What's new

Dts 6.1? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Beals

Grip
My reciever is capable of decoding both DD ETX and DTS ES (discrete and matrix). My DVD player is rated to decode both DTS and Dolby digital.

The problem is when I have a disc that supports DTS ES discrete, the reciever will not recognize the digital encoding. If I switch it back (through the DVD menu) to standard 5.1, then the reciever picks up the encoding and will play in ETX.

I was under the impression that a DTS encoder was a DTS encoder and it didn't necessairly have to be a DTS ES DVD player. So is it my DVD player causing the issue, a setting within my reciever or my method of connecting them together (oprital)?

Matt,
Try using a digital coax cable instead of the optical cable. I have heard that DTS sometimes works better with that cable. Not sure why, so it may be just be a legend, but it is worth a try. I have always hooked my dvd players up using the digital coax and have not had a problem with DTS ES Matrix or Discrete.
Good Luck,
Greg Patterson

Matt_Beals

Grip
yea, 5.1 works like a champ in standard 5.1, DD EX and DTS ES matrix. It's just the discrete center surround.

I'll try a digital coax and see what it does. I was using digital coax between my Cable reciever and the HT reciever and I noticed a huge increase in quality when when I switched it to optical. Maybe that's just a quirk in the cable box or i have really crappy coax

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Hmm...that's an odd one, and I don't know what to tell you. You can certainly try a coax cable, like Greg mentioned. Personally, I'm not so sure that'll solve the problem, but stranger things have happened.

Please let us know the model of receiver and DVD player you have, so some owners can chime in with more specific responses...

John S

Senior HTF Member
If all else fails, maybe let the DVD player do the decoding and use the 6 channel analog input????

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That wouldn't get him the seventh (rear center discrete) channel.

I think we need the player and receiver models, plus the DVD titles in question.

M.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, missing a channel when you do that for sure...
Brain fart on my part. This is a little bit of a strange one.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you SURE normal 5.1 DTS is working correctly? It sounds like a setup issue to me.

You should not have heard a HUGE difference going between coax and optical, so something else was a factor there.

Matt_Beals

Grip
well i think the coax i'm using is a crappy one. It's the one that came with my 4.1 computer speakers.

The reciever is a Onkyo HT-R520 and the DVD player is a Panasonic F-65.

The only Movie I have that is DTS ES is Blade Trinity

I have yet to try the DVD with coax VS optical, I noticed the difference between the two with my digital cable box.

The reciever detects the digital mode and automaticly switches into it. I can turn off EX/ES so it defaults to 5.1. When 5.1 is selected in the DVD menu the reciever switches to Dolby Digital. I reneable EX/ES and switch it to 6.1 in the DVD menu. The reciever then kicks out of Dolby Digital/DTS and starts treating the audio like 2 channel stereo and supplying hacked 6.1

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That sounds very much like DTS output isn't yet enabled in your DVD player's setup menu (not the disc menu, but the player's menu).

What regular DTS titles have you played? What happens when you play them?

M.

Matt_Beals

Grip
yea, stupid me. Went into the player's setup menu and for some reason DTS was set to PCM instead of bitstream while DD was already set right. It's running discrete now.

Thanks guys

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'd like to know why in the world DVD players still come w/ the DTS output disabled. This causes unnecessary confusion...

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you don't actually have a DTS decoder it is real nasty, I think that's why. Some DVD's will even display a warning prompt to continue stating this when you choose DTS.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Because a raw DTS stream going to a receiver that cannot decipher it can cause damage to speakers due to the harsh noise that results. This is why (some) DVD's have a warning menu before allowing DTS to be chosen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks