Does the Nightmare on Elm Street Collection contain all of the theatrical versions?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean Frost, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Sean Frost

Sean Frost Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking about buying the NOES collection but I found this in a previous thread:

"On Freddy's Dead.... it was cut by about 7 minutes after its initial theatrical release.Check the actual film runtime,then look at the running time on the box;not the same.
    Most of the stuff that was cut was character development that the film didn't need to lose to begin with.Most of it shows up in the tv cut.
    Off the top of my head:

Maggie celebrating her 28th birthday at the beginning and her mom bringing her a cake.Takes up 3 minutes or so.

Maggie travelling through one of Freddy's memories and Freddy saying "GET OUT OF MY HEEEEEEAAAAAAADDDDD!",which lasted for about 20 seconds.Behind the scenes footage of this scene shows up in the making-of.

Maggie and Tracy making up an MO in the van for what happened to Spoiler:
    John,Spencer and Carlos
    .Lasts about a minute.

Another scene with Doc training Tracy.

When Maggie puts the glasses on she looks at the camera and says "NOW!" signaling the audience to put on the 3-D glasses.

There is a cool scene with a lightbulb that is only in the TV cut.

I know i'm forgetting something.Hrm.

I probably just gave alot of info nobody wanted to know.Heh. "

It was posted by Esten

"The region 1 DVD features a slight trim to the scene where Tina is killed in her bedroom. When Kruger drops her from the ceiling, we do not see the slow motion splash of blood that spurts off the matress as her body hits it. This cut is referred to the in DVD audio commentary. The scene is totally uncut in the United Kingdom video versions."

So all of that above stuff was in the theatrical but they cut it for dvd? Why would they cut out those scenes? Can anyone confirm that those were auctually in the theatrical version? Now that I found out these dvds are cut I'm not so sure I want to buy the set.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Sounds like it may have been fluff added to pad the TV cut, rather than scenes cut from the original theatrical version.

3. David Fisher

David Fisher Stunt Coordinator

The theatrical cut runs 96 minutes, and so does the version on the boxed set. The extra footage does indeed come from a TV cut that isn't available anywhere. The DVD does allow you to watch with either the 3D ON or OFF, and I'm pretty sure that the audience isn't told to put on the glasses "NOW" in the non-3D cut. I wasn't aware of a DVD version featuring an audio commentary, though.

4. JasonJason

JasonJason Stunt Coordinator

I believe the commentary he is referring to is for the first Nightmare on Elm Street. That's the one with the Tina dropped on the bed scene. There is also a commentary for Wes Craven's New Nightmare in the set. I'm pretty sure as well that those scenes were added for the tv and not cut from the theatrical version. But, I'm not positive. I've got the set, and it seems to be the films as I remember them. The extra disc with the set is great as well.

5. Sean Frost

That's good news. I'm glad those scenes are only for the TV cut although it would be great to have them on the DVD as well. Since they are all the theatrical versions I'll pick up this boxset sometime this week.

6. JasonJason

JasonJason Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend the set, personally. Those movies are always a fun watch (even if they did get progressively more silly). Of course, keep in mind, that I myself am not positive about that being just tv footage, it just appears that way to me. I'm sure you'll enjoy it though.

7. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

The UK DVD version of A Nightmare on Elm Street uses the same cut as the US version (same features, same excellent transfer, - but as it's censored, I'm not touching it.).

8. Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb Stunt Coordinator

The first Elm St was indeed cut for an MPAA R rating, this footage, mere seconds was included in the UK theatrical print & the first UK video release via Fox (which I still own)It consists of Tina screaming and struggling on the ceiling a little more & the blood splash as she hits the bed.
    Sadly the UK dvd release is the same cut US version New Line supplied Entertainment in Video.

Part 5 was also MPAA pruned & was again available on UK video uncut, this too has been replaced by the MPAA cut version [​IMG]

Of the others I heard part 4 The Dream Master was toned down during the editing process to gain an R rating.

9. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

The special edition Elite laserdisc release of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET contained the footage cut to get an R-rating as a supplemental "clip reel"- it was basically a reel of film with all the cut footage playing together sans sound. As I recall, there are three bits of footage here- Tina hitting the bed and the blood splattering, a more lingering shot of Tina lying dead on the floor, and several extra seconds of the blood shooting out of Johnny Depp's bed.

The uncut version of ELM STREET 5 was released on laserdisc and VHS in the U.S., but for the DVD released they unfortunately used the edited R-rated print.

Vincent

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I worked in a theatre when "Freddy's Dead" was out and am pretty sure they never said "Now!" before the 3-D part- I know I would have remembered something like that. I was mad that the VHS tape was only 2-D, and the laserdisc had the 3-D segment but seperately at the end of the disc. The DVD uses angles to show either the 3-D or 2-D version.

11. David Fisher

No, she doesn't say "NOW", my mistake. I guess I was a little too verbose. She just puts the glasses on and they disappear on her face. Then the 3D sequence begins. (Honestly, Alice Cooper in full 3D could be one of the most sinister movie moments in history.) I'm not a huge fan of this movie, but I do like the 3D sequence and the "Best of Freddy" montage during the credits.

If you're a fan of the series, then the boxed set is definitely worth buying. Some of the sequels are pretty good. Part 3, Dream Warriors, has always been my second favorite of the whole run. I watched #4, Dream Child, the other day and it was a lot better than I remembered. I have never liked #2 at all. New Nightmare is a clever idea, and I would enjoy the movie if it weren't for Freddy's horrible makeup.

12. Sean Frost

I found 2 other things that were supposedly changed. This is from Imdb.com

From NOES 2: Both for the original VHS version and Video Treasures version have song titled "Touch Me," by Cathy Dennis playing during the first part of the end credits, then goes to the "Main Title," from the beginning of the movie. The Digitally Remastered version on both VHS and DVD has a 1960's song playing in the background during the end credits. (so was this 60's song in the theatrical version?)

From NOES 4: In the original theatrical release, when Freddy puts on sunglasses in the beach scene, the sound track contained a short Miami Vice-like riff. This has been removed in subsequent releases.

Does anyone know if these 2 things are changed for the DVDs? It's not really a big deal since I know they could be changed or removed due to legal issues but I'm just wondering.

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Cathy Dennis' "Touch Me" was not released until 1990. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Samantha Fox? Her song called "Touch Me" was closer to that mid-80's timeframe.

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

It's the same song by a different performer (Cathy Dennis did it later). It's in another scene in the 2nd movie. Disco Forever! [​IMG]

15. David Fisher

The song played during the credits of part two is Eddy Duchin's Did You Ever See A Dream Walkin.

And Touch Me is performed by WISH and appears in the movie. I honestly have no idea if this was ever run during the credits in the VHS version or not.

I just threw in #4 and watched the shark scene. When Freddy puts on his sunglasses, there is no additional audio cue (like a Miami Vice type riff).

16. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

There's a different song during the beginning of part 3 on the vhs release I had. The dvd restores the original dokken song from the theatrical release.

17. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

OK, let ME ask a question for once- on #3 the "original" audio option is mono- I never saw this in theaters, but the original VHS release was in stereo. Was this actually only distributed in mono in theatres and got a stereo remix for the video release?? (There's no sound info during the end credits, and never saw any in the original ads for it either.)

18. Sean Frost

So I guess the only thing changed for the DVDs is that Miami Vice-like riff. It's no big deal but I wonder why it was removed.

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

20. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I was wondering in New Line had any plans to re-release this set with new se's of any or all of the films? If not I may have to pick this up soon.