What's new

Dolby Digital and DTS mandatory for HD-DVD and blu-ray (1 Viewer)

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen this post on the forum here. But here you go..

http://www.dtsonline.com/company/pre...cID=1&yID=2004

http://www.dolby.com/about/news_even..._23.09.04.html

Summary:

Dolby Digital Plus(*) and MLP Lossless are mandatory for HD-DVD.

Dolby Digital and DTS are mandatory for Blu-ray.

Optionally DTS++(**) (DTS extensions) for both formats.

*Dolby Digital Plus is backwards compatible with Dolby Digital and offers more channel and higher bit-rates.

**DTS++ is the collection of all DTS extensions, such as higer data rates ( Rates greater than 1.5Mbps), higher sampling rates (like DTS 96/24), more channels (up to 7.1) , lossless capabitily and maybe others.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
Do any current receivers support these formats? Just wondering if I should put off a receiver upgrade until then.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I wouldn't put off a receiver purchase if you need one now, because it will still be awhile before the formats are on the market. I would suggest, however, that the receiver you purchase has multi-channel inputs(preferrably 8 channel), since I imagine the players will have built-in decoders.

DJ

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
However, Blu-Ray can do uncompressed 6 channels-24/192 LPCM or 8 channels-24/96 LPCM. They allocated 27+ Megabits/sec just for audio.

I'm not at all convinced about DTS++ Lossless until I hear how it works. For instance, if you have more than 6 channels then do you wind up with matrixed duplicate channels on the "backwards compatible" core portion of the data that must be de-matrixed. That would be unacceptable to me.

Why Blu-Ray doesn't add MLP Lossless into the mix is beyond me. It's a proven performer with licensing channels in place that can do upwards of 16 channels or more with bit-for-bit precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks