What's new

Doom Patrol (2019 DC Series) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
DC Universe's second new series, Doom Patrol, is set to debut Feb. 15 on the DC streaming service. (Will this be available on Netflix in countries other than the US, like Titans?)

In any case, Timothy Dalton is starring as the Chief. But most of the Doom Patrol premiered on the fourth episode of the Titans series, where the Chief was played by Bruno Bichir. Was the role recast? Or is Bichir playing someone else?

Some posters:

doom_patrol.jpg

doom_patrol_ver2.jpg

doom_patrol_ver3.jpg

doom_patrol_ver4.jpg

doom_patrol_ver5.jpg

doom_patrol_ver6.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Some pretty big names in there, but the teaser left a bad taste in my mouth:

Felt like a cheesier, less well-executed version of what "Legends of Tomorrow" is currently knocking out of the park week after week.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
That trailer is downright scary. Considering how bad the Titans first season was and that Cyborg will eventually be ported to Titans like Garfield was, judging from this teaser of a teaser trailer, the series might be a tough sell for Warner Brothers.

I'm actually more interested in seeing the Swamp Thing trailer for that new series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This premiered today with the pilot episode. I thought it was pretty good - offbeat, strange, and interesting. The pilot handles the origins of the main characters and their sad lives. It strikes a very different tone from Titans. Timothy Dalton provides a reassuring touch as the Chief, but its Brendan Fraser that gives the episode its heart. His story is at the center of these characters. Alan Tudyk narrating is a nice touch. I really liked the use of different film techniques to showcase different time periods. I barely remember the Doom Patrol from my comics reading days, and then only the Silver Age stuff. I know they had a resurgence in the 80s and 90s but I am not familiar with it. Nevertheless, this episode was so well made that I will stick with it for the next 15 weeks.

EDIT: It should be noted the show is completely inappropriate for children. It has an abundance of profanity, plus nudity and gruesome images. I only mention this because it's not what one usually expects from this type of programming. (I wouldn't make this note on, say, Game of Thrones.) I will say that it seems both less out of place and less in your face here than in The Titans.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The second episode was a strange one, for sure, but no less compelling. There's a lot of solid character work going on in this show, and that's what keeps it interesting. I like the character of Jane, but it was a bit too convenient that just when they need to ask her what she knows about where the Chief and the town went, she changes personalities. That bit was frustrating. I really liked all the stuff with Cyborg, Rita, Larry and Cliff. It's a bizarre show, and that's its appeal.

If Legion is the Marvel Universe on acid, this is DC's answer to that.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
An ad this week on Space in Canada indicates it will be coming soon to Space, unlike Titans which is showing on Netflix in Canada. Unexpected.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I kinda wish this show wasn't on DC's streaming service, but on a bigger service instead, so more people could see it. (How big could DC's subscriber base be? Has to be smaller than CBS AA's.)

Episode 3 was more of the strange, absurd fun I have come to expect from this show. That it integrates really good character backgrounds, like Larry's in this one, makes it even better. I look forward to this show in a way I never did for Titans (a show I begrudgingly liked).

I hear Swamp Thing is coming in May. I don't even know who is behind it, but I can't wait to see what they do.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
WOW! The Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man.

Wish they would tone down the swearing. Other then that its been a WEIRD & WONDERFUL series so far.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have to say that this show hit another one out of the park this week. It was a visit to the past of sorts, as they seek out the "original" Doom Patrol.

Hopefully, like Titans, it will come to digital and blu-ray soon, so more people can see it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
This show is delightfully weird. What it lacks in technical polish is more than made up with a loopy sense of humor and unpredictable plots ,which I assume are taken from the Grant Morrison run (which I have not yet read). It's one thing to want to do something like this, but it's quite another to actually make it work.

The highlight of the show for me are Bredan Frazer's line readings. Every time he says, "what the fuck?" with that odd, Jame Gumb style delivery, it cracks me up. His comic timing with the profanities amuses me to no end.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
DC Universe is offering a month for 80¢ so I signed up.

Is there anything on this that has more then stereo?
Is there no 5.1 sound?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This show is one of the most original, strange and compelling things I have ever seen on TV. The latest episode features a musical interlude that - unlike other shows that have had them - totally works in the context of the show. I love this show. I wish more people could see it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've only started watching, got through 2 episodes last night.

I'm mostly freaked out about the Doom Mansion, because the actual mansion exterior is about 15 miles from my house, and I shot some cosplayers on the outside of the mansion (Cyclops and Jean Grey basically in front of a beat-up X-Mansion backdrop) a couple of years ago. :cool::cool::cool:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This show consistently crushes it. Brendan Frazer is the best thing about the show, closely followed by Diane Guerrero/Crazy Jane. I LOVE this show, I agree it should be on a bigger outlet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
In other news this show and all the live action shows are 4K now including a few movies if you have access to 4K when you watch DC Universe

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I started watching the Pilot episode on HBO Max. Anybody else have anything to say about this show since Seasons 1 & 2?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's bat-shit insane. And I mean that in a good way. I watched the first season on Blu-ray, as I didn't have a subscription to DC Universe. I've been watching the second season on HBO Max. I enjoy the hell out of it, and it's certainly faithful in tone to the Grant Morrison run of the comic for Vertigo. But it's certainly not for everybody. Anyone going in expecting it to be like any of the DC shows on The CW might not care for it. I think it's the first time I've ever enjoyed Brendan Fraser in anything since the first Mummy film. And Alan Tudyk as the omniscent (literally!) narrator is a stitch. And Curtis Armstrong as a hell-fire preaching cockroach.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm one or two episodes behind in Season 2, but I have been enjoying it very much. Each episode gets weird, and then brings it home with a resolution that is far from sentimental pap as possible, yet is often calm and even sweet. Timothy Dalton features in Season 2 a bit more than Season 1 and he's great. I've also enjoyed Joivan Wade more this season than last as Cyborg. April Bowlby is always another highlight.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t started S2 yet but S1 was one of the nuttiest, craziest and most entertaining tv shows I ever watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks