What's new

DOCTOR WHO - coming back! (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to say that there is a nice little article about this over on the Guardian website - worth reading. It's a little sarcastic, but makes a couple of good points. I especially like this...

If the return of Doctor Who is to be a success, then it needs to bring back a little piece of the 1960s with it. It's not that the oft-cited wobbly sets should be recreated. (And they're not always wobbly - you should watch The Robots of Death!) It's the spirit of wobbliness, the primacy of imagination over special effects, that counts.
That is exactly right. In my view, Doctor Who was great because it couldn't rely on great special effects. Instead, they had great stories, epic stories of surprising scope (made possible by the multiple-episode story format), that made the show worth watching despite the cheesy effects.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
According to an article over at AICN (grain of salt time), the three actors in contention for the role of The Doctor are: Paul McGann, Richard E. Grant, and Alan Davies (Jonathan Creek)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Also in the running is Sean Pertwee, who would be excellent, IMHO.

Bookies' favourite is Alan Davies (please, God, nooooooo!)

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Fry? Yeesh, let's hope not. He's much too cheerful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, I think he's got the mysterious potential in him. Certainly, his books show a dark side that may not necessarily appear in his acting work. Besides, the character does need a somewhat playful side.
Mysterious?! [Shatner]Riiight.[/Shatner] Seriously, though, Fry gets my vote over the likes of ASH and Alan Davies - he's certainly brilliant as BAFTA host, but I've never liked him in any of his acting roles.

And I totally disagree that the character needs a playful side. I actually think that he needs the same sort of makeover that Tim Burton gave Batman. The new show needs to be edgy, witty, interesting, and dark, and not fall back into the poor self-aware campy mockery of it's later seasons. I am confident, with a writer of Russell T Davies' calibre, that the future of DW is in safe hands - but the choice of actor is nevertheless extremely important.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
If people are interested in keepuing an eye on information on the new series, the BBC Cult site has a section dedicated to news on the new series, at http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/newtv/index.shtml
This section, being part of the official BBC site, doesn't really deal in rumours, but if anything is officially announced, it will be on that page.

There is an article up with Russell T Davies talking about the format of the new show.

"At the moment, we're planning thirteen episodes, 45 minutes long. The 13 would be a mixture of one-off episodes, and two-parters, complete with cliffhangers."

Russelll is keen to stress that this is what is planned, but it may not necessarily happen. One thing is certain, the BBC have long-term plans for the show:

"I can certainly tell you that the BBC talks about this show as a potential long-runner," Russell says. "We aren't looking at a special one-off series for nostalgists only - we all want this show to succeed, to gather viewers, to exhilarate and stimulate and create new memories, and return every year."

"In time and space. As a programme, it's always going to use present-day Earth as a touchstone.... but it would be a shame to ignore the endless vistas offered by a fully-functioning TARDIS. The Doctor and his friend Rose will be able to travel anywhere, any time, every Saturday night."

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
They watered down the American TV movie wayyyy too much. Chase scenes, kissing his companion. It was pretty bad.
Let's hope they dont do that this time.

BUMP...

Anyone know when this is going to air in the States? I know it will be premiering in the UK in 2005 but can't even find a premiere date for that.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
For anyone out there who still cares, the new Doctor Who will be airing in the US on the SciFi channel on Fridays starting in March (when the Stargate series and BSG finish their seasons I expect).

According to the BBC, SciFi has an option for the second series.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I'm glad people will finally be able to see it.

Doctor Who checks into SCI FI

SCI FI Channel screen first series Fridays at 9pm from March.

SCI FI Channel and BBC Worldwide Americas announced today a major licensing deal for the first series of the latest Doctor Who adventures.

The 13-part drama is about a mysterious time-travelling adventurer known simply as "The Doctor" (Christopher Eccleston) and his companion, Rose Tyler (Billie Piper). The Doctor and Rose risk death and danger, battling aliens and monsters.

The deal, brokered by Lisa Hofer, Director Co-Production & Sales, BBC Worldwide Americas, grants SCI FI Channel the first run rights for series one with an option for series two. The award-winning series will premiere on SCI FI beginning in March, airing Friday nights at 9.00pm.

Russell T Davies, Head Writer and Executive Producer told us: "The Doctor's made all sorts of journeys in Time and Space, but this is one of his most exciting yet! I'm a huge fan of the SCI FI Channel, and I'm delighted that Doctor Who is appearing on a channel that supports and enhances the entire genre."

"With its rich history of imaginative storytelling, Doctor Who is a true sci-fi classic," stated Thomas P. Vitale, SCI FI's Senior Vice President, Programming & Original Movies. "We're excited to add the show to our lineup."

Commenting on the deal Candace Carlisle, Senior Vice President, BBC Worldwide Americas, said: “The new production has fantastic storylines and production values and has already gained an iconic status around the world. SCI FI Channel is the perfect home for the show and will introduce Doctor Who to a whole new generation of fans in the US.”

In addition, BBC Video has moved the US release date of the DVD from February 2006 to July 4, 2006 to capitalize on the exposure from the TV broadcast. As part of the deal, BBC Video and SCI FI Channel have agreed to work together on joint marketing promotions to support the brand launch.

Burton Cromer, Vice President, Consumer Products, BBC Worldwide Americas said: “We are delighted to be working with SCI FI Channel on the launch of this exciting new take on Doctor Who. The additional marketing support from SCI FI, as well their ability to reach such a broad audience base, made moving the release date an easy decision.”

Executive Produced by Russell T Davies (lead writer) and Julie Gardner, the first series of Doctor Who attracted huge ratings and received critical acclaim when it aired on BBC ONE in March 2005.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Umm, I don't know if any one saw Christmas Invasion like us Canadians and Brits, but if you thought that seeing the Doctor KISS a companion was shocking (see The 8th Doctor Peter McGann who IS cannon). There are parts of Invasion that will blow you away.

The doctor actually engages in hand-to-hand combat and kills a bad guy. That is he actively participates in the death of a character, not just passively alows it to happen.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I find it quite ironic that SFC is praising Who now; at the time the new series came out (no pun intended, honest!) they were quite nasty about it IIRC.

see The 8th Doctor Peter McGann who IS cannon
Peter McGann? Who?!
And he's a cannon?
Well, if you say so, Johnny. ;)
:)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I hope no one judges this new show (before the see it) on the Paul McGann movie. It was horrible and to Americanized. This new series keeps the charm of the original while expanding upon it and fleshing out the characters.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Trust me, it's worth watching. The only weakness of the first series is that it tends to stick pretty much to earth-based stories. And for all those who think that the series can't possibly be frightening any more, wait until you get to the episode set in World War II London - the phrase 'are you my mummy?' will never be the same again.

There are a couple of rather Brit-based aspects of the show that are pretty minor, but that may not translate well:

(1) for the first time the Doctor has a northern accent (that's north of England, not Scotland). Since most Brit action heroes sound like they're from the Home Counties (the posh bits around London) this is very obvious to Brit viewers and gets commented on a couple of times by characters in the show

(2) you get to learn a lot more about the background of the assistant than in previous incarnations of the show; plus, for the first time we have a normal working class girl rather than someone middle class with an exotic background or some street wise sassy teenager that doesn't exist in real life

Most of the show was filmed in Cardiff (about ten miles from where I live - I was intrigued to see the mall where we normally do a lot of our Christmas shopping in the first episode). Series 2 is currently being filmed and a work colleague of mine has been following the filming. Series 2 includes the Cybermen (yes!!) and also an episode written by Stephen Fry. Also, Elisabeth Sladen makes a reappearance (:emoji_thumbsup: ) and so does K-9 (:thumbsdown: ).

Also bear in mind that starting this year (in the UK at least) there is a spin-off series called Torchwood about a character who appears in series 1.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sure a lot of spoilers there.
Eh?

There is nothing there that can be remotely called a spoiler, unless you are the sort of person who would genuinely think the plot was ruined to be told that King Kong was about a giant gorilla, or that Lord of the Rings has wizards in it.

Sheesh, you try to be nice and helpful and all you get for your trouble is 'sure a lot of spoilers here'.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I appreciate the info, Andrew. I just hope SciFi doesn't edit the program to allow more time for commercials or for content.

Can you give an example of the Northern Accent from another Brit show... is that anything like Bubble in AbFab or Lol Ferris in As Time Goes By or Owen in The Vicar of Dibley?

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I have seen the Series One and I can honestly say it was amazing. I am excited to see what they do with it on Sci-Fi. It should fit in the same amount of time, no? Cut credits over ads as they do with most shows and they can take it right up to the end of the hour. Here is hoping. It is a great mix of fun (missing from sci-fi television for a while, think...and I don't count Mansquito as intentionally fun), weird and genuinely creepy (that WWII episode is the goods as noted).

As an American, it was absolutely delightful to see us put in our place as not the ONLY sovereign nation on the planet that stops alien invasions! :D There is a fair amount of Brit pride it in and I found it nicely refreshing. Eccelston is a great Doctor, even if he lasts only a season but if the X-Mas show was any indication I think Tennant will be a great replacement. I hope they pick up Season 2 quickly so we don't have to wait 2 years to get it on the air.

Good news for Friday, too, since March is when Battlestar will be finishing up, right? Or close to it.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Issue #365 of Doctor Who Magazine has more news of Series Two, including official confirmation that the episode being written by Stephen Fry and formerly scheduled as Episode 11 will now appear in Series Three; the writer of its replacement is confirmed as Matthew Graham, co-creator of "Life on Mars", which is about to begin transmission on BBC One. Graham's participation was first noted in a BBC press release in December which mentioned him as one of Series Two's writers. Russell T Davies explains to DWM that Fry's episode has been rescheduled because it fits better with his overall season outline and "to allow extra time to plan some of the FX and prosthetics". As with Series One, the eleventh episode was "left blank" in Davies' outline, and Graham's script was actually commissioned at the same time as Fry's, always with the possibility that it would appear in Series Two not Three, and its first draft was delivered on 20 September. The episode will be made as part of production block four, directed by Euros Lyn, with Mark Gatiss' ‘The Idiot's Lantern' (Episode 7).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Matthew. I'd heard much of the same story, but had heard it was undecided. Looks as if they made their minds up.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'd never seen Dr. Who before this series came to my attention. I knew OF it, of course.

I caught the entire first series plus the "children in need" mini-ep (a miniature but quite necessary and interesting episode, especially if you watched the last episode) and the Christmas special.

And Bravo. I had a lot of fun with this. It manages to successfully blend high camp with effective science fiction drama. Yes, it is quite incredibly campy, but if you aren't turned off after the first ten minutes you'll be OK. It's also quite incredibly English, which I found wonderful, but this might be off-putting to some at first. Be patient and stick around. It's quite a bit deeper than it looks at first.

Also, you'll find that every episode matters. Moments that don't make sense or seem superfluous will usually be put into a broader context later in the series, which is short but has no episodes I would describe as "filler". (British "series" are often about 1/2 the length of a traditional 22-episode American season).

I have to agree that the series seemed rather Earth-centric for a traveller who has unlimited access to space as well as time. But it really does cement the series to a world that viewers will understand. It also manages to be topical and witty. Alien planets and squid monsters take you only so far with a modern audience. But I have a feeling there will be more "off-world" adventures in the second series.

Anthony Stewart Head, known to Buffy fans as Rupert Giles, will have a guest spot this year (in the second series) as well. He looks pretty evil in the promos I saw (no glasses, hair slicked back).

Look for the Series 1 DVD set early this Spring in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks