What's new

Do you use analog or digital output of your CD player? (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
Sony 555ES analog out-->Analog passthrough on my pre-amp(Yamaha receiver).

Suprisingly, there is not a huge difference between the 555's processing and output section and the Yamaha's. There is a difference but not as big of one as I would have expected. That's not bad for a four year old receiver(can't wait until I can uprgrade it to a dedicated pre/pro though early next year).

DJ

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Digital.

I don't have a CD player but I use my Pioneer 525 DVD to play CD music. I connected both the Optical and Coaxial outs to my Marantz SR7200.

I then connected my DVD Player analog outs straight to the TV. That way, when my kids watch their Barney VCD's, they don't need to turn on the Receiver.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Currently using analog out from both my SCD-C555ES and Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 to my Anthem AVM-20. Haven't really tried comparing C555ES's digital vs analog yet, but between the tube out of the Ah! and the tight bass provided via my Odyssey amp, it won me over vs the very capable AVM-20 processing and SVS sub. C555ES is comparable. However, comparisons were done a while ago and far from comprehensive. Guess there's more experimentation ahead; always nice to have more fun awaiting :) .

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Perfect question, and I need your help in making my upgrading choices.

I want SCD C555ES sound, but the convenience & safety of megachanger CDPM555ES. (Safety?! Yes - my 3-year-old Beethoven-lover's hands are all over my CD collection, so a megachanger may prolong my CDs' lives.)

I will upgrade receiver soon to either Yamaha RXZ1 or Denon 4802 (5803 if I'm fiscally irresponsible). I plan to make use of their DACs. I also record on CDR via digital.

For those with experience using any similar combinations, what do you think:

Compared to the C555ES' redbook DAC, would the Sony ES megachanger sound about as good via its digital out to a flagship receiver's DAC (Yamaha RXZ1 or Denon 4802 ... or even 5803$)? Or, does the C555ES analog out outshine even these fine flagships' DACs from a lesser transport? I can't audition locally because no local shop carries flagships or top ES models. I need to make a leap of faith and buy online. Any suggestions?

One more frustrating thing: is there a workaround to cope with the megachanger ES only having one digital output? I do record CD-Rs often, so how do I share its one output with both the receiver's DAC and the CDR?

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
Doug - does the receiver not have a digital out? If it does, that should work just like an analogue tape output, so you can connect that to your CDR.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug Pyle, it is hard to say how the 'C555ES via the analog outputs would compare to the 'M555ES via the digital output to a flagship receiver. It is too bad you can't compare the two. What are you using for CDs now? One thing you might want to do is get the receiver and try the digital output on whatever you are using for CDs now and see how you like the sound. That might give you an indication of how the 'M555ES would sound as a transport. It depends on whether or not your system is revealing enough to project the difference in sound between transports. The 'M555ES isn't the greatest transport out there, but it might work fine in your system. This is not intended as criticism of your system, but it could just be what you observe.
I'd be inclined to try the 'M555ES first, unless SACD capability is a must. It seems that SACD isn't a must for you. Although more expensive, I suggest you buy through Crutchfield. Buying through Crutchfield is like buying through a reputable brick-and-mortar store. They have a no-risk, 30-day guarantee. If you get the 'M555ES and don't like it, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund. They pay return shipping, and there is no restocking fee. I know I sound like I work for Crutchfield, but I don't. :) It's worth noting that Crutchfield also has the 'C555ES. J&R Music World, another reputable dealer, also sells the 'M555ES and 'C555ES and is almost always cheaper than Crutchfield. J&R has a 30-day return policy, but with J&R, you would have to pay return shipping. I imagine shipping for an 'M555ES from Hawaii to New York City would be quite high. So, go with Crutchfield.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Thanks Mark & Keith for the ideas. I'm still pondering.

- KeithH: What do you mean, by M555ES is not a great transport? In what way? Can you explain what I might hear (if the system would reveal it)? What should I listen for?

I've heard it argued recently that you can use any cheap transport and with a great outboard DAC or receiver DAC, there's no need for a high-end CD player. I don't know if I believe that, but I can't test it and I'm looking for more opinions / information. If true, though, that would support getting the most convenient changer and spend real money on the separate DAC. Is that flawed reasoning?

Frankly I'm leaning to the C555ES because, when weighing factors, highest quality sound is not the factor to compromise on. I heard the C222ES, heard room for improvement (too metalic but great imaging), but overall was impressed, certainly better than my current system. The question is can a comparable sound to the C555ES be had via the receiver DACs matched with a lesser transport?

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
BTW: I'm listening to CDs on a pretty fair Yamaha CDC 845 but for it's nearly dead tray eject mechanism. Its days are numbered. I record on the Tascam CDRW700 (great recorder, not so good playback).

And to the topic of the thread: I use analog out to RXV870 receiver (no digital input - older generation), and digital out to CDR.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am currently using an optical digital connection, since I prefer the DAC's in my receiver (Pioneer Elite 47TX) to those in my CD player (an 8+ year old Sony 5-disc carousel). My next planned upgrade is a Sony ES CD/SACD player -- but that will not be for awhile (I just added two rear center surround speakers). I will need to experiment with analog vs. digital connections again when I finally upgrade.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Currently using analog out from both my SCD-C555ES and Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 to my Anthem AVM-20.
How do you like your Tjoeb 4000? I'm in the process of switching to all tube gear and am wondering if it's worth going for a CD player with tubed outs.

-Mike...

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Currently Analog from JVC XLZ1010TN CD player to Harman Kardon AVR8000 receiver. Also have Digital from Sony DVPS7000 to the same receiver. -gh

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Analog. Both the receiver's and player's DAC's are comparable. Also, I don't have a true 'bypass' or 'source direct' on the H/K 510...just tone in/out so I use the 6 channel direct for all CD play.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
How do you like your Tjoeb 4000? I'm in the process of switching to all tube gear and am wondering if it's worth going for a CD player with tubed outs.
I am happy with the Ah! There is flexibility in that the tubes that are used in the analog output stage are interchangeable (without hassle). When I purchased the Ah!, I opted for an upgrade to the Amperex 7308 tubes. They are supposedly warmer than the stock tubes and even a bit warmer than the popular Siemens (sp?) 7308 tubes, according to Kevin at Upscale Audio, the US importer of the unit. I say supposedly because I have never even tried the stock tubes (and don't have the Siemens), and I use planar speakers which still bring out a heck of a lot of detail and clarity, i.e., it doesn't seem like any of the music is rolled off at the top or muddy to any extent. [I really should try the stock tubes for comparison - next vacation.] As a whole, my system with the Ah! (or the Sony C555ES for that matter) brings out pretty much both the best and the worst of the recorded source material.

Note that there are upgrades that are currently and soon will be available. In the soon category, Upscale Audio will offer an upsampling card. In the current category, Dan Wright, infamous for his source player mods, currently offers mods for the Ah! 4000 (see his website or his forum on Harmonic Discord). Upscale Audio currently provides Op Amp upgrades as well.

Maybe Keith will provide add'l opinions on the Ah! 4000. He's more the experimenter than I :D .

BTW, I'm interested in what you have or are considering for a tube preamp. If I eventually opt for one, I would need an HT bypass input and at least three pair of inputs for sources. I'm undecided about a phono input; probably not.

Doug

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Analog. I'm spinning discs on the Pioneer PDR-05 (I think that's the right model number). It was one of the first cd-recorders around, but it received unbelievable praise for its playback too. I bought one sound unheard about 5 years ago for $2000 (ouch), but I've been smiling ever since. This thing is so smooth and natural sounding...

FYI- my pre/pro is a Lexicon DC-1 v.3, by no means a slouch when it comes to DAC's, but I'll take the sound of the player hands down. The Lex is clean and pristine, but a little too cold sounding by comparison.

Darn, this post makes me want to run home and crank some beautiful music!

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
BTW, I'm interested in what you have or are considering for a tube preamp.
Thanks for all your info regarding the Ah! 4000. I may put one on my Wish List if I get back into spinning CDs again (I haven't turned my CD player on since I got my turntable set up again last month).
Right now I'm using my Cambridge Audio A500 as a preamp. I'm looking at getting the Antique Sound Lab LH-01 when it's finally released. It's inexpensive and has remote as well as headphone out. My dealer said it has at least 3 inputs. I'm just pleased as punch with my ASL Waves and I've heard great feedback on many of their other products.
I don't know of any tube preamps that have HT (5.1) inputs or throughputs. I have a dedicated 2 channel room and right now I just run my DVD/TiVo straight into my RPTV. As soon as I swap out my preamp, I'll be moving the Cambridge back to the living room.
I've been much happier since separating the 2 channel system out. I don't have to make such compromises anymore. I'm looking at the Sony TA-P9000 as the preamp for my (future) surround system. It's supposedly very transparent. Combine that with a SACD/DVD-A/DVD Player that supports DD and DTS decoding and I don't have to worry about getting a pre/pro. I'm toying with building a 6 channel amp out of these http://www.tubeaudio.com/page23.html just to get that touch of tubes in my HT. Should be fun.
-Mike...

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Mike,

I don't know of any tube preamps that have HT (5.1) inputs or throughputs.
I should have been clearer. All I need is a 2ch input for HT bypass, since only my 2ch amp that supports my mains would be shared with my HT preamp. The other 3.1 channels of HT output go to my other amps that would not be affected by the insertion of a 2ch tube preamp. I believe this is the typical scenario when integrating a 2ch preamp into an HT system and thus moving 2ch sources away from the HT preamp.

I am definitely curious to find out how it all works out for you with end-to-end tubes.

Doug

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
All I need is a 2ch input for HT bypass, since only my 2ch amp that supports my mains would be shared with my HT preamp.
If by bypass you mean having an unattenuated line out, just look for a tube preamp that has a tape loop. You can just use the tape out as a line level out. I do this when I want to hook up my heaphone amp to my integrated amp.

-Mike...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks