What's new

DIY Screen + Sanyo PLV-Z1 (1 Viewer)

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I'm using an older Sanyo with Sheetrock and I'm please so I'm sure you won't have any problem.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Yes it could but why pay for the Dazian screen then? Black out cloth can be purchased at most fabric stores for under $20 and it makes a great screen to paint (or just as a matte screen). Also instead of Goo try the DDog paint detailed here. Its what I'm now using on my screen and to me it looks every bit as good as the Stewart Greyhawk sample I have.

richard_v

Stunt Coordinator
__________________________________________________ ________
why pay for the Dazian screen then? Black out cloth can be purchased

Because I need a width of 72". I can not find Black out wider than "54. Have you?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
No not locally. I went with a 45" by 80" screen so the 54" width was plenty for me..how large a screen are you planning on making? The Sanyo's lummen output isn't that high for such a large screen which is why most people end up building the 92" screen.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I keep hearing about black-out cloth that can be used in the construction of a FP screen. Can someone elaborate on exactly what this is, and how to build a screen with it?

richard_v

Stunt Coordinator
how large a screen are you planning on making? The Sanyo's lummen output isn't that high for such a large screen
__________________________________________________ _________

My seating is 13.5' from the screen. If my math is correct, per THX's recommended 36 degree viewing angle, my screen width should be 106" (with a heighth of 60"). Thus the blackout is not wide enough. Besides, the Brite Screen was only 30.00.

I will be able to completely control the room's light, so the underrated lumens of the Z1 should not be an issue - I hope?!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Ah I didn't realize that the Brite was that cheap...other then paying for shipping on that its not to bad.

Josh blackout cloth is a white fabric that has a cloth side and a rubbery side to it that's primarily used to block out light behind curtians. If you go to any fabric store (I know joannes carries it) they should have a few different ones to choose from. They often come in shades of white to cream so just pick the whitest they have and project onto the rubbery side. Its very affordable and comes in 54" wide bolts so you can make quite large screens on the cheap. For the frame there's a variety of options but for my last screen I went with simple 2 by 2's cut to 80 and 45 inches long then mitered the corners to a 45 degree angle and glued them together along with some corner braces and a brace down the center. If you go to AVS and look through the screen's area there's a ton of posts on the subject that I suggest you read though to get a feel for what others have done.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Andrew, that was very helpful. I'll probably build my own screen to start with when I get my X1, and I have a Joann's nearby so I'll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks