What's new

Does the Nightmare on Elm Street Collection contain all of the theatrical versions? (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
on #3 the "original" audio option is mono- I never saw this in theaters, but the original VHS release was in stereo. Was this actually only distributed in mono in theatres and got a stereo remix for the video release??
Hopefully I can answer both questions. In two scenes music had to be changed for rights issues on the initial home video release. The first scene is at the beginning, when tina is listening to the radio and building her model. The second is after Freddy rips through the padded walls, everyone gets "lost" in feathers, and Tina finds herself back in her room at home.

Since Media Home Video had to replace some music, they went ahead and remixed the film in stereo, though it's pretty much limited to the music in the film. The later Elite laserdisc also used the Media Home Video mix.

The DVD is the first time the film's original soundtrack has been made available on home video, and the 5.1 remix is based on that soundtrack (i.e. no re-scored music).

-Lyle J.P.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Fangoria stated in one of their 1987 issues that Elm Street 3 had to be toned down to get an R rating...

Elm Street 1 and 5 are also cut as others have stated... There have been rumors that Elm Street 4 and FD were also cut to acheive an R...

Certain Elm Streets workprints are like entirely different movies...

Freddy's Dead for example... The workprint is better... I saw the workprint of this a couple years ago (The quality was of course in pretty bad shape)... The movie plays differently... It has a more serious tone in general... The tv scenes you mention were in this version... There were other scenes as well... There is more character development, the soundtrack was different and used the traditional Elm Street music, etc... Some of the dumb corny moments are missing... The really crappy looney tunes sound effects were missing... This version IMO was much better for what the movie was...

Nightmare on Elm Street 4 is a very different movie on it's workprint as well... I have not seen this, but have read about it... It's supposedly even way more ridiculous with highly campy moments... There is one scene on the beach where Freddy's shadow attacks Kristen and wherever it touches her, it gives her big sunburn... A very small part of this scene is shown in the trailer... It is right where he flicks his hand while he has the sunglasses on... That scene is not in the movie...

There is second old trailer (It's in the internet, not on the DVD) that shows us a scene not on the movie... It is Kristen in the Elm Street house... She says "I knew you would be back." This is not in the movie... Supposedly, this scene involved Kristen being stuck in some form of maze inside the house where giant Freddy nails came out of the wall and attack her... She gets out of the maze and standing right there is Freddy... She then sprouts that line...

There are other scenes as well... Freddy busts through a wall in an Alice dream... They show a dead Alices father in a dream, etc....

It is said that the movie was so highly ridiculous... Even campier than the version we have now that many of the moments were trimmed or changed... It wasnt allowed to be released by Bob Shaye...

Personally, I would love to see it just to see how far they really did take this movie...

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a dvd release of the first Nightmare on Elm Street available with Tina's death totally uncut? I see there is a Japanese dvd coming out at the end of March, I wonder if this will be uncut.

Esten

Supporting Actor
The theatrical cut(of Freddy's Dead) runs 96 minutes, and so does the version on the boxed set.
The theatrical cut does indeed run 96 minutes, but all home video released versions have cut 7 minutes out. Check the DVD and original tape... both are 89 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks