What's new

Dobie Gillis Coming from Shout Factory (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
WOW...I had to read and re-read this story, trying to convince myself this is really happening...thank you John for posting this link...I'd also be in for Fridays, allthough that's very much more of a mixed bag...Thank you Shout! Factory for bringing us Dobie Gillis, a brilliant and absolutely essential show!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Patty Duke Show, Mister Ed, Dennis the Menace and now THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS! Woo Hoo!
These shows were extremely popular in Australia during their runs. I have a few bits of Dobie thru You Tube including a "Pilot". I do hope Shout has the right titles on these films not the syndicated ones.
Yes, Bob Denver Gilligan has left us. I liked Frank Faylen as the dad, owner of the hardware store(I'll kill that boy!). He was in 118 of the 148 episodes filmed over 4 series. Tuesday Weld and Sheila James(Kuehl) were in fewer than I would have believed.
There was a TV movie released in 1988 called Give the Head of Dobie Gillis which Sheila James appeared. She also did a pilot for a series to be called Zelda but this was rejected when rumors shunted around she was gay. Wonder of that survived, be a good extra that belongs.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
"Bring Me The Head of Dobie Gillis" was the reunion movie. It's available on VHS (I got a copy from Ebay). Dobie and Zelda are married and have a son named Georgie. Dobie became a pharmacist and now runs his father's old store, increased with a pharmacy. The plot concerns the return of Thaila, who wants the one thing she never got - Dobie, and Georgie's attempts to impress a Thalia-like girl while avoiding Chatsworth's daughter. And Maynard does return!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Statskeeper said:
"Bring Me The Head of Dobie Gillis" was the reunion movie. It's available on VHS (I got a copy from Ebay). Dobie and Zelda are married and have a son named Georgie. Dobie became a pharmacist and now runs his father's old store, increased with a pharmacy. The plot concerns the return of Thaila, who wants the one thing she never got - Dobie, and Georgie's attempts to impress a Thalia-like girl while avoiding Chatsworth's daughter. And Maynard does return!
I vaguely remember seeing that! Forgot all about that one!

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Neil Brock said:
So, will Shout manage to do this right or will we get the usual first season syndicated episodes?
' I don't know why you would hang that on Shout. Shout can only use the material that is known to exist. If there are full, unedited episodes available, I can't imagine Shout wouldn't use them. If there are no known uncut episodes available, well, how would you expect Shout to get them? I think our expectations can only be met with what is known to actually be available.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
So I guess it was all just a stupid rumor then. Fox and Shout's relationship with each other didn't go south after all.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
vnisanian2001 said:
So I guess it was all just a stupid rumor then. Fox and Shout's relationship with each other didn't go south after all.
Apparently the rights were aquired through the estate of creator Max Shulman and not FOX.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
BTW, Kasey claimed on Shout Factory boards that I started the rumor. I didn't start the rumor! I swear I heard it from another user on this site! I was just going by what he was saying and was led to believe it was the truth!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
bretmaverick2 said:
' I don't know why you would hang that on Shout. Shout can only use the material that is known to exist. If there are full, unedited episodes available, I can't imagine Shout wouldn't use them. If there are no known uncut episodes available, well, how would you expect Shout to get them? I think our expectations can only be met with what is known to actually be available.
They exist. I have many of the cut episodes complete recorded off air. So, to answer your question, I would expect Shout to get them from the vaults where there residing. There's a difference between not existing and just taking whatever is sent to you. Or is it just a coincidence that after they screw up first season sets they manage to acquire uncut episodes for the rest of the runs?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Besides the Zelda pilot, which they would have to get from Fox, it would be nice for them to get the What Ever Happened to Dobie Gillis pilot from 1977 that James Komack did. It was pretty horrible and deserved to not get picked up as a series but for completion sake, it would be a nice bonus. Komack was so wacky he told Max Shulman that he didn't understand the characters and fired him from the job.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Donkeys are flying! This is fantastic news, and I believe that Shout will use the best qualty film materials available. I do hope that Dwayne Hickman will be involved with this. I'd love to hear an audio commentary or two.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Shout Factory hadn't done much lately - the last 12 months or so - in terms of B&W sitcoms . But this makes up for it . Fantastic news that they are offering the whole series all at once. Shout is a great company. I'll be buying this as soon as it comes out. Now if Paramount would get out the rest of Sgt. Bilko I would be even happier yet!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Neil Brock said:
Besides the Zelda pilot, which they would have to get from Fox, it would be nice for them to get the What Ever Happened to Dobie Gillis pilot from 1977 that James Komack did. It was pretty horrible and deserved to not get picked up as a series but for completion sake, it would be a nice bonus. Komack was so wacky he told Max Shulman that he didn't understand the characters and fired him from the job.
Probably wanted to convert Dobie and Maynard to Sweat Hogs.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Statskeeper said:
Between this news and the announcement that the lost Three Stooges short "Hello, Pop" has been found it's been a good day! Now this just leaves the 1966 Batman...
I hadn't heard about Hello Pop.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I remember Bring Me the Head of Dobie Gillis as being one of the best TV reunion movies (after major disappointments like Rescue from Gilligan's Island and Return of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
Probably wanted to convert Dobie and Maynard to Sweat Hogs.
That would have been a much better idea than what Komack did. Dobie and Zelda were married, he was running the grocery store, had a smart ass teen son and was this really downbeat, depressed guy. And Maynard showed up with white hair playing a hippie guru. It was as bad as it sounds.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Neil Brock said:
That would have been a much better idea than what Komack did. Dobie and Zelda were married, he was running the grocery store, had a smart ass teen son and was this really downbeat, depressed guy. And Maynard showed up with white hair playing a hippie guru. It was as bad as it sounds.
My recollection of the reunion movie was that it was done in the spirit of the original show. They must have known what a mistake that was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks