What's new

Do you really hear it when a Tempest bottom out? (1 Viewer)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe a newbie question for you but this is the first time I play with that sub. I can hear very well when my Hsu VTF-3 bottom out, but the Tempest seems to be a cleaner woofer, you hear less the distortion. I dont know if you hear a CLAP or something like that when it is overdriven so this is why I ask you the question! The sub begin to pass its broke in period and I started to fire some songs since 2 days. Does the Tempest require a long break in before I can fire it all the way up?

Thanx :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
How big is your room? It must be pretty big to bottom out a tempest. According to Adire it takes a couple of movies with good bass in them to break it in. I ain't gonna argue with the people who made the thing.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
The Tempest should do better than 100dB @ 20Hz before running out of X-max. With room gain, it's more like 110dB at the chair. Unless you're using a box tuned above 20Hz, I doubt you would want to play it loud enough for it to bottom.

With the exception of some electronic music, hip-hop, and organ music, the Tempest should never bottom on music unless you've tuned the port too high.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
oh you can hear the tempest bottom out. I did it today a couple hours ago. A couple people wanted to hear how loud it got and i pushed it a little to far and bottomed it out but made sure to turn it down right away. Its actually pretty hard to bottom these out.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
hummm ok thank you! But for the moment, I dont drive it very hard, I will wait again 3 or 4 days before turning up more the volume. Im in a hurry to see how much it can crush me :D But when you bottom it out, do you hear a very distinctive sound or you hear just distorted sound? With my Hsu VTF-3, that was very clear when it was overdriven, the sound was clean until I hear like a pop and muffled sound...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I had in a large room[box 5.7 3ft tuned 2 15"prs to 18hz]and with exess of 1000w it was very easy for me to bottom it,but only on certain movies never on music.Exchanged to a BP1503,never looked back.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I think the only way to bottom out a Tempest at sane levels is using tones deeper than tuning. My Tempest flaps like crazy when playing those explosions at the end of Fight Club yet doesn't even seem to break a sweat on the LOTR Sauron explosion which seems like it would be more challenging.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh well, if this is just about cone flapping so when you drive too hardly your Tempest, you know it. For the moment, I was affraid to bottom out my Tempest when I played the Hsu VTF-3 demo disk, the first track. This track is all about bass between 16 and 25 Hz, pipe organ. On the receiver, the volume was at 35dB when I began to play the track. GODD!!! I was so impressed of how loud the Tempest could be, the floor rattled so much I thought that there was an earthquake!!! Then I turn up the volume to 32.5dB, and still, the Tempest didnt bottom out!!! Holly shit, this time, in the bathroom, my mum put a water bottle on the ceramic counter and I could see it vibrate, not the water, the whole bottle, this is just insane!!! Actualy, I would take a video of this scene and people would beleive me if I say that at that time, there was an earthquake! I dont want to imagine what a Tumult would do!!! This would be certainly horrible! Total massacre and destruction of the house! By the way, this is a woofer I would like to get one day, just for the hell of it even if this is enough with my Tempest!

At this volume, a lot of air come out from the two 3 inches flared vents, but I dont hear it. I guess that Im near of the Tempest limit. I really dont want to bottom it out for the first 3 days, this would be sad. I dont know what would happen if I turn up the receiver volume to 30.0 dB... Im a sensible person, I would cry a river if it bottom out :frowning: !!! No but seriously, I just want to avoid this at all cost. What if It bottom out just one time or if it distort? Is this a very tough driver? I can say that the VTF-3 is a very tough driver, I bottomed it some times and it is still in super shape, I dont think that anybody would know that I bottomed it out a few times...

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Oh well, if this is just about cone flapping so when you drive too hardly your Tempest, you know it. For the moment, I was affraid to bottom out my Tempest when I played the Hsu VTF-3 demo disk, the first track. This track is all about bass between 16 and 25 Hz, pipe organ. On the receiver, the volume was at 35dB when I began to play the track. GODD!!! I was so impressed of how loud the Tempest could be, the floor rattled so much I thought that there was an earthquake!!! Then I turn up the volume to 32.5dB, and still, the Tempest didnt bottom out!!! Holly shit, this time, in the bathroom, my mum put a water bottle on the ceramic counter and I could see it vibrate, not the water, the whole bottle, this is just insane!!! Actualy, I would take a video of this scene and people would beleive me if I say that at that time, there was an earthquake! I dont want to imagine what a Tumult would do!!! This would be certainly horrible! Total massacre and destruction of the house! By the way, this is a woofer I would like to get one day, just for the hell of it even if this is enough with my Tempest!
One time, (the same time I played the Sauron explosion at sdb from reference actually), my younger brother said he could feel the bass. My brother was in camper in my driveway:D

You won't hurt the driver by bottoming it out. As long as you turn it down when the bottoming starts.

Derek*k

Auditioning
Anybody know what the Sauron Sweep bottoms out at frequency-wise? I have a Dayton 12 DVC (130L@20)and I've never gotten the driver to bottom. My 250W plate clips first. :D

Excursion gets a bit high in the 30hz range, but then she's solid down to about 18hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks