DTS LD problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg_t, Jan 5, 2002.

1. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I'm having a problem with my DTS LD's. I'm using a Pioneer Elite CLD 52 LD player with an RCA DD/DTS reciever. When playing a dts ld, the reciever will, at random, auto switch from dts to pro logic, which results in white noise. This occurs on differnet DTS lasers and at random times, and sometimes not at all. I have no problems playing DTS DVD's. I have connected the laser to the reciever using both digital coaxil and fiber optic cables, but it still happens regardless of the output. I have played non dts lasers using both outputs with no problems. As far as I can tell, it has to be the decoder and not the LD outputs.

I read somewhere that some recievers have dts decoders that have a problem maintaing a lock on the dts bitstream. Does this sound like the problem I'm having? Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it could be?

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

bump

3. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Hi Greg.
    Actually, no, you are not alone at all.
    For I recently purchased an Onkyo 797 myself and inside of the manual there is a disclaimed warning of sorts. The manual states that even if the digital connection is made between player and receiver, some DTS CD's and LD's will not be able to play on certain machines due to the player's inability to properly decode the DTS data bitstream from some DTS CD'S AND LD's, owing to its sound being processed as it is.
    For me, this happened on a couple of DTS LD's, namely The Nightmare Before Christmas and Last Man Standing. Besides changing players, going from my Pioneer 702 to my Pioneer 406 (Both of which are set up in my system), I also tried out a stronger cable as well, bringing in a Monster Interlink 400 Coaxial Digital Audio Cable to replace my Rectecon Digital Audio Cable.
    Next up, I tried out another DTS LD, The Jackal, through the 702. It played straight on through without any problem at all whatsoever. And as for the aforementioned two, well, they played just fine and nicely through the 406 without problem, which is connected with a Monster TOSLINK optical digital audio cable (I tried that also throguth the 702 but to no avail). If you do not mind me asking, Greg, what type of cable are you using for the audio connection from your laserdisc player to your RCA DD/DTS receiver? Just curious, as it brings me to the following paragraph:
    So, yes, I believe it could be something with the DTS processors used nowadays. Or maybe it is the age of the machine? Or the type of cable in use for digital audio playback? Or a culmination of all three in some way or another? Questions abound worth asking. I am an inquiring mind who is interested in learning and knowing. [​IMG]

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Hi Tina,

Thanks for your post. I am using Acoustic Research Pro series cables. I have tried both Toslink and digital coaxil. Both cables are brand new. It plays non dts fine through the digital outputs so I figured it must be the decoder. I'm going to try to find an elite cld 79 or a cld 704 and see if it makes any difference as I need another player anyway. It's just funny how sometimes it will play all the way through and then other times it will only play for 5 minutes. It's always random. If I turn the LD player off and back on, it works again. Very odd.

Greg

5. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    You're welcome, Greg.
    Yes, good choices on the Accoustic Research cables, IMHO. I am going to try out one of their S-video cables for use on my 702 in the coming month.
    Yes, before the Monster switch, the 702 fared well for me on LPCM playback. But the problems always came on DTS. Hmmmm....
    But a good idea, as well as fine choices, on looking to upgrade to either a Pioneer 704 or an ELITE 79. Be it that both are newer machines than the ELITE 52, maybe that could play a part in better DTS consistency. (Alas, my 406 has no problem at all on DTS!) Fortunately, you were able to resume playback after shutting down and turning things back on again. That failed for me.
    Whatever you decide, Greg, please let me know how it all turns out. [​IMG]

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Hi Tina[​IMG] ! It's a bird, it's plane, no it's DTS Woman!
    Greg, does your reciever have auto-select for sound format only? My head unit allows you to go through the list and lock into one or I can use auto-detect. Can U do this? Would it help? I don't know if a new player will solve your DTS-lock problem, but the newer players have a better pic.
    I'm well aquainted with the CLD-52. That was my first auto-flip player about a decade ago. My mom stille has and uses it. Even a CLD-59 would have a little better pic. Of course CLD's 704, 79, and 99 would all be progressively even better. Best wishes from Laserland!

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Thanks to Tina and Racheal for the responses!

Racheal, My reciever only does an autodetect. I cannot lock onto dts to my knowledge. I'm sure that it would solve my problem if the reciever had the ability to lock on to the dts signal. That is a feature I will have to make sure my next reciever has. Also, does a cld 703 give the same picture quality as the 704? To my knowledge the only difference between them is the AC3 out on the 704, and I'm not concerned with that. I want to get either a cld 79, 703, or 704, I just want the one that will give me the best picture quality.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I think I'm having a similar problem in my Technics DVD-A10 DVD player. I have about 15 DTS CDs, and ONE of them (Sting: Nothing Like The Sun I believe) will only play as a regular stereo CD, it absolutely will NOT be recognized as a DTS CD. Through my Millenium it's no problem.

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Greg, the 703 and 704 are the same besides the AC-3 output. The 79 is a slightly better player IMO. There are a couple of 79's on e-bay presently. They made the 79 till '97 so you could get a newer player with this model, maybe? The Elite models are just better built anyway and feature terrific CD playback too. It a shame about your reciever. DTS LDs and CDs give problems to quite a few recievers, judging by what folks say on this board and others. Best wishes!