Donnie Darko: Zero Box-Office. Sweet-Looking DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks to DVDFile for this little nugget of good news:
    Finally, the little-seen Donnie Darko features a 2.35;1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, English 5.1 and 2.0 surround tracks and Spanish subtitles, an audio commentary with writer and director Richard Kelly and Jake Gyllenhaal, additional cast and crew commentary, the IFC "Anatomy of a Scene" featurette, deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes interviews, trailers, TV spots, and weblinks.
    Pretty impressive for a movie that most MOVIE CRITICS didn't see, let alone the general public. I happy list this one among last year's best films, and I'm very excited to see this DVD package. I hope you guys enjoy this one.
    Go Fox!

2. Vanessa

Vanessa Stunt Coordinator

Hey Scott -
    Nice to see someone else who actually saw this film! [​IMG] Here's looking forward to it's release!
    Vanessa

3. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

Just the other day I read a recommendation for this movie. Never heard of it before.

I'm probably gonna pick this one up. Would definitley not be the first small movie that got one of my favorites.

4. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Oh Happy Day!!!! Now that is gooooood news! [​IMG]
    Movie won't come to Denver? I'll make the DVD come to me!
    Looks like the estimated release date is April 2002.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

[rant]What, no DTS?[/rant]
    just kidding. [​IMG]
    I've been waiting for the announcement on this disc. April can't come soon enough, this was a really thought provoking and original movie!
    I rather enjoyed the IFC "anatomy of a scene" on the otherwise bare-bones Memento disc, so Donnie Darko's similar feature should be interesting.
    Joseph

6. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Yeah, I saw this film as well and loved it! It is one of the best films of 2001, and I can't wait for the excellent sounding DVD!

7. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

"Donnie Darko" is out on 3/12. I'm kind of surprised that Fox has the rights to this as Newmarket went with Sony for "Memento" as their first release, but given the type of quality Fox is known for, I ain't complaining.

This is one of the best films of the year and the best directoral debut since "Pi" in my book, both funny and chilling. I can't believe that it didn't even crack a million bucks, but I'm definitely buying it.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'll definitely be buying this - I was lucky enough to see it at a local cinema here in Dallas, it had a 'blink & you miss it' stay there.

I hope it does well on video/DVD - it deserves to find its audience. It's a great debut - not perfect but well done & well worth making an effort to see.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Great news - and a commentary track, to boot!

And this is a Fox DVD? Wow, good for them!

Then again, was Fox the theatrical distributor? If so, they did a horrible job as this film simply got buried (almost as shamefully as the even-better "George Washington" of last year).

10. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

What a great movie, I can't wait for the DVD!

Al, Newmarket (who formed to distribute MEMENTO) released DONNIE DARKO. Their relative newness is, I think, part of the reason DARKO attracted so little attention. That, and it's a marketing nightmare.

The funny thing, DARKO is STILL playing in Portland. Movies have some sort of crazy half-life here. Also still showing here are GHOST WORLD and HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH.

11. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

I'll resurrect this thread because the release is creeping up... I gotta say, I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to things like packaging and covers but what they have done to the poster art on this release is just terrible.
    Richard Kelly himself is furious with it, as evidenced in this interview @ dvdshrine.
    http://www.dvdshrine.com/interviews/darko.shtml

12. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Jehan - Thanks for that link. It's a great interview!

13. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I absolutly LOVED donnie darko!

14. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Rick Malloy:

15. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

wonderful movie! I love it! but... there are 2 "layer change" like pauses mid way through the film. I have tested 2 copies of this on 3 players, panasonic, pioneer and sony. all the same. 1 of them is the real layer change, the other? hmmmmm. does not spoil the movie though!

16. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

I actually found this a week early, and as it never recieved a theatrical release around here, I was eager to check it out. This was the first time in years that I picked up a film sight unseen, and I was not dissapointed, even if I didn't fully understand what I just saw. This film definitely requiers multiple viewings! As for the transfer, I found it quite pleasing as viewed on my 53" Pioneer SD53HD and Panny RP-91. After reading DVD File's scathing review of the transfer I was expecting the worst

17. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I remember quite a bit of grain on the film print when I saw it in the theater. It's definitely the type of film he used. As far as an overly dark transfer, that was also very apparent in the theatrical presentation, and many of the blacks were not solid black (just like the transfer).

By the way, I haven't seen this title in the Bay Area yet although it was supposed to come out yesterday. Anyone having similar trouble finding this one?

Joseph

18. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

1.) The film's theatrical distributor was Newmarket Capital, not Fox. Fox is only distributing the DVD, the same way Sony distributed Newmarket's Memento.

2.) The film's poor reception was unlikely connected to 9/11 (didn't Training Day gross $100m in the same relative time frame?) but because of Newmarket's very shallow release policy. There were no more than 60 prints of this in release at any given time.

3.) It doesn't street until next week, 3/19. It was originally scheduled for 3/12 and pushed back a couple of months ago.

Can't wait! If the DVD is half as good as "Joy Ride," I'll be overjoyed.

19. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

From what I understand, part of the release problem stemmed from the fact that it was seen as being too mainstream (with some of the cast members and the special effects) for arthouse theaters and too weird for the multiplex. It played here for a few weeks in January/February and seemed to do fairly well.

I haven't seen the DVD, but I remember that, generally speaking, the print was dark.

20. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Interesting movie. Just saw it tonight. The director was a tad on the lazy side by not conveying the 80's very well. If you're going to do a movie in the 80's, even the later half, you have to ditch todays hair styles. It's possible because he's so young that he probably doesn't have much memory of that time period.

Jeff