbub as a way to try to look good while moving towards new programming.

All that being said, I imagine some other channel will pick up the show at some point in the near future.
The TV Land of the late '90s and early '00s couldn't last forever. Audiences age. Sure, the "golden age" TV Land might've introduced younger audiences to shows of the past, but TV Land could keep its old brand viable to advertisers for so long. So this is why you've got the "new" TV Land whose new target audience is GenX as opposed to those old enough to have seen Dukes [OK, Dukes is a GenX show since it was early '80s], Bonanza, Andy Griffith, etc. in primetime.

I wonder why it is that cable channels are going younger and hipper, when the "younger and hipper" audience is cutting the cord and flocking towards newer, on-demand media like Hulu, DVD/Bluray, Netflix.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
yeah Dukes have been out of stock direct from Amazon for at least a week now. The only season I wasn't able to secure so far is Season 5.

For those desperate for Season Sets try checking stock at your local Barnes & Noble of check in store stock on their website. Too bad just missed the 40% off DVD /BLLU sale I bought a few seasons at Barnes though with some 20% off coupons on top of my member discount.

I don't think they will pull the show out of DVD circulation but some of the sets could get artwork or case updates.

Season 1 was re-issued a few years ago in a plastic case instead of the Digibook the plus is that the discs are single sided. Old digibook of Season one was double sided.

Season 4 is rediculous they used I think 9 DVD discs! Must have been single layered instead of dual layered discs. that set is the thickest set unless 5 beats it. i secured a season 5 price on amazon at about 18.50 before the price jumped to over 20 ish.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
One of my local half priced books had the old Season 1 set used. But who knows with other locations. I swear Walmart used to stock this show like it was Mountain Dew for the longest time.

Real Name
Andrew
TravisR said:
Actually, that's a really good point. A more than 30 year old show is too old for the current incarnation of TV Land. If it's off their channel, it's probably due to the age of the show & a change in programming (that Peter pointed out) and not the flag on top of the car. They just wanted to use the hubbub as a way to try to look good while moving towards new programming.

All that being said, I imagine some other channel will pick up the show at some point in the near future.
The current incarnation of TV Land currently shows these programs from 1985 & earlier in syndication:
  • Three's Company (1977-1984) (I don't know if TVL's syndie package includes the sequel Three's a Crowd or spinoff The Ropers, both of which are on Antenna TV along with 3C)
  • Gilligan's Island (1964-1967)
  • Gunsmoke (1955-1975)
  • Bonanza (1959-1973)
All of which are shown in the daytime hours, when these shows' older target audiences are more likely at home watching. (But Thursday night has an hour of Gilligan at 7pm.)

Friday, apparently as July 4 weekend specials, TVL shows two movies from the late '80s/early '90s (GenX), Beverly Hills Cop 2 and Days of Thunder.

Then on Saturday/Sunday, there are marathons of The Golden Girls (1985-1992) and Reba (2001-2007).

For some reason, TV Land's Monday July 6 schedule still lists two episodes of Dukes to be shown at 5 & 6pm. And so for July 7.

And the weekend after next, TV Land is showing nothing but 1980s & after shows like Golden Girls.

TV Land has become a shell of its former self.

Real Name
Andrew
I just discovered this opinion article that Ben Jones, who played Cooter on Dukes, wrote for a New York Times debate about the Confederate Flag: The Confederate Flag Is a Matter of Pride and Heritage, Not Hatred

Merely TWO DAYS after the Charleston shooting.

Combine that with Jones's all-caps facebook rant in defense of the flag, five days after the NY Times article.

Perhaps this is what made TV Land kiss the show goodbye. It couldn't have coincided with an expiring syndication contract, since TVL still shows Dukes episodes to be shown in the days after July 4 weekend.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I guess getting Dukes on blu-ray is looking pretty slim right now.:(

Oh, and if you want season 1, check ebay. There's a set going for $1000.00.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^ the price of the last set they sold was $119. a seller on amazon's marketplace once told me he'd price stuff way out there when he was going on vacation or ran out of stock.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Radioman970 said:
a seller on amazon's marketplace once told me he'd price stuff way out there when he was going on vacation or ran out of stock.

Yes, much easier to change pricing on your seller account than to delete the listing and then re-list once you are back in town - or able to sale. Was always curious about that.

No one should have to pay ultra expensive prices for this show. More stock will be back on amazon. My Season 5 set that shows expected 11-14 days ended up as shipping today shipped and sold by amazon. So they are replenishing stock just depends on all he pending orders before they can list it as in stock on the site.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
younger1968 said:
TVland just banned the dukes! This is sad day for tv!

Banning The Dukes of Hazzard because their car had the admittedly racist Confederate flag on it, is still absurd because this show was made more than 3 decades ago, not last week, and the show serves as a kind of historical time capsule indicating what was acceptable in the popular culture of the 1970s.

If the Dukes should be banned, then Gone With The Wind needs to go too, because what could be more racist than a film that basically portrays black people as happy to be slaves. That portrayal of slavery was always absurd, but the fact remains that even with its ill conceived attitude about slavery, Gone With The Wind is a prime example of Hollywood craftsmanship bringing about a highly entertaining epic that countless people have enjoyed, while at the same time, usually realizing that the film's take on slavery was far from historically accurate. But the film was based on a book, that itself was a work of fiction, and was certainly never intended to be any kind of documentary.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
the flag on the car represents the rebels they were, running away from a corrupt law enforcement, Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltraine. that's about it. nothing there celebrating racism in the least. :(

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
As was suggested a little further up, I think the recent flag controversy was just a good excuse to score some 'political correctness' points for TV Land while pulling a show that they were most likely going to pull anyway, due to their re-branding.

The real test will be whether Warner Bros. takes things too far and withholds the show from future syndication deals (and/or allows the DVDs to go permanently OOP).

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I think Warners best plan would let the show go out of TV syndication and let the DVD show sales keep going. I am surprised WB has yet to issue a complete series box set with all discs single sided. I got my Season 5 set del. direct from amazon today so now I have the complete series minus the TV movies and animated series.

Honestly Bubba repainting the car is a bit over the top. Do they really need to go this far. The flag was never used in a negative on the show and I never thought of it that way ever growing up watching the TV show. Publicity stunt if I ever heard one. It will be forgotten once it is done, thus ruining a TV show collector item.

As for WB digitally removing the flag from all episodes I don't see it happening it would cost a ton of money and then who would want to watch it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ron Lee Green said:
And now...the current owner of the General Lee used in the TV show, Bubba Watson, announces he'll paint over Confederate flag on General Lee. On Thursday, the two-time Masters champion tweeted his decision to paint over it with the American flag.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/bubba-watson-announces-hell-paint-over-confederate-flag-on-general-lee/ar-AAcuM5h?ocid=HPCDHP

I wonder if Warners will do the same thing and digitally alter any footage with the General Lee now??
Hi Ron!

While I respect Bubba's decision as the owner of the General Lee, I also find this level of caving in to today's PC sensibilities rather disturbing!

I suppose that it'll end with a rechristened, "GL" shorthand? :P

SHEESH!

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Ron Lee Green said:
And now...the current owner of the General Lee used in the TV show, Bubba Watson, announces he'll paint over Confederate flag on General Lee. On Thursday, the two-time Masters champion tweeted his decision to paint over it with the American flag.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/bubba-watson-announces-hell-paint-over-confederate-flag-on-general-lee/ar-AAcuM5h?ocid=HPCDHP

I wonder if Warners will do the same thing and digitally alter any footage with the General Lee now??

It is sick to alter history, and I say this as someone who is not a fan of the Confederate Flag.

And anyone at Warner who even THINKS about digitally altering the car, should not be allowed to hold employment. Ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks