What's new

Does anyone here do volunteer work? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I currently work for Sac county animal shelter doing rabbit rescue. We get the bunnies out of the shelter and get them adopted out through a program with PetSmart. From 7/03 to 06/04 the county put down 115 rabbits. From 07/04 (when the program started) to present we've only lost 6! I work adoption days and sometimes foster.

Just wondering if you guys do anything like this or other volunteer work.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I often /think/ about volunteering at the local Humane Society, but this would probably not be a good idea. It breaks my heart and I want to take all the cute little fuzzballs home. I do regularly give them money, though, and named them secondary beneficiary in my life insurance (should my partner predecease me).

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Me, unfortunately no. My wife, however, volunteers at the "cat care society" helping to run their thrift store. I only ask that she stays in the thrift store, and not wander into the kitty area. Otherwise, Im sure we would have more little fuzzy family memebers instantly. :)

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
i volunteer at public and private schools. bingo nights, working at special education centers. this is not like 10 hours a week or anything. i just do what i can when i can. i'm in zeta phi beta sorority, eastern star and other organizations that focus on volunteerism.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Although I don't do any volunteer work, per se, I do contribute a bit to the various Cancer, MS, March of Dimes, etc. via what I do at work and through friends.

I also run a charity hiking event in the Catskills, NY every year to raise money for Brain Tumor research and The Brain Tumor Society which is based in Watertown, MA. Last year, our first event which was a dayhike of the Devil's Path (Backpacker Magazine has listed it as the hardest dayhike in America raised more than $2000 which all of it went towards Brain Tumor research. About a dozen or so of my friends and acquaintinces all organized this with some volunteer staff and raised money for the cause.

Jay

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Thanks cool Jay. :emoji_thumbsup:

Next month Im walking in a 2 mile walk/run to benefit Parkinsons research. One reason why is that my father has it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I sit on two groups, one (Benilde Hall, http://www.benildehall.org/) which is an alcohol and drug rehab center for Veterans. I also work with another group, which is the Missouri Homeless Coalition.

Both organizations do fantastic work, although there is always more to be done. We're trying some donation drives right now for them. Since I'm in the IT world, I end up donating computer services and the like. We are working on rolling out statewide computers into every homeless shelter to help people find jobs, get training, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks