What's new

Does UPN have a clue?....(re:Enterprise) (1 Viewer)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
You know, I sorta liked that the biggest ground battle we saw on DS9 was 5 or 6 Cardassians going up against 5 or 6 Jem'Hadar. It really adds to the realism of it. :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nemesis actually looks pretty good to me. What is that people are not liking?
Reviews have been mixed, mostly centering around the poor attemts at humor. It doesn't look like the "great" next-gen movie that everyone is looking for. It still sounds better than Insurrection...

Jason

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Then that rumored show, which sounds like a hell of a lot better premise than Enterprise, will itself be doomed. Keep B&B on the sinking ship that's Enterprise and let the "new blood" write that exciting idea of a new show.

Otherwise, if stuck with Enterprise under its present management, we're not just seeing the end of a series but of a franchise.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
...says the UPN rep. What sides? Their ass, this time? :b Finding new excuses to get into the decontamination chamber will be a fun endeavor for future writers on the show. Ugh.

Phil

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
So, does ANYBODY know of any way to get the message out to the higher up's about what's going on?

Are the militant trekkies already at the ramparts?

Like I say, there's GOT to be a more pro-active solution than bemoaning the show's imminent demise on this website.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, lots of shows, including good shows, are like that. In fact, that's probably the majority of them- making stuff up as they go along.
Enterprise has to have an arch though. The writers don't really have much choice in that (though they seem to) since we know how it has to end, and the timeframe in which it is in, and all the shows that follow it in the timeline, it has constrictions in how it has to play within the future timelines.

That's the problem.. by winging it, they continue to muck up the other shows.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Then that rumored show, which sounds like a hell of a lot better premise than Enterprise, will itself be doomed. Keep B&B on the sinking ship that's Enterprise and let the "new blood" write that exciting idea of a new show.
Hopefully, Frakes will have enough pull to fix the problem areas in the new series before it even gets the green light. He's a decent director for the series and I doubt he'd want to be recognized as one of the contributing factors in the entire series' demise.

What about Star Trek conventions? Protests can be organized during the cast interviews. Nothing too disruptive, just a bunch of protest signs such as:

SAVE ENTERPRISE! FIRE B&B! LESS SEXUAL INNUENDO! MORE STORY DEVELOPMENT!

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
SO it sounds like Enterprise could get good if B7B f off to another show. Of course it'll be a death sentance for Frakes.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I think the reason the shows are generally bad is because B&B know they have a guaranteed seven year run. They are not interested in sharing the profits with other writers, so they eek out a few good shows, but load up the rest of the season with filler. This will stand the test of time, if true. But if that is the case, it's pretty sad right now, with about 3 out of 20 episodes being at least watchable? They probably have some good ideas, but are probably saying, let's keep that one for season 4, since we know we will get there and if they get any pressure, they'll use it earlier.

This show is not in-line with other new shows where they know they must produce the goods or get cancelled.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I think the reason the shows are generally bad is because B&B know they have a guaranteed seven year run. They are not interested in sharing the profits with other writers, so they eek out a few good shows, but load up the rest of the season with filler

They probably have some good ideas, but are probably saying, let's keep that one for season 4, since we know we will get there and if they get any pressure, they'll use it earlier.
That sounds like an interesting theory.. It'd be a shame if that were indeed the case. If this last outing was any indication, then the future is bleak, indeed. Hopefully, if your theory is correct, B&B will notice things aren't going that well and crank out the "good" episodes they've been holding in reserve, and keep the show from being cancelled.

Better scenerio yet, things come to the brink of disaster, forcing the execs to fire B&B (and not just sex it up, thinking their main audience are all sex-starved introverts), and get new, innovative and proven Trek writers on the case.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How about asking the fans what the problem is!
Well, I don't think I'd want the average Trek fan having much input over the making of the show. Part of DS9's undoing was that its writer/producers were big-time Trek fans, and happily indulged any whim they might have had. It was fun for those of us who were already fans, but not the most accessible show.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, if your theory is correct, B&B will notice things aren't going that well and crank out the "good" episodes they've been holding in reserve, and keep the show from being cancelled.
Problem is, no Trek show will be in danger of being cancelled barring complete disaster. Paramount may remember the 10.0 ratings in syndication for TNG, but UPN considers a consistent 4 rating a success, and are more worried about alienating the conservative Star Trek fan by shaking things up than potentially bringing lapsed Trekkies back into the fold.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I agree. Writing is the only thing keeping this show on the rocks.

Hopefully that UPN president was talking out of her ass, and there are no plans to sex up the show more than they've done so already. I think that would be a step backwards. Fun, maybe, but not the answer!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Said the board's biggest DS9 fan. A general concern of mine about the series as well, but I was obliviously engrossed at the time.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
To be honest, I really thought the Dominion War would end earlier than it did, and DS9 would get back to doing stories about Bajor in the aftermath - how it had become more of a major power, or gained Federation membership. Not that I disliked that story, but it pushed other potentially interesting stories out of the way. It's part of the reason I'm less insistent on a continuing storyline than most sf fans I know.

(That and a dent in my wall from where I've thrown books because I put a week or two into reading them only to find out that the $7 I paid for my paperback [or $25 for a hardcover] doesn't include an ending)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jason, you'd havea hole in your wall if you were a Chtorr fan :)
8 #@#$#@$!#$ years on a cliffhanger

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
A series of books actually. He's been doing them for 20 years, he has 4 books (of 7) and the last one was in 1994
Fortunately he's contractually obligated to finish book 5 by February 1st :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Jason, you'd havea hole in your wall if you were a Chtorr fan :)
8 #@#$#@$!#$ years on a cliffhanger
Fortunately, I saw them all on the shelf next to each other and opted for The Man Who Folded Himself instead. :) I'm terrified of the Uplift books, because despite liking David Brin, and never hearing a bad thing about them, I fear buying one, not liking it much but feeling obligated to finish the trilogy.
But those guys are at least up front about being a series - heck, even the guy I know who bought into "The Wheel Of Time" (and now recognizes it as less of a fantasy series and more of a scam) had some idea what he was getting into. But Metaplanetary by Tony Daniel...
100 pages left: "Hey, they're still introducing new things."
50 pages left: "This is gonna have to end like Footfall, where the tension is cranked right to the last page!"
25 pages left: "This is going to be a sloppy ending."
12 pages left: "Okay... It looks like I've got a rare, collectible printing error that left out the last 150 pages."
5 pages left: Searches frantically for any indication that this is the first book of a trilogy anywhere on the dust jacket, title page, dedication, Library of Congress annotations...
0 pages left: Ka-thunk.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
You know, I used to watch Voyager because it's was so bad, it was funny. Enterprise is just going down the drain, and in a painful manner...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks