What's new

DIY screen vs. professional screen (projector central article): (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
my concern about DIY acoustic screens is lost of video performance. cause if it can be easily... then why are people like clearpix in business? the science+engineering behind it has got to be more than just... cotton.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Peter,

I'm using a fairly light-weight 100% cotton material, dyed a mild gray. It's stretched over a iron (top) and PVC pipe (sides and bottom) frame. A black terry-cloth backer is loosely draped behind it to act as a light-trap.

EDIT:

JediFonger,
Yes, I loose quite a lot of brightness through my homebuilt AT screen. But given my image size and proximity, my LCD projector is running in eco-mode, and the image is still plenty bright, on the nominal 78" diagonal screen. I had to choose materials that (a) didn't "glint," and (b) was a fine enough weave that it didn't morie with the LCD grid.

Leo

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Sheet metal screens have not gained popularity due to the difficulty of getting them flat (as opposed to wavy) and due to the expense and weight. One misstep during installation and a slight but permanent crease can occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks