What's new

Dolby Atmos Demo (1 Viewer)

Boss Hogg

Grip
Real Name
John
I have several hundred 4K discs and I know on one of them at least that had a Dolby Atmos Demo on it. It was the demo that has several leaves ( for lack of a better word) that come from all directions to form a shape. I have tried the one on you tube but it is not atmos.
If anyone knows of a disc that has this demo in the beginning I would greatly appreciate it. I certainly don't want to watch all of mine until I find it.
Thanks in advance for your help. Great Forum by the way!
JOHN

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You Tube doesn't support Atmos, only 2 channel stereo. You can either find the demo online and download to a USB stick for use in your UHD player [if supported] or check your library for titles that contain native demos. The ones I know of that do are below. It's unfortunate that Dolby Labs still hasn't made their integrators disc available to consumers.
  • Sicario
  • Expendables 3

Boss Hogg

Grip
Real Name
John
Thanks for your help guys. I went to the link that John Rice suggested and found exactly what I needed.
I downloaded the one I wanted to a thumb drive and it worked perfectly.
Thanks again,
JOHN

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I read in a review on Sound and Vision which said Dolby released an Atmos Demo disc in 2015. Does anyone know about this one?

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I was given a copy by an industry insider, although it is intended "for promotional use only". It features five of the theatrical trailers, excerpts from seven movies & TV shows, some audio only sound effects, six musical excerpts, some other stuff, and test tones for the various possible configurations (such as 5.1.2, 7.1.2, 9.1.6, etc.)

Not surprisingly, the trailers are the most impressive things on the disc, since they were created solely to show off the Atmos capabilities.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I was given a copy by an industry insider, although it is intended "for promotional use only". It features five of the theatrical trailers, excerpts from seven movies & TV shows, some audio only sound effects, six musical excerpts, some other stuff, and test tones for the various possible configurations (such as 5.1.2, 7.1.2, 9.1.6, etc.)

Not surprisingly, the trailers are the most impressive things on the disc, since they were created solely to show off the Atmos capabilities.
Is that the demo disc I was referring to?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There's also finding a Dolby Atmos Demo Disc on eBay or from friend / connection.

I've heard of people being burned on eBay trying to buy these so I would probably avoid that route.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've heard of people being burned on eBay trying to buy these so I would probably avoid that route.
Fair enough.

I had a contact and got the last two HD Atmos discs and a couple DTS discs. And AFAIK all the logo stingers (THX, Atmos, DTS-HD, etc) from the enthusiast sites.

There’s also a bunch of enthusiast demo “discs” from the past decade available by way of AVS forum. I’ve got a load of those too.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Fair enough.

I had a contact and got the last two HD Atmos discs and a couple DTS discs. And AFAIK all the logo stingers (THX, Atmos, DTS-HD, etc) from the enthusiast sites.

There’s also a bunch of enthusiast demo “discs” from the past decade available by way of AVS forum. I’ve got a load of those too.
Don't get me wrong, I want one of these discs in the worst way and would gladly pay a fair price. I've just had bad luck with eBay standing behind me when a disc wasn't as described, even when it was sold as new yet failed to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks