What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Does $4000 buy any decent boat? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
That is how much I am looking to spend on a bow rider-speed boat. I know it is not a lot, but I am only 18 and that is all I have to invest in a boat. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for PWC's either. Thanks.

Benny G

Second Unit
What is a bow rider speedboat? Just a typical speedboat? Just a boat where there's passenger seating in front?

How many passengers would you want to haul? How comfortable must it be? What kinds of bodies of water?

I'd definitely say $4000 is NOT enough for a decent speedboat. You could get something for $4000, but it wouldn't be very powerful, large, or comfortable.

My father has a nice semi-flat-bottom, aluminum fishing boat (16', 25 hp motor) that goes about 30 mph with ~3 people. You could probably get something like that for ~$2000. It has a open platform on the bow where people can chill out. :) I'd say something like that is your best bet. I think trying to buy a real speedboat for $4000 would be a waste. Just my opinion.

(My father just bought a one-year-old 60 hp Mercury outboard for the boat. It's gonna fly!! Not to mention be a bit dangerous...especially when turning..:D)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
You would have better luck just finding a large Tuna can and attaching an old boat engine to it...

Now, I am sure you could find something in this price range if you dont mind sinking...

You could always try police and government auctions... Sometimes you can get a real steal... Thats if you dont mind the bullet holes and blood stains on the seats...

My advice would be to save the money you have and wait a couple of years until you can afford something that you wont drown in... Either that or just invest in life jackets...

If this is your passion, you will probably buy one anyways which in understandable... So, good luck... Maybe you can get lucky...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
now is not the best time to be buying a boat. it is approaching the best time to sell a boat, if that tells you anything. in october, you couldnt give your boat away, there were deals everywhere.

CJ

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
$4000...

New Rockets...

Or maybe a used NEC XG110LC with fresh tubes...

Or maybe a fully loaded HTPC + 16x9 display...

Dude, a boat??? Psssh ;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
You could get a helluva nice Kayak... Ooops, you meant powered boat... :)

I just got a 'glass Impex Mystic so I'm a happy camper... errh I mean happy paddler.

Jay

AjayM

Screenwriter
In a simple sense, no you can't. And on the other hand yes you can. I say yes simply because if you look around hard enough there are deals to be had on good boats. However that being said, $4k just isn't going to buy much that is decent. It's going to have issues that need looking after, maybe the engine, perhaps the hull itself, electrical is always an issue on a boat, etc.

Also, and this is more just FYI and I don't mean any disrespect, but can you afford a boat? Buying a boat is the "cheap" part of the whole experience. Having been around boating for the past 10 or so years I can tell you that something will always be breaking on the boat, and it costs a metric fortune to be fixing these things. For instance even some minor electrical issues can cost nearly what your budget is just to fix. Have a severe blistering issue? You'll easily spend a grand fixing that, probably more. How about insurance, check around for the cost of boaters insurance (more for the liability aspect than to cover your own boat)? Finally, boating is a great hobby and can lead to lots of lifetime memories, but I've seen all to many people get burned out from it that don't realize everything that is required to truly enjoy the hobby.

Andrew

Van Patton

Second Unit
Great news!!! My dad just said he'd match me dollar for dollar!!! WHOO!!! Now, I have 8000 to toy around with. This $8000.00 has to buy something decent. My ideal boat would be around 20 feet, at least a 6 cylinder, open bow in front with "couches." Now....what are some good boats in the 8000 range? Hopefully, this will open up some more doors.

Robert Marc

Stunt Coordinator
good advice andrew. as my dad said when we (wife and i) bought a boat..."son, the two happiest days in a boater's life is the day you buy the boat.... and the day you sell the boat!":D anyways, I don't have any regrets. We have a Searay 185 bowrider. it's perfect for the lakes and river (missouri) around here. ours has just the 4 cylinder engine in it and i couldn't be happier. it can pull up a slalom skier just fine but it's downright miserly on fuel. i'll appreciate that this summer:emoji_thumbsup: i'm partial to the searays. it's a well built boat and alot of fun. i suppose you may be able to find a used one in your price range. i would take it to a qualified boat mechanic to have it checked out though. you certainly don't want to buy a money pit as andrew alluded too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks