What's new

CRT vs. LCD vs. DLP...any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Craig*C

Auditioning
I currently use an InFocus SP5000 LCD projector in my home theater and it actually works quite well...but I'm getting the "upgrade bug" and I'm looking to go for something a little better. I was thinking I'd shoot for one of the midrange DLP projectors, but then I started looking at ebay and Craiglist and it seems that there are some decent deals to be had on CRT projectors.

My question to you who have vastly greater experience in this field is...should I go with the CRT or the DLP...

I know what the disadvantage of CRT are...Greater weight, convergence, etc. But...I also know that there are advatages as well in the way of no motors and colowheels, truer blacks, etc.

So what do you all think?

While you're at it...how about some CRT projector recommendations (if I DO decide to go that way). I am a CRT neophyte.

Thanks

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
You already have a projector... I'd wait. Satisfy that bug a year down the road when the whole HDMI-HDCP v1/v1.2/v2 thing shakes out. In a year we should have a really good idea what is going to be an accepted standard for BluRay or HDDVD, whomever comes out on top.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
Why would you jump backwards? Are you seeing CRT projectors that are HD compatible?

CRT may not have moving parts but each tube is like a light bulb with a fixed lifespan. So when one goes out you are out serious cash.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
CRT projectors are excellent choices for hobby minded folks with picky eyes and aren't willing to fork out $10K for a digital projector to throw a similar image. A good 8inch EM focus CRT throws a marvelous image when properly setup in a light controlled room. They are very very cheap now, I would look at curtpalme.com or videogon. Tube condition is what matters. Also, where are you located?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

It's not a jump backwards just because its old technology. A 9-inch LC crt will throw what many consider the best images available anywhere, despite the fact that they are "old" technology. Yes they sync to well beyond HD resolutions. High end CRTs will most all sync well beyond 1080p, but 8 inchers are best driven at 720p, 9inchers at 960p or 1080p depending on the content. Tubes do wear as any phosphor-based display does, however if you purchase a unit with tubes in good condition they will last a very very long time. They do not just "go out" all of a sudden like bulbs do. However, re-tubing a CRT is not a cheap undertaking, which again is why tube condition is the dominant factor in the condition/price of a used crt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks