What's new

Don't Start A Business If You're Going to Harvard (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You'd think a person attending Harvard would be applauded for being an entrepreneur and starting their own business. Apparently, the Harvard Crimson doesn't think so.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Sounds like "the Crimson staff" need to hire Dormaid to remove the stick from their collective asses.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Who needs Dormaid? Go to a real school. :D They're getting ripped off as is. Where's Harvard's free maid service?

We got our barrels emptied at our doors along with the halls, extra rooms, and bathrooms cleaned for "free" at ND. There was also a cheap laundry service that required nothing more than chucking the laundry bag down a stairwell.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Of course the Crimson staff fail to mention that all the wealthy, privledged students don't live in dorms, they join Frats or their parents rent them apartments.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
If someone did that here, they wouldn't get any business, but it makes sense that Harvard can successfully support it. :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My personal take on this is that anyone who leaves home incapable of doing simple housework needs to get their life in order. Equally, I see no reason to urage a boycott of the service. If someone wants to advertise that they have money to burn, then so be it. But such individuals will stand out in so many other ways, that I fail to see why this should be any different.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Sometimes college students are so swamped with multiple term papers/multiple exams to prepare for that sleep becomes a luxury. Cleaning your room doesn't even register on the priorities radar. An on-campus cleaning service makes perfect sense.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Well, if they want equality across the board, I suggest school uniforms - handed out by one place in one type of cloth. No other places, including home, allowed...

And, take off any other ostentatious things. It can be done, and it is a laudable goal.

However, the students will still know who's wealthy and who's not.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that the guy is going to franchise this out to other universities and is already looking at 200K in sales.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Oh purrleease ... When I was a student I managed to get all the routine housework done and do my work. And before anyone asks, said work consisted of two 2,000 word essays and a practical report every week, plus exams (and proper essay-writing 3 hour exams, not easy multiple choice tests). I managed to keep my room tidy, do the laundry and generally cook all my meals as well. On top of that I had a full social life, represented my college at sports, etc. I was far from unique in this. It's not difficult - it's just a matter of simple time management, and I was then and still am dumbstruck when people can't do this.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

I am sure it varies a little from school to school and major to major. I only went to a state university but I commuted to the school about 30 minutes each way, was in class from 8-3 most days, and had homework/labwork/projects for 5-6 classes each semester (typically another 20 hours a week or more). I stayed with family so I didn't have to worry about the housework element but I spent 12-15 hours a day doing schoolwork on weekdays (that would be inclusive of class time). I can see that even with good time management there are people who can benefit from this service. I was also lucky that I had a student loan so I didn't have to work while in school. I knew many students who carried a full load of classes and worked 20 hours a week or more. These people had little free time to deal with anything that wasn't work or school related. I am sure there are some people in this situation in the Ivy League schools.

Cheers,

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks