Does UPN have a clue?....(re:Enterprise)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Dec 3, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

In a interview a executive from UPN said the following about Enterprises ratings woes...

"UPN entertainment president Dawn Ostroff wants to stop the downward spiral. "We've been working on the show. It's getting sexier. We're exploring relationships more and pushing the dramatic elements of the show. You'll see a lot more sides to the characters."

The interview talks about how viewership is done 42% since it's first season. So instead of talking about ways of fixing the writing, they want to sex up the show more. I am sure Gene Roddenberry would be thrilled. I still enjoy the show. But, this makes me nervous.

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I've been a huge ST fan my whole life, but I can't seem to muster the energy to set up the VCR properly to catch this show.

It's too bad. The setup for the show was pretty good. They can do a lot of neat things with a ship made from such "young" technology. CGI is cheap enough these days that their imaginations should be limiting factor. Unfortunately, their imaginations *are* the limiting factor...

Martin.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, "pushing the dramatic elements of the show" could be good. But, there's a certain logic to a network executive's thought patterns. The way to improve a show's ratings is to make it appeal to more viewers, which often means simplifying versus adding things that could drive viewers away, or make new viewers feel like they are missing something.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Translation: "We're doing more anomoly of the week episodes like on Voyager, except instead of going insane everyone will be horny"

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And here we are, HTF's most zealous Star Trek apologists, and this is our version of enthusiasm at maximum warp. Yep, I'm really encouraged by this announcement. (Personal trivia: I've stopped bothering with catching the Wednesday-evening Los Angeles run and just wait until Sunday evening's repeat. I watch it as I'm folding the laundry. I'm not kidding.)

6. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

I watch it if I'm at the gf's and she has it on. Berman & Braga have effectively killed my interest in Star Trek. I can barely muster the slightest enthusiasm for "Nemesis". [​IMG]

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Today I watched the season 6 episode where Barclay suffers a transporter accident. It's just funny seeing it after last Wednesday's episode about Hoshi's transporter accident.

Funny as in "pathetically sad."

8. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    Jeeessus! [​IMG]
    How about asking the fans what the problem is! What a bunch of *%#@ morons!!
    How do we get our 2 cents in!?
    Oh yeah, the re-runs are really helping, too..
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Michael St. Clair

I quit watching long ago.

Maybe if B&B really go to the heavily rumored 'other show' after this season I'll give it a chance.

In the meantime, I'm far too busy watching movies, GOOD tv shows, and playing videogames.

10. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

That just goes to show the typical thinking in Hollywood and the media in general these days. When in doubt, add more sex/violence/shock-value. When are they going to learn that these things are no substitute for a good story and interesting characters.

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

What's sad is that the ep in season six of TNG was better written and played then Hoshi's incident... which doesn't in any way fit with the timeline in track.

Since we know that "transporter psychosis" really occurred during this timeframe, and some accidents and problems did occur, why not do something with that? Why have it cornball? Hell, I'd take TOS's "We kill a redshirt weekly" over this most of the time.

The problem with enterprise is that they have drifted away from good storyplay and interesting sci fi.

Flat out, the only "Good" trek since the middle of TNG has been DS9, and god bless the crew there. The only thing that UPN could do to really restore faith in Enterprise is go beg, borrow, plead and bring back some of the lost DS9 writers who knew how to write convincing storylines and good sci fi at the same time and recapture some of the magic that was trek.

Even in "unusual" episodes, DS9 managed to find a certain posture that made it good to watch. Enterprise seems to be far to "clean" (I don't mean in the "dirty" way, but as far as story conclusions) whereas DS9 had several episodes that left you feeling as though "hmm. Down the road this might not be such a good idea" and they played with it.

I liked the idea of a TNG world as a world where people struggle with their obligations and struggle with handling situations - and where bad mistakes sometimes have high costs - something TOS, TNG, and DS9 did. But Voyager and Enterprise seem to just muck around without ever having any real link between episodes and no real building of a theme for the show. If you look at DS9, by the second season, we had a good grasp of key characters; of a political system on Bajor; and we had even had early hints of "The Dominion" with notes dropped on how star systems across the worm hole were under control of others, or a holographic planet that all but one inhabitant was dead on.

There is no such foreshadowing or seeming forethought on Enterprise. They seem to have no story arch, no idea of where the thing is going, even though they are mucking aroudn with the roots of trek history (and screwing it up as they go along).

And it's that situation - the idea that the show is without real direction - that hurts it most. I don't think a single writer on the show knows where any of the plotlines will or should end.

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

13. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

They won't ask the fans for how to "fix" Enterprise. That's cause more of the shows demise in their eyes. They want more non-fans watching the show.

The Hoshi transporter episode was my last one until the DVD season sets start up. There's just too much to watch otherwise.

14. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Ok...what is the "Heavily Rumored 'other show' "that we're talking 'bout here?
    Very Curious now!
    And...is Nemisis really getting bad press? I don't read a lot of stuff other than what's posted here so I don't know. I will tell you this however...I'm really psyched about seeing it[​IMG]!

15. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

Nemesis, unfortunately, looks terrible.

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

17. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

Well, I gave up on V'Ger, and I'll now give up on ENTERPRISE...

I actually watched about 5 minutes of last weeks ep before deleting it from the TiVo... and Hoshi is my favorite character on the show! I actually think that each of the main characters has potential, and the show has HUGE amounts of potential...

They should kick B&B off the show, get some new staff and shut them away until they watch ALL of the TOS, then start blocking out what will happen for the next 2 seasons...

EXPLORE the formation of the Federation!

Hell, it's too late. It sucks...

18. Michael St. Clair

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I've read the Nemesis shooting script, and read the reviews (so I know it was real)

When Nemesis is good, it kicks ass. When it's not. you're looking between 2 fingers and goaning. There are some annoying major ST cliches here

The 700 millionth MindRape on Troi for example

For Trek 10, they should have said "Let's look at the last episode of DS9, and multiply the budget by 10!" Star Wars sized space battle overhead, while on the ground we can have Klingon, Romulan, Dominion(or whoever), Federation and Cardassian Forces clashing on the surface. Giant brutal hand to hand combat phasers flashing, asses kicking!

That would have rocked.