DIY S-Video Cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron D, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Aaron D

Aaron D Stunt Coordinator

I know component is probably better, but until I replace my TV, I need a good replacement S-video cable. I have seen only one thread relating to this here . At the end, someone suggests using 2 RG6 cables and a wide-base connector (along with some good soldering technique).
    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

2. JerryD

JerryD Extra

If you are only doing a short run, then there is not much cost to save or performance to gain with a DIY S-video cable. If you need a cable of 25 feet or more doing an RG6 or RG59 based cable can deliver a much better signal. A real easy way to do it is to buy two VY6-1 S-video to BNC adapters from www.A2Zcables.com and then make up a pair of coax cables to go in between them using RG6 or RG59 and appropriate BNC connectors from www.partsexpress.com. I tried soldering RG59 directly to S-video connectors, but the coax is so stiff and heavy that the connectors wouldn't stay pluged into my DVD player or projector.

3. Jay Sulzberg

Jay Sulzberg Auditioning

I agree with Jerry. The 4 pin mini din is probably the hardest connector you can make by hand. If you need to run an s-video signal more then 15-20 feet, use a breakout adapter at both ends of duel RG-59 cables. My custom installation company uses s-vid to BNC breakout adapters and Canare LV-61 RG-59 cable. The BNC end is better because by design it is a true 75-ohm connection. Most RCA ends are not.

4. Aaron D

Aaron D Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, guys!
    Due to my setup, I need a cable ~20 feet long, even though the TV is only 2 feet from my DVD player. But I want to replace my cable because I bought it 2 years ago when I didn't care so much about cables.
    With that in mind do you think it will make much difference?
    I do like the simplicity of the BNC idea, though, thanks! I think I'll try it.