What's new

Do any AV receivers have wireless volume knob remote controls? (1 Viewer)

dstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I know of a few speakers that come with wireless knobs for volume control, Senic Nuimo (for Sonos), and Devialet make them.

But is there any for home theaters, eiher for the receivers or for ho e thester software (Kodi or Plex)?

Would this be useful or just a hassle?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dan these aren't very common. Most folks just use a remote.

You can use mobile apps like Yatse to control Kodi, and most receivers can be controlled from a mobile phone also. That's what I recommend to most people these days, since you always have that device with you.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As Dave gets at... do you specifically want a hardware "knob"? Or just remote control volume?

If you really want a remote control knob, it might be you need to explore an Arduino or Raspberry Pi project to build one.

dstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
As Dave gets at... do you specifically want a hardware "knob"? Or just remote control volume?

If you really want a remote control knob, it might be you need to explore an Arduino or Raspberry Pi project to build one.

Yeah I actually have made one -- I'm wondering if other audiophiles / home theater enthusiasts might want them. Am i the only one who wanted a volume knob on my coffee table?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think you're the only one :)

I don't know why you'd want a knob on the coffee table. That sounds inconvenient compared to a universal remote control in hand.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Yeah I actually have made one -- I'm wondering if other audiophiles / home theater enthusiasts might want them. Am i the only one who wanted a volume knob on my coffee table?

A physical volume rotatory knob would be an excellent idea

I think REL’s flagship subwoofer offers it

much better tactile feel than pushing bloody buttons. I searched for a remote that offers this and couldn’t find one

I think bang and olufsen offer one too but it only works on their speakers

I think your idea has appeal , for example Blu ray and UHD films have WIDE dynamic range in audio, most tracks are uncompressed

how many times have we watched a film and we have to bump up the volume to hear quiet passages of speech only 2 minutes later frantically pusinh uring loud explosion scenes

HEAT anyone ?

Last edited:

dstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
A physical volume rotatory knob would be an excellent idea

I think REL’s flagship subwoofer offers it

much better tactile feel than pushing bloody buttons. I searched for a remote that offers this and couldn’t find one

I think bang and olufsen offer one too but it only works on their speakers

Yeah B&O made one years ago for $800 or something. There's a couple of them for Sonos speakers too.

Devialet makes a really nice one for their $35,000 amplifier:

accessoires_mood_remotepackshot_desktop_2.jpg

I'm just kind of wondering why audiophiles don't seem to want volume knobs. (some do, but not many)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Because they’d rather spend $15;000 on a furutech terminated power cord or $20k on siltech xlr cables , you know all the crap for which no objective verifiable evidence exist

if u made one I’d say there’s a market

dstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Because they’d rather spend $15;000 on a furutech terminated power cord or $20k on siltech xlr cables , you know all the crap for which no objective verifiable evidence exist

if u made one I’d say there’s a market

Yeah obviously price is a problem there. What if there was one that was even nicer than the Devialet remote, cost only $200, and controlled home theater receivers?

These devices do exist -- for example the Microsoft Surface Dial. But it's kinda cheap and only works with Windows. It's not a remote control, it's more like a keyboard macro and volume knob for computers.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Ipso facto one doesn’t exist that can be programmed for home media av processors or 2 channel audio

“If u build it they will come “ :)

dstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
“If u build it they will come “ :)

Sadly that appears not to be the case. I've asked this same question in several A/V forums but few people say they would want them.

There appears to be a much better use-case for these types of devices for connecting them to computers and using them as a keyboaard macro to control video editing, photoshop, and music software. That's where the Microsoft Surface Dial and scrubber devices are used.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think you're the only one :)

I don't know why you'd want a knob on the coffee table. That sounds inconvenient compared to a universal remote control in hand.
Well, some days I’d like a big red button my coffee table labeled “LAUNCH”. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks