What's new

Dream Theater new album (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Here is the latest news from Mike Portnoy:
Well, we will finish mixing this week and will master next week....and after that, it is in the hands of Elektra....so I suppose it is time to spill some beans!!! : )
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
The new album will be a 2CD Set consisting of Six songs:
The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
The Great Debate
Disappear
and the entire 2nd CD will consist of the 40-minute title track "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence"
Once again the album was Produced by Mike Portnoy & John Petrucci and Mixed by Kevin Shirley
An exact release date hasn't yet been confirmed, but it is slated for January 2002
Can I get a hell yeah?

Kolya

Stunt Coordinator
HELL YEAH!!
laugh.gif

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
HELL YEAH!
This is awesome news. I knew that it was slated to come out in January but I didn't know that it was a 2 CD set.
HELL YEAH!!!
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Kick-ass!
A couple of years ago, it looked like Dream Theater was struggling with being labeled as a "progressive rock" act, but with a long theme album released last year (what a f***in masterpiece) and a 40 minute track on a souble album, it looks like they got over it.
There are a lot of "prog" metal type bands out there, but it's amazing how Dream Theater constantly out-does them and takes them to school. DT rules!
I saw them perform Scenes From A Memory live twice. I think my jaw was on the floor the whole time- unf***in believable.
Let's give another Hell Yeah to Jordan Rudess, the newest member of the band, who gave a creative shot in the arm to an already fantastic band.
If anybody out there is reading this and hasn't heard these guys, do your ears a favor and check these dudes out.
Ok, I've rambled enough.
"6:00 on a Christmas morning..."

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Great News!
Once again Dream Theater says F-YOU! to the "keep it under 4 minute" radio format and keeps the progressive torch burning...Can't wait to get it.
------------------
JB
"These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Dream Theater, did you guys check out the DVD and/or the triple live album of the last Scenes From A Memory performance? Live narration, video, gospel chorus- kick-ass! The Dream Theater DVD is one of only two concert DVDs I feel are worth owning (King Crimson's Deja VROOM being the other).

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
I got the new live CD before it was pulled for the cover art (a bit eerie). The CD is amazing. I've always felt that the studio version of SFAM builds into a great climax. It now feels lessened compared to the live version. It really is excellent.
I haven't picked up the DVD yet. I heard some negative things about it so I've held off.
BTW, do you remember a post a while back that we participated in about Prog Rock. Well, since then I've picked up Spock's Beard V and The kindness of Strangers. Awesome. I'm hooked. Not a heavy as some other stuff I listen to but very, very good.
I also picked up the Transatlantic CD SMPTe and the new one Bridge Across Forever. If you don't already have SMPTe then you must go out and get it. I haven't listened to the new one a lot yet (it came out yesterday) but it's growing on me quickly. I'm not sure if it's as good as SMPTe though.
------------------

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The only problem with the Dream Theater DVD is with the PAL version. There were some technical problems, so it was discontinued and a re-released is planned. The NTSC is fine. The sound is great. Stereo only, but very clear, excellent sound (well, if you have the live CD, then you know what it sounds like. It's the same performance). The content is the album performed live, with some other songs presented as "bonus features." The cool thing about the DVD is that they show video clips portraying the story spliced in with the concert footage. DT is almost as fun to watch is they are to listen to, especially Rudess' fingers flying across the keyboards. Also, there's a commentary with all of the band members, and you get to hear the drummer's awful impression of Austin Powers. They talk about where they got some of their musical ideas from (referencing Frank Zappa and Tool, very cool) and explaining the story. Theme albums rule!
I got the initial cover art, too. It might be worth something some day, though that would be a pretty lousy way to make a buck.
Transatlantic is great. I have the first album, SMPT:e. Most of the writing was done by Neil Morse, from Spock's Beard, so it sounds more like a Beard album than anything else. The new one is supposedly more of a collaberation. Newbury comics didn't have it, so I'm going to have to order it or something, so it'll be a while until I get to hear it. I also have a Transatlantic double live album, featuring a Genesis cover, a Beatles medley, and a medley of songs by the member's respective bands (Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Marillion, Flower Kings). Lots of fun. Transatlantic is a dream come true for someone like me, who loves the music of all four of these bands.
Glad you like Spock's Beard. Echolyn is also recommended if you want to here something else in that vein.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
I got my copy of Bridge Across Forever at Newbury Comics on Newbury street. They had two copies left as of Tuesday afternoon. I originally tried the NC at Government Center but they had only one copy and it sold before I got there. The employee looked at me strange when I asked for Transatlantic, like 'Who they hell are they?'. He looked even stranger when he found out that they had already sold the one copy.
Yeah, SMPTe does sound a lot like SB. That's a good thing though.
I'll probably pick up the DT DVD in the near future. I'm kinda pissed that it's not a 5.1 track though. Can you imagine DT in 5.1?
I'll try Echolyn. Thanks for the recommendation.
------------------

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Don't hesitate to pick up the DVD. The band's commentary alone is worth the cost. I just wish they had included Metropolis 1 (which sounds incredible on the live CD set).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jim,
I finally got my hands on the new Transatlantic album. What can I say? Wonderful.
I especially love what seems like a more powerful presence by Roine Stolt. He and Morse are two of the best song writers around, and it's a real kick to hear them working together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks