What's new

Installing a SC-PT660 (1 Viewer)

dnavia

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Hello all. I am completely new to anything related to home theater systems and really need some help. I have a Panasonic Viera 42'' Plasma tv. Before the home theater system was purchased I had my Scientific Atlanta 4250HD connected into component 1 of the TV, a Nintendo Wii connected into component 2, xbox 360 connected into HDMI 1, and ps3 connected into HDMI 2. Now I bought this home theater for a really cheap price, and noticed it has a limited amount of ports. I have a couple questions. What is the most effective way of connected at least one of the devices to the home theater to get 5.1 sound? The way it is currently set up now is the component video cables go from the 4250HD to the tv and the component sound goes to the receiver. The HDMI port from the receiver then connects to HDMI 1. When I have the tv set to the component 1, it automatically switches the receiver to AUX, and I get normal sound. However, I do not get surround sound unless I have the Dolby Pro Logic enabled. From my understanding, Pro Logic is fake surround essencially. I also tried connecting an optical audio cable from my ps3 to the reciever, and an HDMI cable from the ps3 to the tv. When I did this, I set the ps3 to use optical cable for audio, and to recieve the video feed from HDMI2. Yet no 5.1 unless I used pro logic. The issue of connecting mutliple pieces of hardware can be resolved with an HDMI switch which I intend to get, but I wonder why I cannot get 5.1 with any set up I've tried. Is it perhaps that only one device can be connected? I don't have much experience, but do not want to pay an insane price to have a pro install it for me. What would be your recommendation? Or if you had the set I had with the devices I had, your means of installing it? Thanks for your time.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Most things (dvd players, Xbox, etc.) need to be set to output the audio as "Bitstream", not PCM, to get 5.1 surround. Not sure about PS3's settings. Also when using optical cables, the optical inputs on a receiver have to be assigned to what's plugged into it. But receivers will usually have one optical input already assigned to dvd. If one of your's is labeled for dvd, plug the PS3 into that one. You will need to use optical for PS3, since your receiver doesn't do the HD audio formats from blu ray movies.

Double check for settings info on receiver and sources, make sure the optical inputs are assigned to what's plugged into them, and you should be ok. The receiver's owner's manual should walk you through assigning the digital inputs. You'll probably need to assign the HDMI inputs also.
Good luck!

dnavia

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Thank you for quick reply and excuse my questions as I am very new to all of this. The receiver only has one optical audio out. It also only has 1 HDMI imput, and a component video output. (and a yellow video output). Is it even possible to have my devices connected with an hdmi switch? All 3 devices (cable box, xbox, and ps3) have hdmi outputs so I am assuming if I have a switch controlling those into the receiver via hdmi, I can connect the receiver using the component cables and audio cables (red and white ones). Is this correct? I actually have packed it back up, assuming that I need something with more outputs. The instruction manual is very confusing, and does not really mention other devices (as it is not meant for it). If it is possible, what would be the best way of connecting them (assuming I have an hdmi switch)?

dnavia

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
The receiver has one hdmi port, one component (3 video 2 audio), and one optical. Assuming I have an hdmi switch, is it possible to connect all 3 devices with the switch and how would this be done. Could I have the switch going into the hdmi port in the receiver, and have the output from the component port in the receiver to the component port on the tv? I actually have packed it back up to return incase this is not possible. Again excuse my questions, I am really new to this. Thanks for your patience.

dnavia

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
The receiver has one hdmi port, one component (3 video 2 audio), and one optical. Assuming I have an hdmi switch, is it possible to connect all 3 devices with the switch and how would this be done. Could I have the switch going into the hdmi port in the receiver, and have the output from the component port in the receiver to the component port on the tv? I actually have packed it back up to return incase this is not possible. Again excuse my questions, I am really new to this. Thanks for your patience.

dnavia

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
The receiver has one hdmi port, one component (3 video 2 audio), and one optical. Assuming I have an hdmi switch, is it possible to connect all 3 devices with the switch and how would this be done. Could I have the switch going into the hdmi port in the receiver, and have the output from the component port in the receiver to the component port on the tv? I actually have packed it back up to return incase this is not possible. Again excuse my questions, I am really new to this. Thanks for your patience. This has the specs if it helps: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

dnavia

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Sorry for the double post. I've been trying to post my reply but it is not showing up for some reason? I've tried on 3 different browsers...the other post can be deleted.

The receiver has one hdmi port, one component (3 video 2 audio), and one optical. Assuming I have an hdmi switch, is it possible to connect all 3 devices with the switch and how would this be done. Could I have the switch going into the hdmi port in the receiver, and have the output from the component port in the receiver to the component port on the tv? I actually have packed it back up to return incase this is not possible. Again excuse my questions, I am really new to this. Thanks for your patience. This has the specs if it helps: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Original post:

Hello all. I am completely new to anything related to home theater systems and really need some help. I have a Panasonic Viera 42'' Plasma tv. Before the home theater system was purchased I had my Scientific Atlanta 4250HD connected into component 1 of the TV, a Nintendo Wii connected into component 2, xbox 360 connected into HDMI 1, and ps3 connected into HDMI 2. Now I bought this home theater for a really cheap price, and noticed it has a limited amount of ports. I have a couple questions. What is the most effective way of connected at least one of the devices to the home theater to get 5.1 sound? The way it is currently set up now is the component video cables go from the 4250HD to the tv and the component sound goes to the receiver. The HDMI port from the receiver then connects to HDMI 1. When I have the tv set to the component 1, it automatically switches the receiver to AUX, and I get normal sound. However, I do not get surround sound unless I have the Dolby Pro Logic enabled. From my understanding, Pro Logic is fake surround essencially. I also tried connecting an optical audio cable from my ps3 to the reciever, and an HDMI cable from the ps3 to the tv. When I did this, I set the ps3 to use optical cable for audio, and to recieve the video feed from HDMI2. Yet no 5.1 unless I used pro logic. The issue of connecting mutliple pieces of hardware can be resolved with an HDMI switch which I intend to get, but I wonder why I cannot get 5.1 with any set up I've tried. Is it perhaps that only one device can be connected? I don't have much experience, but do not want to pay an insane price to have a pro install it for me. What would be your recommendation? Or if you had the set I had with the devices I had, your means of installing it? Thanks for your time.

dnavia

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel

dnavia

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Sorry for the repeat post, didnt mean to do that..

Anyways, the receiever has 1 hdmi port, one optical audio port and one component port (3 video, 2 audio). Is it at all possible to use a switch to connect all 3. If it isn't I'll just forget trying to set it up and send it back (I've actually packed it back up). Now, assuming I can do this, would I have all 3 devices (xbox, ps3, and cable box) connected to the hdmi switch, which would connect to the hdmi on the receiever? Then have the components connect from the reciever to the tv? The only problem I see with this is I will not get 1080i from the devices since component is being used from the receiver to the tv. Or am I better off spending a bit more money and getting a reciever with proper outputs. If so, which ports am I looking for when I shop to replace this reciever? And please excuse the questions, as I am very new to all of this. Here are the specs if it helps: SC-PT660 - DVD Home Theater Systems - Shop and Compare at Panasonic

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks