What's new

Donnie Darko: Zero Box-Office. Sweet-Looking DVD! (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
This film is awesome and is going in my top 10 for 2001.
Excellent filmmaking on all levels and great acting by almost everyone involved.
And there is at least one scene that will rival a famous Fight Club scene for shaking the house and scaring the hell out of the neighbors. :) In other words, I agree with Joe, it sounded like it was happening in my house. :emoji_thumbsup:

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this movie last night and thought it was pretty good. The picture seemed to be a little bit soft though.

One thing I was wondering is: Why was it set in the '80's?

Randy Schissler

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'll second (or third!) what both Joe and Seth mentioned previously about that particular scene: "It sounded like it was happening in my house"
I don't even have a SVS - and it was amazing! :)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i agree that the image was way too soft, even considering the intents of the filmmaker and the film stock used. it did not look like this in the theater.

also, i found the transfer to be REALLY hard on the eyes. whenever there is a bright spot, it's WAY too bright, and in the majority of the film (when it's darker), there was a murkiness about it i also didn't see in the theater (and a huge loss of fine detail). it just seemed like a really unbalanced transfer.

i'm watching it on a 38" 16:9 via progressive feed. on smaller sets it's probably not bad, but on larger displays than mine i'm sure the problems are worse.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I can't believe this movie hasn't gotten a ton of press on here. This is one amazing film. It has so many layers and potential reasons for things that happen, I would have expected a least a few more pages of discussion, ala Memento but I guess that wasn't meant to be. This movie should have been viewed by more people. It is a shame it did not.
Best use of an 80's song in the remake of Tears for Fears "Mad World"...right up there with Molly Ringwald and Gary Sinise listening to that (Crowded House?) song in "The Stand."
Ending. Haunted. Me. What is up with the lousy advertising for it, though? The trailers have spooked my wife from seeing it because she hates horror movies and this isn't a horror movie!! Yipe! I mean, I can't define what genre it would fit in, but horror isn't one of them. The director calls it a science fiction film. Is that where it is kept at the local rental store? Why can't more movies be like this!!
(sigh)
Phil

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Actually, most of the discussion took place in the "Movie" section of the HTF. Just kind of ended up that way.
And I love this movie. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Donnie Darko is one of the most wonderfully original and engaging films to come around in a LONG time. Haunting, intelligent, great script, creative direction, great performances, wonderful casting. It encourages me that movies like this, Being John Malkovich, Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tenenbaums, etc. can still get made at a time when Hollywood seems more than happy to keep churning out nothing but formulaic dreck. Thank God there are still filmmakers out there with vision. All is not lost. :emoji_thumbsup:

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Phil,
Quite a bit of discussion took place in the Movies forum; here is a link .
Great movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks