Is this possible? Outputting 5.1 non-dvd audio to HTreciever

Discussion in 'Computers' started by NickSo, Jun 22, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I picked up an optical cable today and i was tryin to hookup my Hercules Fortissimo II to my home theater reciever.

Some relevant info:
    - WinXPPro SP1
    - Hercules Fortissimo II DE sound card
    - WinDVD and PowerDVD

The main thing im trying to get 5.1 on my HT is the HD files i downloaded from KevinYee's site, and also the Halo2 WMV video thats supposed to be in 5.1 as well. In WinDVD, when i check the file info for the HD files, it says:

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The Halo 2 trailer does not really have DD5.1. It is in fact a proprietary Windows Media Player audio format that supports 5.1 surround sound that uses the DirectSound 3D API. Thus, the discrete channels are routed to the sound card's drivers and hardware, which may or may not support true Dolby Digital 5.1 output that can be used by your receiver.

Unfortunately, ONLY the nForce motherboards with SoundStorm audio (same chip as used in the XBox) can take this WMV audio stream, such as the one used in the Halo2 gameplay movie and the T2:Extreme HD DVD-ROM, and mix it into true DD5.1 output.

There is no sound card in the market that can do this. You are stuck with the 5.1 analog outputs on your card. [​IMG]

Games sound fantastic on an nforce rig...it's too bad that no one has a competitive solution to match.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Dang.. yeah i read your reply on the Halo2 thread in VGSOFTWARE... Do you know how i can convert the WMV file to a DVD file that already has the video/audio encoded? Like if i was playing a DVD in my computer, it would output the DD 5.1 fine coz it was encoded. Can I convert the WMV to the same format except the file would be on my computer rather than on a DVD?

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

No idea. Theoretically, you could find a friend who was wise [​IMG] enough to get an nforce motherboard with Soundstorm, and has the SP/DIF-in breakout card, to record the raw DD5.1 audio stream to itself, then spend the requisite day or two to properly encode it in an AC-3 stream useable by a DVD player using an expensive DVD creation software (or an incredibly difficult to use free one).

The problem is that I do no know of anyone who has done this, and if they claim they have, they are incapable of explaining the procedure to anyone in english. [​IMG]

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Oh wait, the above may not be possible anyways because the nforce outputs DD5.1 at 640kbps. It may not be possible to use that bitrate with a regular DVD player, if it only allows 448kbps. Hmmm.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Hey Nick
    I have the same audio card and I am having a hard time input audio into my computer. Have you had any luck at inputing digital data and writing it to a cd/ dvd?

7. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    The only way I found that I can play DTS CDs on my system is with WinDVD (don't have PowerDVD). Interestingly, it plays them too fast, no matter what settings I change.

Can you play DTS CDs with WinDVD, Nick?

-Christian

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Play it through computer speakers or through HT in actual DTS?

Former, yes.. latter, no...

I have not tried recording from a digital source, maybe ill try it soon... i dont wanna do it right now and lug my computer back into my ht [​IMG]

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Actually, I have been able to play DTS CDs with WinDVD 4, but not using the SP/DIF passthrough, only by using WinDVD's software decoding feature, which converts 44.1KHz DTS into DirectSound3D calls, which routes the discrete channels to your soundcard driver/hardware. It's pretty cool listening to a DTS CD while listening to Internet Messaging and Windows sound events. [​IMG]

10. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens
    No, I meant through S/PDIF. My 6 channel input is already in use on my receiver, and only one cable from my computer to the receiver is so much nicer anyway :).

-Christian

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah i meant the optical out too.. i have not gotten it to work yet, but im sure its very possible...

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Actually, what I said can be applied to optical out, if you have an nForce machine. The DTS is decoded and internally sent to the sound card driver, which on an nForce means it gets converted back to DD5.1 [​IMG]

I can also tell WinDVD to reconvert it to Dolby Prologic II, which is another scary thought that would probably flay your mind if you ever tried it!

Hmmm, I do recall reading on the nForcersHQ.net forums that many sound cards cannot output 44.1kHz through the SP/DIF out, including the nforce solutions and the Audigy 1 (I don't know about the Audigy 2), so in those cases it would be impossible to play a DTS CD with the SPDIF passthrough, as the digital out is only clocked at 48khz on these cards. [​IMG]

I was able to independently verify that a year ago when I tried to play a DTS CD with SPDIF digital passthrough enabled, and got high-pitched playback. My receiver only got a 48khz DTS signal, not the correct 44.1khz one. Not quite chipmunk, but annoying all the same.

13. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens
    I have an Audigy 1 Platinum and am aware of the resampling that's supposedly going on. That's why I was surprised to see WinDVD put out a DTS signal at all. I expected it to just produce noise like any other CD player I tried, because I don't think the DTS in the PCM stream would still be recognizable after the upsampling?

On a sidenote, there is a control to switch between 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz output for the card. Made no difference, though.

-Christian