What's new

DTS problem (1 Viewer)

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I currently have a DVD player that doubles as a receiver for the surround sound. The player/receiver does not support DTS. If I were to get a DVD player that supports DTS, could I hook it up to my current player and get DTS sound?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm not clear on what kind of system you have. If you can come up with a brand and model number the question would be easier to answer.

greg_t

Screenwriter
There are two possible paths to get DTS sound. Number one is the preferred method. The second will also work.

1. You need a dvd player that has the "DTS Digital Out" label. This means the player will pass the DTS signal. You must then have a receiver with a built in DTS Decoder. Such a receiver will have a "DTS Digital Surround " label on the front of it. You connect the two with either a fiber optic or digital coaxil cable.

2. Get a DVD player that has a built in DTS decoder. You must also have a "digital Ready" receiver. This receiver will have 6 RCA inputs, one for each of the 5 discrete channels and another for the lfe channel. You will then connect the dvd player to the receiver using 6 audio cables from the 6 channel outputs on the dvd player to the 6 channel inputs on the receiver.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I currently have a DVD player that doubles as a receiver for the surround sound. The player/receiver does not support DTS. If I were to get a DVD player that supports DTS, could I hook it up to my current player and get DTS sound?
=========================================

Jake,

I'm assuming what you have is a dvd player and receiver all in one box that does not support DTS (has no DTS logo on the front).

If this is the case it will not decode DTS fed into it via a digital connection. If it has 5.1 analog inputs it can be used in conjunction with a separate dvd player that has a built-in dts decoder, but otherwise you're out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks