What's new

Dts DVD non Dts reciever (1 Viewer)

David Kyser

Agent
I have a DVD with Dts and 6 rca outputs for sound. If I buy a reciever without Dts but with 6 channel input will my sound have the Dts? I want to get off cheap on this reciever and can find a good deal on one without Dts.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
technically it is possible using the Analog outputs but there will be limited to no BASS management.

Please let us know if it works.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Assuming your DVD player has a DTS decoder built in, it should work. Some earlier players had Dolby Digital Decoders and not DTS ones, but could pass DTS through a bitstream coaxial/toslink connection so if you receiver had a DTS decoder it would still work. The point being, check the manual and make sure the DVD player can decode DTS. Bass Management will be an issue, but not that big of one I would guess if you are trying to save cash by not replacing the receiver.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Assuming that the DVD player has Built-in DD or DTS otherwise it wont come with 5 analog outs right?:frowning:

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
If your DVD player has the built-in DD and/or DTS decoder, it will work fine. I have 2 DVD players with built-in decoders, a JVC(DD) and a Panasonic RP91(DD and DTS decoder built-in). I have connected them to my Nakamichi receiver through the 5.1 inputs. Both of these DVD players have extensive bass-management and the results have been good with the JVC and very good with the Panny. The DTS thru the Panny is fantastic.

David Kyser

Agent
I'm building a real hodge-podge system. I tried it tonight and it seems to work. The DVD has the 6 outputs and has the Dts symbol on it. I am buying a reciever with prologic and dolby but no Dts for $140 (harman kardon). I am using my old stereo reciever to power two passive subs from the sub out on the DVD. It sounds good, the subs are high end infinity's as are my other speakers. Just goes to show that the speakers are the most important investment. I would invest more in a reciever except no one makes a reciever with a subwoofer amp built in.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
David, just because your DVD player has the DTS logo doesn't mean it has a built-in DTS decoder. It may simply mean it outputs the DTS signal through its digital output. My JVC DVD player has the 5.1 outputs, but only the DD decoder, not a DTS decoder. If you want DTS, make sure your player has the decoder built-in. If not, you can get a player now days for $300-400 that has it.

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
This can be a great budget solution. I also use a decoding dvd player -w- a digital "ready" receiver. My Panasonic DVD RV80 has both DD and DTS built in. Works great with a older receiver that I bought NEW/IN BOX for a bargain price... Marantz SR96. I use an integrated amp from my 2 channel days to power my subs. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Kyser

Agent
Well this DVD isn't Dts decoding, how misleading. Any way from what I am reading Dts isn't something I will spend $150 for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks