What's new

Do you feel compelled to watch a movie to the last word/note of the ending credits? (1 Viewer)

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Only if it's the first time or there is something humorous or I like the music or when I used to beat Nintendo Games and laugh when I tried to pronounce all the Japanese names. I don't consider the credits important to the storyline. I even skip those FBI warnings if possible. To this day I have not read past the first line. I know basically it says don't copy this or we'll put you in jail and we know we're wasting your time by making you read this, but screw you or we'll shoot you and plant some drugs on you.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I still would like to know what people who leave during credits are doing that's so important (those with girlfriends notwithstanding, that is!)

I remember after "Scary Movie" I was the only one who actually stayed til the very end, yet when I went outside there were groups of kids still standing around talking about the movie! Too bad they missed the best part!

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting...I usually leave the theater as quickly as possible IF I didn't like the movie at all, for instance:
Freddy Got Fingered (left before credits were on screen)
Th13teen Ghosts (laughed and walked out as they started)
Rat Race (watched for a few seconds then left)
Josie and the Pussycats (left immediately looking straight at the floor) :angry:
My movies on DVD, I ALWAYS watch the credits on them. The only time I turn them off is if i'm in a hurry or have to work 'cause i'm already late!
So basically, if the movie was decent, I'll watch the credits!

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I like to check out the credits at the end of the show. Mostly its to see where it was filmed, especially if it has a lot of outdoor-in the bush scenes. Its great to watch a show and recognize parts of Banff or Jasper National Parks in it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Also rarely do I FF through the beginning credits.
I can only remember fast-forwarding through beginning credits one time: Do the Right Thing. I just couldn't stand watching Rosie Perez dancing like a maniac to that horrible Public Enemy rap.

I usually let the end credits run before shutting off the DVD player.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
If it's a movie I've watched 100 times like Real Genius, The Wedding Singer, BTTF trilogy, etc. Then I will usually not watch the credits because I know them by heart.

If it's a movie I don't watch much but like, I will play till the credits are done.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Always. Unless it's absolutely impossible (people consequently and massively in front of me in the theatre).

(And I do know of a couple who missed the "explanation" in Wild Things.)

Cees

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
What's even worse is the unbelievable amount of people who get up and leave when they think it's the end...before a single end credit has appeared!
Recently, a good half of the audience got up and left when Mark Wahlberg started to take off in the pod at the end of Planet of the Apes, completely missing the film's twist ending!
Everybody's in such a damn rush! :angry:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I usually watch all the credits. One reason I do this is if there's an unfamiliar song on the soundtrack that I like, I want to know who performs it.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Perhaps this is what the directors intented. However, I never do in commercial theaters and rarely at home unless the closing credits includes some nice music I want to hear.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It usually depends on the music and whether I liked the film or not.
With Harry Potter I was out of my seat before the first bar of the closing score was done. And I guarantee that I'll be there until the lights go up on The Fellowship Of The Ring :)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I stay for every credit on the screen. I feel it is respectful. Of course I stayed for Harry Potter, my favorite film of the year.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I always sit through the credits. They are part of the movie. I hate having to fight my way to the exit due to everyone leaving soon after the credits roll. I'd rather just wait for them to clear out.

Besides, sometimes you miss some extra stuff by not staying through the credits. Although it's been mentioned, Scary Movie had a funny scene that played after the credits were done. So did Ghost World.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Holy smokes - some of you fast forward the opening credits?!!??! Sacrilege! Are you same people advocates of pan/scam? ;)
As for the closing credits, I always sit through them. My local cinema is rubbish (as I keep saying) - they turn the lights on full blast as soon as the end credits begin rolling. I think they get deeply annoyed with me staying in my seat to watch till the studio logo appears...

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
After working at a theater for 6 years, I can't sit through the credits. If there is something to watch, though, such as gags in the credits (Hot Shots Part Deux), blooper reel (Rush Hour - or any Jackie Chan movie), or an extension of the ending (Any Given Sunday), I really don't see the necessity (not saying that there is anything wrong with it).

I also can see if a person knew of someone who worked on the movie and wants to see if that person is credited, if you want to find out a name to a particular song, who played a certain role in the movie, or filming locations, I can completely understand the reasoning for staying. Anymore, that information can be found on the internet.

All in all, if there is no particular reason to stay, I ask, "Why stay?"

I guess that from just knowing that I can always see the movie again in case I do miss something (in the credits), I don't see the point of staying. If I liked the movie and know that I missed something, I will watch it again. On the other hand, if I missed something and I didn't like the movie, oh well.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I sit through the credits, and am almost always the last one out of a showing, but that's just so I can get my pants back on.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
In the theater I stay if I like the movie, if I don't like it I'm outta there.

At home I watch the end credits once, after that I only watch them if I like the music.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
The only time I use to stay till the very end was during a James Bond movie. The very last thing the credits would reveal was the name of his next movie, i.e.:

"James Bonds returns in "Moonraker"

I use to really look forward to that. I don't think the do it any more though.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I'm another one who is the last out of the theater as the ushers patiently wait to start cleaning up.

At home, it varies. Good music or knowing an additional scene is coming will keep me watching, but I sometimes hit the Menu button to get to the extras.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks