What's new

Out of ideas. help? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
I'm sorry for all the similar posts, but I just can't satisfy myself.

My question is this...

How high can most of you turn up your 250 watt Tempest subs before you hear unnatural noises emanating from it?

From what I have read here, a lot of you can push this sub very hard before hearing noises. And the noises heard are primarily bottoming out, or clipping. Am I right?

My EBS Tempest seems to have a weird noise when I really crank it. But, I am sure it is not bottoming since I have seen the cone travel much further at other times without making any noise. (A few times I got a weird sick feeling seeing the cone move so far out, kinda freaky. But still, no noise).

I thought it might be clipping, since with the RCA connection I seemed to have to turn the levels up pretty high to get the bass I wanted. Like at least +6(-10 to +10) on the receiver pre-out, and 3/4 on the plate amp. So I tried the high level inputs instead... I got quite a bit more bass out of it, and therefore the levels are turned down a fair amount. Plate amp 1/2, and bass adjustment set to 0(-6 to +6). It still makes the same noise that I suspected was clipping!

I moved the sub out of the corner. Still made the noise, though a little less noticable(corner gain?).

I turned it over and checked for air leaks. Plugged the vents best i could and spread flour along the sub/baffle seam. Nothing blew away. I did the same for the terminal cup. It was okay.

I am quite sure the box itself is very sturdy, and nothing rattling there. I fastened the wires inside the sub best I could, thinking it might be them rattling too.

Double checked all wiring too.

I am now out of ideas.

I realize that I can easily reach calibration levels with no problems. But, when I want to shake the house or show off to my buddies, something just doesn't seem right. When people see the huge box in the corner of my room, they expect it to blow them off their feet. Of course it never could, but they definitely expect to be blown away! Maybe they do get blown away, and I am just desensitized to how much bass is pumping out? One thing is for sure, nobody's gonna say to me, "You know, that huge sub really kinda sucks." Even if they think it does. After the amount of time and money I've put into this thing, nobody would insult me like that.

I should have no doubts as to the perfomance of my sub, but I do.

PaulDF

Second Unit
I just want to know if many of you other Tempest owners Can turn your levels up briefly without noises? Perhaps I just need to learn to turn it down.

Craig Carrigan

Stunt Coordinator
Try standing the sub up on its bottom. I had a noise coming from mine and turned it upside down (sub facing up). After this the noise stopped. We might be experiencing the same problem. Also, make sure you have put the sub in the correct spot in the room for best sound. Place the sub where you sit and walk around the room until you hear the most bass (you sound like a basshead) and place the sub where you are standing.

Craig Carrigan

PaulDF

Second Unit
I have flipped the thing over onto it's top a few times, and the noise does seem to lessen. Not sure if it totally disappears, but it IS better. Though the overall output is lesser too.

I have also placed the sub in my usual listening position, and measured SPL throughout the room. The corner where I currently have the sub is one of the points of higher SPL. A good thing because I am somewhat limited as to where I can put the monster.

Craig, do you also have an EBS Tempest? If you are experiencing the same thing as me, then maybe its just the nature of the EBS?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks