What's new

Do you use your Reciever for video switching? (1 Viewer)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Until now, for video connections I've always connected my dvd player and vcr directly to my rptv, using the component outputs for my dvd player and composite for the vcr. I've always thought that adding anything between a source device and the display device would reduce picture quality.

Now I've added a Replaytv dvr and have started thinking about using my reciever to do all my switching, using s-video exclusively. Doing this would allow me to use less then half the remote controls I do now, but I fear a loss in picture quality. For the record I have a Denon AVR 2700 reciever and a Toshiba TN43V71 43" rptv.

If I go ahead and do this, I'll need a new vcr with s-video out, but I've been looking to replace my old one anyway and this would be a good excuse. :)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
even if you have zero-loss running through a receiver, s-video would be considered a "downgrade", albeit slight, but still a downgrade, from the component connection you currently use for your dvd player, no?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I set up equipment for people as a sideline, and use the receiver for video switching whenever possible. It just makes it so much easier for the people to use.

However, in my own system, I go direct. As Scott said, S-Video is typically a step down in quality from component. If you and other family members don't find it too much of a hassle, going directly from source to TV probably yields a smidgen better PQ.

If you had a 27" set, I don't think it would matter at all, but at 43", signal degradation may be noticeable. But then again, maybe not...

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I use my receiver for video switching it does component video switching so there is no loss (at least visible to me) in signal quality. I like it, makes it so much easier for the wife to use basically all the sources DVD,VCR, HD CABLE BOX all get sent through the component outputs of the receiver to the TV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Why not add a universal remote control, such as a Harmony SST-659 or Home Theater Master MX-500? This should get you down to a single remote to control your system, and can also be configured to automatically select the proper inputs on your receiver and TV for the different source components.

The remotes listed above cost between $100 and $150. There are also less expensive options that are not quite as flexible or user friendly, but may be satisfactory depending on your requirements.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I standardized on SVideo for everything and run through my receiver. But you can also run component cables straight from the DVD player for the more serious movie watching.

Note: Radio Shack sells a $20 adaptor that converts the Composite output of the VCR into SVideo. They also sell the same feature in a cable for about $40. The quality is not great, but it does work for the kids copy of "Vegi Tales".

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Switching should be avoided when ever possible. If you can go directly from source to TV, wy add extra connections and the possibility of a bad contact in the switch.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'll simply state that switching video sources is done routinely in broadcasting, communications, and various scientific disciplines. The general rule to follow is that the bandwidth of the device should be 3 times the bandwidth of the signal being put through in order to have neglible degradation. If you're the paranoid sort, make it 4 or 5 times. So figure out what frequencies your devices are pushing and what the bandwidth of your particular receiver is. For example, if you're running 1080 then your maximum frequency is about 36 MHz so your receiver should be spec'd at 100 MHz bandwidth for the switching. Simple, huh?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty difficult to find a receiver with the 100mhz bandwidth. Below $1,000, the Denon 3803/3805 is the only one I'm aware of with 100mhz switching. The others are in the 50 range. But yes I've heard the same figured 4 to 5 times the bandwidth for neglible degradation before.

Upconversion will be an entirely different ball of wax.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
In my opinion running the dvd player off S-video instead of component would not be recommended. Correct me if I'm wrong, but (assuming you tv is 480P capable) an S connection simply can't give you a 480P signal. Why settle for less quality, when your tv can give you a better picture? On my system, I recently ran everything into the receiver, while only sending video signals to my tv via the composite, S-video, and component out from my Yamaha receiver. I personally didn't notice any difference in video quality. Connecting my vcr via a composite rca connection was fine for me. Hope this helps.:)

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Using my pre/pro to switch S-Video when I watch Dish programming overcame a common Sony Wega complaint, a faint scrolling vertical bar when watching DVDs through components with S-Video connected. When switching to DVD output the S-Video is disconnected, voila! No noise coupling.
The DVD component outputs are connected directly to the Wega.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks