What's new

Does anyone here still use "vintage" computers? (1 Viewer)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
"Vintage" meaning pre-Windows/MS-DOS machines, like the Apple II series, TRS-80s, Commodores, etc.

I was just curious since I dug out an old TRS-80 Model III while cleaning out my tool shed, and decided to resurrect it instead of tossing it out. I plugged it in and it still boots up TRSDOS from floppy, but the keyboard is shot. My quest for a keyboard led to me bidding on a Model 4 on Ebay, so I'm going to wind up with another vintage machine, and either that one or my III will end up being a parts machine.

I'd like to get one of these machines "fully functional", and then collect old software, games, etc. Should bring back memories of the good old days.

So who else here still has old computers that they pull out and play with once in a while?

KJP

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
My first venture into the PC world was made on a TRS-80 PC II. I bought it about 8 years ago for 8 dollars at a yard sale. I don't have it anymore, as I could not find any software for it.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I have an Atari 800 and a couple of Atari 800XLs. I dug out an 800XL a while back and played a few cartridge and disk games like Star Raiders, Pac Man, Galaxian, Frogger, and Jaw Breaker (Pac Man with a candy/dentist theme ?).

Unfortunately, one of the two floppy disk drives doesn't work reliably any more.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I still consider my old home-built machine that ran DOS 3.3 to be pretty damn vintage.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I've got a Apple IIc that I still use to play Wings of Fury (it has a composite video out, so you can play it on TV). My dad has a ton of old IBM MicroChannel stuff, and an old RS6000.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I have an Aplle II/c. I think that had some of the best damn games ever on it! I don't use if often at all, but every now and then I dig it out and get a little Moon Patrol action going.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have a TRS-80 II that has a Star Wars game on cassette tape. Don't really use it anymore.

I do have a Mac 512, and Plus which I can play Wizardry, Arkanoid, Tetris, Dark Castle, Uninvited, Lost In Los Vegas, and Fools Errand.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got an Atari ST gathering dust, that I pulled from my parents attic last Christmas. I still need to see if it works.

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I've still got 3 BBC comps (two B's and a Master). I've evne got a 20mb hard drive :D All work, and I occasionally pull one out and fire it up. Amazing machines, and not a hint of microsoft in sight :) Ah, those were the days...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i have an apple IIgs in my attic. still works well, if only the 3.5" and 5.25" disks still worked. no hard drive, everything ran off of disks. i remember spending hours on that computer playing zany golf. probably my favorite video game ever. if i could find a copy of that, i'd be as happy as the big cheeseburger that bounces up and down over the 2nd hole.

CJ

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
The closest thing I have to vintage is a Macintosh TV. I rarely turn it on, but it's in a rather prominent location in my apartment.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Most machines mentioned here really do not qualify the "pre-Windows/MS-DOS" requirement of the original poster. Any Amigas are automatically out (I have a 1000, which was the first Amiga, still in great condition, but definitely post MS-DOS, post gen-1 Mac)), as are any type of Macs, all these are post MS-DOS, I think same is true for the Atari ST series, as well as the Apple GS.

Pre MS-DOS machines: IMSAI, Commodore 64, 128. Original Apple and Atari, early Cromemco, TRS 80, and things such as Pertec, Itty Bitty Machine, Kentucky Fried Computers, and Heath Kit (Gordon Letwin, head of Heath Kit computers, was later hired by Bill Gates to be in charge of developing new technology, and was the architect of NT, as in New Technology).

Adam MAY also qualify as pre MS-DOS.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I found an old TRS-80 pocket computer with the printer at a pawn shop a few years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have the means to save the programs on cassette tapes so any program you wrote on it would eventually get wiped out.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I still have a Commodore 64 and IndusGT disk drive (and Avatex 1200baud Hayes-compatible modem) in my parent's attic (I bought it with summer wages in high school). I dusted it off a few years ago ('96, maybe?), and played a little bit of "A Bard's Tale" on it.

Perhaps I will dig it out again, when I'm home in September for my little brother's wedding.

I wrote a lot of machine code for the 6502. A LOT!

Todd

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I actually just sold my modified Commodore 128 a year ago. I had a second SID chip piggybacked onto the original for six voice stereo output. I even made a few stereo games for it.
Now when I'm in the mood, I just use and emulator and load the disc image.
For fellow Commodore 64 buffs: www.c64.com
Why, oh, why, did Jack Tramiel find the need to run Commodore into the ground? **sigh**

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
OK, now for the bonus point, does anyvody still have a paper tape reader (the kind that you pull the paper tape through by hand) laying around ??:D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think I saw this on the Moulin Rouge extras: Fatboy Slim still perfers using old computers and samplers.
...his most important tools are his trusty old S950 sampler and the Atari 1040ST computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks