What's new

Dobie Gillis Coming from Shout Factory (1 Viewer)

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Neil Brock said:
Seeing him go from a happy teenager who was always chasing beautiful girls to a sad, depressed, middle-age man, married to Zelda, still annoying as ever, was not something I ever needed to see.
Except that that's life, Neil; sometimes people don't get what they want, and Dobie didn't get what he wanted. Maybe if Dobie had worked hard at school instead of being such a schemer and had a realistic career goal, he'd be with Thalia now and in a career that he wanted, instead of managing his father's store and becoming married to Zelda. But, he didn't, and now, what happened to him, happened. The same thing happened in the Leave It To Beaver reunion with Beaver, BTW, and people didn't have problems with that (hell, even the live action Archie TV movie was realistic); what gives with the way people feel about this one? Credit Komack and his writers for having a sense of realism compared to the producers, writers and directors of Bring Me The Head Of Dobie Gillis, which just reunited them as if nothing bad ever happened to them in life, completely problem free.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
Seeing him go from a happy teenager who was always chasing beautiful girls to a sad, depressed, middle-age man, married to Zelda, still annoying as ever, was not something I ever needed to see.
I never saw the reunion show and it doesn't sound like I missed much.
Trying to make these classic shows relevant to modern culture is usually a bad move, imho.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Does anyone think there's any chance of Shout Facotry ( or any company ) releasing Bring Me The Head Of Dobie Gillis on DVD? (The 1977 pilot would make a nice bonus feature).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I 've been watching this DVD set slowly , a couple of episodes a week for maximum enjoyment. I just got to season 4. Having watched disc one of season four , it's better than I remember . But Bobby Diamond 's Dunkie character just turned up. I recall that Maynard sort of becomes the main character (along with Dunkie ) for most of the season. But looking back with hindsight , that was a mistake. We all know the Dobie /Dwayne Hickman was the focus of the show with Maynard along for comic relief. Having said that , I also believe that The MLODG had a great supporting cast in Frank Faylen, Florida Friebus , Doris Packer, Stephen Franken, Sheila James etc. Season 4 should have continued to explore the Dobie and Zelda's conflict /relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks