Does a longer version of Event Horizon exist?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

The more I see this movie, the more I like it. A few reviews I read make mention of "20 minutes of cuts" that director Paul Anderson made.
    I'm wondering if anyone across the globe has run across a version of this movie that's not the regular 92 minute one.
    Any other info on what was excised would also be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    ------------------
    Scott
    Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
    AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I have no idea, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE that movie also. If there is a version out there that has 20 minutes of extra footage, then I want it. The subtle mix of Hellraiser and Aliens (5 by 5 reference too!!) is too much for me to handle. Event Horizon = Dweet Horizon. Dweet is my way of saying sweet, just not as tacky.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I would LOVE to see an extended version of this excellent scifi movie, which is IMO one of the scariest flicks to be released in the last 5 years! I can't imagine what plot elements would have been cut though? There isn't much of a plot to begin with. Still a cool flick though!

4. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Yes, the film was originally much longer. But no one knows if it was the studio or the director that cut it. It's all hush hush. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

5. Christina_DQ

Christina_DQ Stunt Coordinator

I went digging through my small Fangoria back issues collection since i don't read the mag much anymore & found the Cutting Room ariticle on Event Horizon in issues #170,page 12.
    Here a few exerpts.....
    Perhaps the most visceraly promising film of last summer Paramonts SF/horror entry....though it never lived up to the 'event" part which many put the blame on it's truncated running time of 95mn-trimmed from a 2 hour rough cut!
    It also mentions that the theatrical version was how PA wanted it & felt th tight editing kept the suspense & story moving forward. (Though you never know today if this is the truth or not)
    Some of the cuts....
    The greatest fear of Cooper(Richcard T. Jones) was loosing someone close to him,which is represented in the film by the unfortunate accident that claims Justin.
    (PA wanted to"skirt" over these issues with some charecters so it would'nt become "pedantic")
    Justin also had some backstory + a stronger explanation for why he enters the strange vortex.
    The feelings that Starck has for Capt. Miller were also glossed over in the final cut
    A much longer & detailed explanation for the gateway & black hole which PA felt confused the hell out of test audiences because it offered "to much" extra info.
    A homage to 2001.....when the crew first enters the ship.....there was a floating tooth with a single shot of the bone still attached. So instead of the space station turing in 2001,it was this tooth!
    The gore was also cut down though was'nt a major issue for the diretor who felt that shortening cutting away really fast has a stronger impact.
    It then states that the director felt he acheived what he set out to do in the theatrical version...so don't expect the missing 1/2hr to reappear anytime soon on LD or dvd [​IMG]
    Hopefully a S.E. may be released someday since this was an amazing movie & i would love to see the uncut version of the film or at least the footage in a deleted scenes section.
    [Edited last by Christina_DQ on September 22, 2001 at 02:53 PM]

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Great researching. I agree that this is a strong horror movie that is pretty successful in most every way. With those items, I would be pretty happy with just a deleted scenes section.
    ------------------
    Bombardment Society - Member

7. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

I don't know if this is the same issue of Fangoria, but I also remember an issue with pictures of all the gore effects...and then being disappointed that they were all gone when I saw it in the theater!
    ------------------
    webmaster davisdvd.com
    International Exclusives

8. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

At the recent Fright Fest in London, Paul Anderson introduced his new film Resident Evil and held a Q & A, during which he revealed that he had recorded a commentary for an Event Horizon Se dvd, and that he hoped to add scenes back into the film.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Paul Anderson did Resident Evil? Hmmm, then it now stands a snowballs chance of NOT sucking. In any case, I'll definately pick up an Event Horizon SE, especially with extra footage [​IMG]
    I really want to see the extra explanation that "confused the hell out of test audiences"
    Jeff Kleist

10. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Still, Soldier has me deeply concerned. It was just such a wasted opportunity. I think RE is going to be especially telling if he has learned any lessons about action movies (which RE looks to be).
    ------------------
    Bombardment Society - Member

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Yes, a longer version of Event Horizon does exist -- it is called Solaris -- it also happenes to be infinitely better movie.
    Obviously the perpetrator(s) of Event Horizon stole all that was worthwhile about it from Solaris -- wheather the novel or the movie, I don't know.
    Ted

12. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

It seems to me that one of the things cut out was the explanation as to why Starck was unconcious.
    ------------------
    These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves this movie. My fiance and I went to see the (short lived) theatrical release and loved every minute of it. Very scary and disturbing movie. I'd love to see a longer cut with further exploration of the story and characters. We can only dream.....

14. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

Great movie, very disturbing. Play the scene where they are watching the video in slow mo and see some of the sickest scenes ever to get by the MPAA. It really surprised me.

15. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

THANK YOU GUYS!
    I thought I was the only who actually loved this movie.
    I haven't been that scared since The Exorcist. Now, I'm not comparing Event Horizon with The Exorcist because the latter is miles ahead, but Event Horizon is still very good in its own right.
    I'm all for an uncut version. Bring it on!
    ------------------
    Andres
    http://home.earthlink.net/~coolvirus

16. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    DEFINITELY a fan of this movie!
    In fact, I remember watching it at the theater and remarking, to myself, that this movie "sounds" great, as well.
    It was one of the ones I was waiting on when I first got into DVD, back in early '98.
    If there is a longer cut, a "directors cut", I would be in line to buy it.
    ------------------
    "...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

17. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

18. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Saw it... Loved it... bought it. Not only did I really enjoy the movie but there are several scenes that give the SVS a good workout... which is always good!
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

19. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I know this isn't a eview thread, butlemme just say, EH was the scariest friggin move ever! I keep my ears blocked and eyes covered most of the time!
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

20. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Interesting film, but deeply flawed. I have a production draft of the script and a lot which was taken out was backstory involving Sam Neill's character.
    And was I the only person to think that the end credit music was the worst (next to the Taylor Dane song at the end of "The Shadow") of all time-- "Oh my god, it's the funky shit!" (an actual lyric, not my impression of the tune).