What's new

"Dolemite is my name......." (OAR) (1 Viewer)

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
.....And if you know the rest of this quote then you are fan, such as myself, that loves Dolemite. I found these movies years ago in high school and have loved blaxploitation movies ever since.

When I found out there was a Dolemite box set, I had to have it. While all the greats were there (Dolemite, The Human Tornado, Disco Godfather and Petey Wheatstraw, the Devil's Son-In-Law) but to my dismay they were not OAR and the picture sucked hard.

Now I know this is not a huge deal to many (being the types of movies that they are) but come on, how about a little respect for such a cult classic.

Would anyone else like to see these flicks get a little TLC (hell, I just settle for some "C") or should I just shut up and give up?

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I would love to see these as well... and uncut to boot. ON any version I have seen.. you can see where they have cut whole chunks out.. usually violence.. especially the final confontration with Willie Green. An audio commentary with Rudy Ray would be choice..

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
Yeah, you can tell at some points. You watch and it's like "damn, that was a weird cut, something must have been taken out." A commentary by Rudy Raw would be cool. But I hope it would be better than a special feature (at least I think it was a special feature) where Rudy Ray gave a tour of the locations they shot the movie at. He often sounds like he's not quite sure where he's at or what he's doing.

But hey, good to see another Dolemite fan out there.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
If you think the Dolemite DVD is bad, wait until you see The Human Tornado, which is a travesty. I have an old dupe of an original late-'80's Xenon tape that has an entire subplot involving a gay man who gives Dolemite and his crew "a ride-- for a ride!" from the "deep South" (actually Baldwin Hills, CA) to Los Angeles. Without his character, we never know how the hell Dolemite gets from one place to another. A bizarre, hilarious cutaway during Dolemite's wild sexual encounter is removed as well-- Dolemite is, uh, downstairs giving her some oral pleasure when suddenly we cut to a shot of him eating a sandwich! You think that it's a horrible transition, when it cuts right back to her reaction to Dolemite's work down below.

One of the funniest things I've EVER seen in a movie.

Too bad Xenon is such a cheap-jack outfit.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
I like the Human Tornado even better than Dolemite. The craptastic level goes way up, I love it.

That's a great part! At first I thought "Why the hell is he eating a sandwi....oh...:D ."

Xenon is a very crappy company (they put out the boxset I got about a year or so ago), I wish they'd sell the Dolemite series off and give it to someone that would do it justice. That's it! Hey, WB, get the Dolemite licence and give me two disc SPs of all of RRRs movies....ugh...I command you......yeah.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I would snap up the Criterion Dolemite collection, were it only possible.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've never seen these. I guess I well continue to not see these until a decent copy comes around.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais

I could see how someone would say that but even though I would like a decent version of these movies, there is something about watching a very crappy version that's pretty fun, being that the movies themselves weren't too high on the "We're taking this seriously" scale.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh:

Which will come first: the Criterion Dolemite Collection, an OAR version of The Sting, or pigs flying out of my a**?!?! :D

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais

That's a good point. The picture on the current DVDs look like they were just transferred off of the VHS copies. It sucks to have something that could be better. I'd love it if MGM/UA would get a hold of Dolemite and put is on their Soul Cinema series, where the movies get the proper treatment.

Kent Nelson

Agent
I have these as well, and the Human Tornado is almost unwatchable. The trailers for these look better that the films themselves.

The original rental VHS tapes from way back when had some of the cut footage intact, but when they were redone for the box sets and had new cover art they lost a lot.

I don't see anything changing, though unless someone famous starts quoting Dolemite in some lame big budget movie or comedy special.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Then in order to expedite... let me start here...

"You've got exactly 24 hours to get out of my club... and 23 of em are already gone"
"Way down in the jungle deep..."
"$!@%!... why did you bring me these cotton draws?"
"I'm Joe Blow...the luva man.. you should be paying me"

Kent Nelson

Agent
Ok, here are some personal favorites:

"Guard, you can take these cheap mother ****ers and wipe your a** with 'em!"

Creeper: "I'm so bad I kick my own a** twice a day"

Intro song: "Now some folks say that Wille Green is the baddest mother ****er the world has ever seen..."

And who could forget the lyrics he lays down during the trailer: "I'm the one who whupped Monday, killed Tuesday, put Wednesday in the hospital, called up Thursday and told Friday not to bury Saturday on Sunday!"

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
"You rat soup eatin' motherfucker!"

I've been spooked from buying the Xenon releases. At least give us something close to WHV's Superfly.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
"Get out of the way and let me pass, lest I put these Hush Puppies up yo' mothaf***in' ass!'

"He made me do it!"
"BIIIITCH! Are you for re-al?"

Kent Nelson

Agent
I don't know when he recorded the trailer voice overs, but they never cease to make me laugh out loud. They are included on both the Dolemite and the HT DVD - but I remember discovering them many years ago on a compilation VHS trailer tape called "the Best of Sex and Violence", which I would pay top dollar for now if I could find it.

More trailer quotes:

"If you crave satisfaction, this is the place to find that action, coming to this theater as it's next attraction, is the picture that will put you in traction!"

"I'm mean as snakes and twice as bad, but for the price of admission I can be had"

"I can stick my finger in the ground and turn the whole world around"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks