What's new

Do Car CD players damage CDs? (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
My old car had a slot CD player in the head unit. I've noticed that a few of the discs I used to listen to a lot in there now have several slight scratches on them. Talking to one of my friends he noticed that his have the same too (different make of car).

My new car now has a tape head unit, with a 6-CD changer in the boot. Are these multiple changers safe with CDs or should I copy them to CDR for playing in the car. I do make a lot of compilations from my PC which I don't mind if they get scratched. I don't one my originals getting damaged.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I sell CDs that I no longer like to used CD stores, and a couple were rejected because of scratches. The clerk have said that it is most likely from the car.

However, I'm too lazy, so I still listen to the original CDs in the car.

NP: Kind Diamond, Them, CD

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Well, I had a CD player that just gave up during a cross-country drive and refused to relenquish the CD in its possession. After replacing the player, I used a staggering array of power and hand tools to try removing that CD from the broken player - but fine Japanese engineering had the last laugh. This was a player that would skip if a breeze blew the wrong way, but it was indestructible to human hands. At least the captured CD was only the insipid Queen "Live Magic" album with all the edited songs :)
Oh and by the way, now playing: Remy Zero - The Golden Hum

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Are these multi-changers kinder than the slot-loading dashboard head units?

Do these large 300 discs mega changers that some people have in their home setups give the same problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks