What's new

DOCTOR WHO - coming back! (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that the series seemed rather Earth-centric for a traveller who has unlimited access to space as well as time. But it really does cement the series to a world that viewers will understand. It also manages to be topical and witty. Alien planets and squid monsters take you only so far with a modern audience. But I have a feeling there will be more "off-world" adventures in the second series.
This something the writers have stressed a number of times - the first series was Earth-based to provide a context & grounding for new viewers, and the second series will feature more off-world locations (as shown in the teaser with the Christmas special).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It should be interesting to see how people react to this show since it does have a different feel than American Sci Fi television.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
It's possible that long-time viewers of Dr. Who (among whose number I am not) might find fault with aspects of the show that run counter to how they imagine the show is "supposed" to be, or are perhaps inconsistent with the history of the show. I think perhaps the blend of extreme silliness and quite self-serious drama might be off-putting to purists, though again, I haven't really seen the show before, so I can't say.

I have some thoughts on the second series, but please do not read this if you haven't seen the first series, because it is a spoiler you (trust me) really don't want to read.

If you compare Chris Eccleston's doctor to David Tennant's doctor, they seem to approach the same "wacky young doctor" from opposite directions. It's sort of refreshing. Eccleston had a sinister edge to him, "the doctor with war baggage wearing a leather jacket with all the hard edges" but at his core he revealed himself to be a soft teddy bear. David Tennant seems less dangerous, lighter, more fluffy, and easier to joke, but underneath he is much darker -- and when pushed to the edge, less capable of forgiveness (not that the alien didn't see it coming). Think of C.E. as a dark chocolate shell with light chocolate in the middle, and D.T. as the opposite.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It's also quite incredibly English
Poor you - how are you coping with the culture shock? ;) How do you think the rest of the world feels watching American shows? There are Brit references in the show that probably only a Brit will get, but no more than e.g. purely American references on Friends, The Simpsons, etc. [To take one tiny example - I've regularly heard references on US shows to Leave it to Beaver or Curious George. I doubt if 1% of Brits have a clue what these are. And before you ask - a rather homespun old TV show and a character in some kids' educational books].

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
This isn't really a spoiler, but if you are starting to watch the series and are the sort of person who likes to watch what's going on in the background:

see how many times in the background you can see the words 'Big Bad Wolf'.

This becomes relevant in the final programme (but trust me, I haven't spoilt your enjoyment by telling you this).

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I will say they at least justified the aliens' farting & didn't just make it a throwaway fart gag.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Mr. Andrew Markworthy wrote:

Poor you - how are you coping with the culture shock?
I know you were kidding Andrew, but I'm doing just fine, thanks. When I say "quite incredibly English" I don't mean it as a slight. Americans have been strong-arming television sci-fi for quite some time, and DW2005 makes fun of that very concept. How come the British never get to save the world? I do fine with over 99% of the references, but I doubt the average "X-files American" will catch absolutely everything (jokes about Cardiff, for example), and that might put an ever-so-slight dent in its appeal.

As for those who don't think "Dr. Who 2005" is silly, are you kidding? It's not an insult. It's what makes it so appealing ("farting" aliens, killer mannequins, killer xmas trees not silly?). There's plenty of genuine drama to balance that out. Anyway, my problem with American sci-fi is that it often takes itself too seriously.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I have a question for anyone in the know... When the new series gets broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel, will it be edited for commercials?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Each ep was around 47 min So I would guess it'll fit an Hour long slot with some trims as most shows are about 42 min for an hour slot.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I think Sci-Fi will aim for airing the whole show except for new previews over the end credits. Each episode was made to fit for countries that would air it with commercials instead of the usual 1 hour episode with no breaks format BBC has been making most of their shows for.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
February 23, 2006
A new trailer debuted tonight on the US cable network, the Sci-Fi Channel, which will be showing the new series.

The channel's promotional campaign is entitled "Who Is..." and it features glimpses of the new series including the Doctor and Rose, the TARDIS (but not any clear shots of the interior), the Daleks, and scenes from various episodes, ending with a shot from "The End of the World" with the tagline "..coming in March."

This is the first sign of promotion for the new series, which debuts on March 17 on the Sci-Fi Channel, an NBC/Universal cable network airing in most of America.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks