What's new

DLP vs CRT Projectors (1 Viewer)

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Positive for DLP
A DLP projector will be easier to set up since it will never need anything to be alligned while a CRT projector will need it's CRT's alligned manually every 4 months.
A DLP projector can't burn in while a CRT projector can. DLP projectors will have a greatly improved image with a digital connection such as DVI while a CRT projector will get little image improvement from a digital connection.

Negative for DLP
Even the best HD2 DLP projectors have a contrast ratio of 2,000:1 while CRT projectors can have a contrast ratio of at least 50,000:1. From what I've heard the contrast ratio at which any further improvement of contrast ratio would be unnoticeable is around 20,000:1 which will probably take DLP projectors at least a decade to reach. DLP suffer from a effect known as rainbows since all DLP projectors under $15,000 use only one DLP chip for all three colors. Anyone can see them and they appear as the seperation of the colors red, green, and blue. This is because a spinning color wheel inside the DLP projector is filtering the three colors together. Faster color wheels lessen the noticeabitly of rainbows though this approach will never eliminate it. Rainbows are very dependent on the viewer since some people almost never see them while others will see them immediatley.

There are many opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of both but almost everyone agree's that CRT projectors are still the best looking while DLP projectors are easier to maintain. I would recommend that no matter which type of projector you get that you make sure it has DVI-HDCP. There is good reason to believe that the future HD-DVD may only output on a DVI-HDCP connection.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
...while a CRT projector will need it's CRT's alligned manually every 4 months.
Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. There was a guy on AVS the other day stating that he hadn't made any adjustments to his projector for two years. With a well done initial mechanical set up you may have to touch up your convergence once or twice a year (I check mine monthly, but very rarely have to fix anything). Even if you do have to touch up your convergence every few months it can be done in less than 10 minutes.

I am in the CRT camp, digitals looks flat to me, I am sensitive to rainbows, I can't stand screen door, I like black blacks, etc.

There are some cons to CRT:

1. They do require a light controlled room, You do not want to set one up in a room with any significant amount ambient light (I wouldn't want to setup a digital in a room with ambient light either). The problem here is that CRT's aren't as bright as many of the digital units.

2. They are big and they are heavy. Mine tips the scales at over 180 pounds.

3. They do require an initial setup that is time consuming and intimidating to a new comer. When I first got my CRT I was scared to death of setting it up since I had read how hard they are to work with (I later learned that a lot of the people that are saying how hard they are to setup are the ones in the digital crowd, many who have never set one up). But you will need to do some homework and figure out what controls do what. The initial setup can take several hours. Some are fairly easy to set up (Sonys) while some are more difficult (NECs).

4. CRT's have no zoom lenses, so your throw distance is fixed.

5. They can burn in. While it is true that they can burn in, the likely hood of it happening is pretty low if you take certain precautions. Calibrate the set using Avia or a similar test disk (in other words don't run it in torch mode). I have left a static image of white text on black screen, which is probably the worst thing you can do, for about 4 or 5 hours (I passed out on my couch watching Lord of the Rings:) )and I had no hint of burn. Long extended video game sessions are probably not a good idea if the games have static images, but 2-3 hour stints will probably not be a problem. I watch network TV with station bugs all the time and they are not a problem.

6. You will probably need to budget a scaler or HTPC. While most digitals have one built in most CRTs do not (mine does actually).

7. If you should happen to have a problem with your CRT, you can't easily just take it down and ship it somewhere to get fixed. But there are many people/places that will work with you in diagnosing your problem, many of them will send out new boards for you to try so you don't have to send the whole projector. It should also be noted that these are professional grade machines and are built like tanks. But if a serious problem should occur it will be a pain in the ass.

8. Some CRTs are loud and will require a hush box, there are many that are quiet though.

Considering all of the above I wouldn't trade my G70 for any digital on the market today. The picture that I get out of it is breathtaking. I went and checked out a HD2 DLP a few weekends ago and was impressed with the picture, but in my opinion they still have a long way to go. I also paid considerably less for my projector than any of the HD2 units.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It really depends on what you're looking for. I've owned LCD, CRT and DLP. (In that order)

The reason why I went with DLP is easy... I spent way too much time fiddling with my CRT instead of sitting back and enjoying a movie. Also, I like to play my Xbox on the big screen so I din't want to worry about burn in. There is also the problem of buying a "used" CRT. Unless you're loaded you're going to have to buy used. If it breaks down it can be a real pain, parts can be expensive and are getting harder to find. (although Curt Palme over at AVS does a good job of keeping people up and running.)
With DLP you get a warranty (if you buy new) and don't have to worry about it.

Rainbows. I presently own an LT150 and have never had a problem, nor have my 40+ guests who have come in and out of my home in the past year and a half. Setup is key.
The black level of my PJ is quite good. Contrast ratios are nice to know but the blacks look great. Remember, I used to own a Marquee 8000 CRT.

The new NEC HT1000 is supposed to be amazing in just about every way. Much higher CR, DVI, 4x colour wheel, etc... They are getting rave reviews.

I'm not bashing CRT, it's just not for everyone.

One last note. I bring my DLP up to a friends cottage once and a while, we watch movies outside and have a blast! Kind of hard to do that with a CRT. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks