What's new

Do you use analog or digital output of your CD player? (1 Viewer)

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious whether you use analog or digital output of your CD player, and what kind of CD player/system you have. And, also why you made that choice.

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
Analog--I have an Audio Refinement CD Player. I use Analog bypass on an Audio Refinement Preamp.

John Royster

Screenwriter
analog by far
CDP - adcom gcd700
pre - denon 3802 direct
amp - HK
speakers - ML requests

-edit- need to answer your question why. denon DAC was muffled, muddy, closed soundstage, poor imaging/separation. Adcom was open, deep, clean...souned like I took my hands and uncovered my ears.

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
John, if you're that unhappy with Denon's DAC, I'm surprised that you use that... Any plan to get a dedicated pre/pro?

John Royster

Screenwriter
Yoon,

I've got a two channel pre-amp that is sitting around. My difficulty is mixing a 2-channel and home theater system. The 3802 is a good receiver and the DD and DTS sounds great, I'm just a little more critical when it comes to 2-channel music.

Future plans might include a pre-pro, but only if the two channel performance is up to snuff. I'd then likely use the 3802 for surround amp duties and maybe a 600 watt sunfire for the reQuests.

My comments above might have been slamming the 3802, I'm just real picky on music since I've grown up on pre-amps and power amps. This is my first receiver.

Julio

Agent
I use ANALOG too my cd player has digital but I use ANALOG this may sound stupid the reason I don't use ditital is because the receiver on the back doesn't say CD DIGITAL INPUT lol I like to keep everything where is suppose to be plugged

JOHN I'm like you I had so many dj equitment that I'm scare that i'm going to blow out my RECEIVER or my speakers lol

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I use the analog outputs on my Cambridge Audio D500 SE because I don't have an external DAC :D
-Mike...

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
Digital because I thought that was always better, but not so sure anymore.

Denon 2802
Sony CDP-CD375

Is it possible that the Sony DAC is better than the Denon DAC?!?!?!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I use a digital connection from my Sony 555ES SACD player to my Anthem AVM-20 Pre/pro because the DAC's in the Anthem are simply better, but almost as importantly is the fact I have bookshelf speakers all around and need the bass management capabilities of the Anthem. If I had full range speakers, the decision would be very difficult, but I still think I would go with the digital connection.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Digital out from my SCD-C555ES CD changer to my Denon 5803. Actually, analog sounds great but the receiver is still fairly new too me so i'm giving the 5803's DAC's a spin.. :)

John Royster

Screenwriter
Chip,

That would be a pretty good comparison. The 5803 vs the SCD555es. A flagship receiver vs a very good player.

I use the digital out on my CD player:
CD Digital Out -> DIP -> DAC -> Pre-Amp -> Amp -> Speakers
The DIP/DAC combination makes a WORLD of difference, IMHO. That would be the reason I'm using my digital out. ;)
P.S. My stereo equipment list link is in my signature if you're interested.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I use analog connections with all of my CD players since they are all connected to stereo integrated amps that have no DACs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Roger, I would bet that your system would sound better via a digital connection. The 'CE375 doesn't have a great DAC, and possibly more important, the implementation is likely quite poor. However, try both analog and digital cables and see which you prefer. Just remember to set your '2802 in analog bypass mode when trying analog cables.

I run analog out from from an SD9200 to 3801 to Monitor Audio Silver 5is. I use the digital out of a Yamaha CDC-585.

I have spent a lot of time doing A/B testing (digital vs. analog) and must admit that with my system and my ears discerning the difference is not always easy.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Saurav said:

Analog, because my CD player doesn't have a digital output
What CD player do you have? There aren't too many players out there these days that do not have a digital output. The Denon DCM-270 is one that comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks