DOCTOR WHO - coming back!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MatthewLouwrens, Sep 25, 2003.

1. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

For those of you who are fans of the classic British show about the Time Lord who travels through time and space in a police phone box that's bigger on the inside than the outside...

With the exception of the 1996 TV movie starring Paul McGann, it has been 14 years since the Doctor was on our screen on a regular basis. In that time, there have been constant rumours about the show coming back. Now, it has been officially announced that the Doctor is returning, and a new series will air on BBC One, probably in 2005 at the earliest.

From BBC News

2. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

Good news, but it looks like they might incorporate the Paul McGann TV movie as canon, which would mean the Doctor being half human will have to be considered canon. I was hoping it could be ignored, like those Peter Cushing movies.

3. andrew markworthy

Given Russell T Davies's previous work, I'm imagining it's going to be something like Will & Grace in Space, with a predilicition for adventures based around Manchester rather than disused Cornish clay pits.

4. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I think it has to be considered canon anyway. I mean, it was a BBC co-production, right? And Sylvster McCoy regenerated into McGann. So it's difficult to ignore it.

Besides, McGann was such a good Doctor, even in a poor story, that it would be a shame to pretend he didn't exist.

And, regarding Will & Grace in Space, the Telegraph article says that we are not going to have a gay Doctor. Which is good. Fans still haven't gotten over the friendly kiss in the McGann movie, they'll never cope with a gay Doctor. And they would never get the Saturday night family audience they're apparently aiming for.

5. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

From the Telegraph article...

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Please let this be good. Please let this be good. Please let this be good.

7. Al Shing

8. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!

I am so psyched---

So, Who's it gonna be??

If they don't bring back Paul McGann... I'd love to see Anthony Stewart Head play the Doctor!

Bill S.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Stephen Fry? Yeesh, let's hope not. He's much too cheerful. It's campy humour that killed off Doctor Who in the first place (and atrocious writing that was the nail in the coffin for the McGann movie).

OTOH if they get ASH I really will throw up.

I'd rather see Richard E Grant (back) as the Doctor. Or how about (wild card idea)... Christopher Eccleston.

I for one hope they disregard that awful McGann episode, and bring back Sly McCoy for the first ten minutes... so they can shoot him again! [​IMG]

11. andrew markworthy

12. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    I'm so geeked about DW coming back I don't know what to say.

Stephen Fry was supposedly in the lead back when the Beeb was trying to get Doctor Who 2000 off the ground as a TV show back in 99.

There's really been no mention about who will play the Dr yet from anywhere from the looks of it. I hope that McGann is given the opportunity to reprise the roll as the 8th Doc. His Big Finish DW audios have been quite good. Heck maybe they'll run with multiple people as the Doctor, that would be cool 1 story with the 8th and 1 with the 9th.

13. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If it's anything like the "new" look of sci-fi with Braga's and Berman's atrociously written Enterprise, then I hope they don't bring back Doctor Who, and spare his fans the agony of another Galactica 2003 on Sci-Fi.

Something tells me they're going to go with a nod towards the hip, teenage crowd (as more and more shows are steering towards that demographic) with hot babes (not that I don't mind some eye candy as long as the women can act and aren't just there to drool over!), young hunks, etc. with as much angst-riddled and superfluous dialog as Smallville and Dawson's Creek rolled together.

Who cares about solid, gripping story lines when young, beautiful people are flapping their cologin-injected lips and taking their clothes off to expose (often-times) surgically altered bodies...

I liked the slightly older (not ancient), wiser look of the Doctor (which would scew the demographic). Tom Baker was my favorite Doctor of the bunch. He seemed to have a grip on humor and dramatic acting considering the low-budget look and feel of the show.

If the writers do decide on more rock solid sci-fi and less space "camp" then I will tune in.

Dan

14. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

I can't wait to see this. Any idea how long it'll be before it shows up on the SciFi channel here in the U.S.?

I'll assume this version of Doctor Who will be decent given that American TV executives won't be involved. The ones involved in that American remake should all be taken out and shot. It was filled with every single bad cliché of American TV of that year and contained none of what made the original series good.

I'm still really angry about that one. To quote Ebert, "I hated hated hated this movie."

15. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    This is good news just as long as they dont water it down like the American TV Movie a few years back.

16. Al Shing

17. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

20. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer