What's new

DIY S Video Cable (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make a S Video cable? I need about 40 feet to set up a front projector. I am trying to get 480p from a DVD player. This should work fine, right?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
In my understanding, yes, you need to ship component, which is much easier to build than S...

I'd not recommend building an S cable - not with the 4-pin mini-DIN end.

If, on the other hand, both ends support the dual-BNC approach to S-Video, by all means.. (you still won't get the 480p that way, though.)

Leo

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
The problem I am running into is that the projector only has a 15pin RGB input, a single RCA input and S-Video. I tried to get the RGB inpu to work with an adaptor, but I kept getting some "software protection" type message.

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
you can make a good svideo cable using category 5 wire used for networking. I used shielded but I think you could get away with unshielded depending on whether it's exposed to close sources of interference. Just get a dayton svideo cable from parts express, they have ends that unscrew. Desolder the original wire and use pairs of the cat 5 to replace them. I had a 40 foot run of this in the old days and it was very good. Certainly don't spend alot on this, it's just s-video anyway.

I would encourage you to find out if there's another way to get the progressive signal over. What pj is it and have you asked over on avsforum?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks