What's new

DIY S-Video Cable (1 Viewer)

Aaron D

Stunt Coordinator
I know component is probably better, but until I replace my TV, I need a good replacement S-video cable. I have seen only one thread relating to this here . At the end, someone suggests using 2 RG6 cables and a wide-base connector (along with some good soldering technique).
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

JerryD

Grip
If you are only doing a short run, then there is not much cost to save or performance to gain with a DIY S-video cable. If you need a cable of 25 feet or more doing an RG6 or RG59 based cable can deliver a much better signal. A real easy way to do it is to buy two VY6-1 S-video to BNC adapters from www.A2Zcables.com and then make up a pair of coax cables to go in between them using RG6 or RG59 and appropriate BNC connectors from www.partsexpress.com. I tried soldering RG59 directly to S-video connectors, but the coax is so stiff and heavy that the connectors wouldn't stay pluged into my DVD player or projector.

Jay Sulzberg

Auditioning
I agree with Jerry. The 4 pin mini din is probably the hardest connector you can make by hand. If you need to run an s-video signal more then 15-20 feet, use a breakout adapter at both ends of duel RG-59 cables. My custom installation company uses s-vid to BNC breakout adapters and Canare LV-61 RG-59 cable. The BNC end is better because by design it is a true 75-ohm connection. Most RCA ends are not.

Aaron D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys!
Due to my setup, I need a cable ~20 feet long, even though the TV is only 2 feet from my DVD player. But I want to replace my cable because I bought it 2 years ago when I didn't care so much about cables.
With that in mind do you think it will make much difference?
I do like the simplicity of the BNC idea, though, thanks! I think I'll try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks