What's new
World Wide Stereo

DIY Quatro + 240 Amp Problem. (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
Hey guys I built a subwoofer about 2 years ago with a 15" Quatro and a 240 amp..

Since day 1 i've been having problems with the amp. To get any sorta sound out of the sub I have to put the volume on the amp to about 80-95% gain to get any sort of bass. My receiver is set to have the sub on and the gain is at +2 on the sub.
Problem i have now is the amp seems to not work at all. If i play with the volume/gain knob i can hear the sub growl. Sounds to me like the contacts on the dial knob are faulty. I have tried to turn the knob constantly to try and loosen up any possible dirt/dust that might be causing this problem. However it has not fixed my problem.
I has anyone had this problem before? My last resort is going to be to open up the amp and check for contacts on the circuitry.. any help would be appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are all of the settings on the receiver the same? Have you checked your sub cable? Do you have a replacement sub cable to test? A replacement receiver? If it is an amp problem, then Dayton has 5 year warranties on these. Call them up and tell them the problem and how you tried to fix it. They may try other fixes or just asked you to box up the amp and send it in for a replacement.

-Robert

MikeGee

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice Robert. I did not know it had a 5 year warrenty.

I got the amp working yesterday after playing with the gain. I emailed the company to see what I should do. I am pretty sure it would be as simple as me just changing the gain knob. When the sub was working. I tried to play with the wire to see if it would cut off and it didnt. The only thing affecting the sub working or not is the gain knob.

Not that its a big problem for me to have the amp all the way up. I have a Pioneer 1014tx and I was just wondering why there was a lower voltage going to my LFE channel is it due to the limitations of my receiver or is it due to the electricity in my home?
I just ordered a Monster HTS-1600 Power Conditioner/Surge protector I'm not sure if that will help with anything once I get it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It won't change anything for your LFE output. And if you have a good electricity from the power company, you have done nothing but make your wallet lighter.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks