What's new

Does a longer version of Event Horizon exist? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The more I see this movie, the more I like it. A few reviews I read make mention of "20 minutes of cuts" that director Paul Anderson made.
I'm wondering if anyone across the globe has run across a version of this movie that's not the regular 92 minute one.
Any other info on what was excised would also be appreciated.
Thanks.
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I have no idea, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE that movie also. If there is a version out there that has 20 minutes of extra footage, then I want it. The subtle mix of Hellraiser and Aliens (5 by 5 reference too!!) is too much for me to handle. Event Horizon = Dweet Horizon. Dweet is my way of saying sweet, just not as tacky.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I would LOVE to see an extended version of this excellent scifi movie, which is IMO one of the scariest flicks to be released in the last 5 years! I can't imagine what plot elements would have been cut though? There isn't much of a plot to begin with. Still a cool flick though!

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Yes, the film was originally much longer. But no one knows if it was the studio or the director that cut it. It's all hush hush.
angry.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I went digging through my small Fangoria back issues collection since i don't read the mag much anymore & found the Cutting Room ariticle on Event Horizon in issues #170,page 12.
Here a few exerpts.....
Perhaps the most visceraly promising film of last summer Paramonts SF/horror entry....though it never lived up to the 'event" part which many put the blame on it's truncated running time of 95mn-trimmed from a 2 hour rough cut!
It also mentions that the theatrical version was how PA wanted it & felt th tight editing kept the suspense & story moving forward. (Though you never know today if this is the truth or not)
Some of the cuts....
The greatest fear of Cooper(Richcard T. Jones) was loosing someone close to him,which is represented in the film by the unfortunate accident that claims Justin.
(PA wanted to"skirt" over these issues with some charecters so it would'nt become "pedantic")
Justin also had some backstory + a stronger explanation for why he enters the strange vortex.
The feelings that Starck has for Capt. Miller were also glossed over in the final cut
A much longer & detailed explanation for the gateway & black hole which PA felt confused the hell out of test audiences because it offered "to much" extra info.
A homage to 2001.....when the crew first enters the ship.....there was a floating tooth with a single shot of the bone still attached. So instead of the space station turing in 2001,it was this tooth!
The gore was also cut down though was'nt a major issue for the diretor who felt that shortening cutting away really fast has a stronger impact.
It then states that the director felt he acheived what he set out to do in the theatrical version...so don't expect the missing 1/2hr to reappear anytime soon on LD or dvd
frown.gif

Hopefully a S.E. may be released someday since this was an amazing movie & i would love to see the uncut version of the film or at least the footage in a deleted scenes section.
[Edited last by Christina_DQ on September 22, 2001 at 02:53 PM]

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Great researching. I agree that this is a strong horror movie that is pretty successful in most every way. With those items, I would be pretty happy with just a deleted scenes section.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Mick Wright

Second Unit
At the recent Fright Fest in London, Paul Anderson introduced his new film Resident Evil and held a Q & A, during which he revealed that he had recorded a commentary for an Event Horizon Se dvd, and that he hoped to add scenes back into the film.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Paul Anderson did Resident Evil? Hmmm, then it now stands a snowballs chance of NOT sucking. In any case, I'll definately pick up an Event Horizon SE, especially with extra footage :)
I really want to see the extra explanation that "confused the hell out of test audiences"
Jeff Kleist

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Still, Soldier has me deeply concerned. It was just such a wasted opportunity. I think RE is going to be especially telling if he has learned any lessons about action movies (which RE looks to be).
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, a longer version of Event Horizon does exist -- it is called Solaris -- it also happenes to be infinitely better movie.
Obviously the perpetrator(s) of Event Horizon stole all that was worthwhile about it from Solaris -- wheather the novel or the movie, I don't know.
Ted

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It seems to me that one of the things cut out was the explanation as to why Starck was unconcious.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves this movie. My fiance and I went to see the (short lived) theatrical release and loved every minute of it. Very scary and disturbing movie. I'd love to see a longer cut with further exploration of the story and characters. We can only dream.....

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
Great movie, very disturbing. Play the scene where they are watching the video in slow mo and see some of the sickest scenes ever to get by the MPAA. It really surprised me.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
THANK YOU GUYS!
I thought I was the only who actually loved this movie.
I haven't been that scared since The Exorcist. Now, I'm not comparing Event Horizon with The Exorcist because the latter is miles ahead, but Event Horizon is still very good in its own right.
I'm all for an uncut version. Bring it on!
------------------
Andres
http://home.earthlink.net/~coolvirus

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
DEFINITELY a fan of this movie!
In fact, I remember watching it at the theater and remarking, to myself, that this movie "sounds" great, as well.
It was one of the ones I was waiting on when I first got into DVD, back in early '98.
If there is a longer cut, a "directors cut", I would be in line to buy it.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
which is IMO one of the scariest flicks to be released in the last 5 years!
No shit. Scared the hell out of me. I used to be able to handle this sort of thing until I married a comedy/romance girl (aren't they all?). I've been sensitized to the point that I just can't watch out and out horror anymore. Movies such as Pitch Black and Sleepy Hollow (both of which I own) don't bother me, but real horror is almost unwatchable.
The cover image of the Event Horizon caught my interest. I'm big into sci-fi and love anything to do with cool looking space ships, so after passing this one by during numerous trips to rent other discs, I finally broke down and rented it. It was way too much for me. I wanted to turn the bastard off 20 minutes into it so I would be able to sleep that night but couldn't bring myself to do it, partly wanting to get my $3 worth out of the rental and partly out of pure fascination.
When all was said and done, I had to make my wife stay up for a couple of hours and hang out, read books, chat, etc to get my mind off of it.
Very well done, though! If I was into horror, I would definitely own this one...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Jin E

Second Unit
Saw it... Loved it... bought it. Not only did I really enjoy the movie but there are several scenes that give the SVS a good workout... which is always good!
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I know this isn't a eview thread, butlemme just say, EH was the scariest friggin move ever! I keep my ears blocked and eyes covered most of the time!
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Interesting film, but deeply flawed. I have a production draft of the script and a lot which was taken out was backstory involving Sam Neill's character.
And was I the only person to think that the end credit music was the worst (next to the Taylor Dane song at the end of "The Shadow") of all time-- "Oh my god, it's the funky shit!" (an actual lyric, not my impression of the tune).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks