What's new
World Wide Stereo

DIY mains (or retail) for 50' x 25' room-- game room (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
I'm building or buying a set of mains for my guest house -game room that is very large. Its about 50 x 25ft with tall vaulted ceilings. I need a set of mains to run with a H/K amp @~ 70wpc. I would like dynamic speakers that can really get loud in that game room.
**Unfortunately** I have ~$400-450 budget.

I've considered the following;

Adire HE's, Kit 281s, JBL S310s or N38's

HE10's or HE12's- I worry that the low x-max will not allow for much bass response in that room and low power handling.

Kit 281's- ported or sealed-- not sure.
I worry that these will not have enough output with 70w. I've heard they are very clear and articulate yet "mild" when really cranked.

OR I've considered some JBL Bstock S310's floorstanders. I know these can really pump out the db's while staying relatively clear and detailed.

Any other suggestions or comments on these?

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
"Fun" speakers. Hmmm...that's a new technical term to me. I dunno...fun...I see people looking at the latest Bose with a covetous smile, so they must be fun speakers.:D

A

Anthony_Gomez

you want "fun?....easy....make the volume a little smaller, then shorten the port a bit. you will get that "fun" bass.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I've got the ported KIT281's and I wouldn't describe them as "mild when really cranked". I've got them in a ~3000 cu ft room and they are more than enough.

KyleGS

Second Unit
You guys are just hilarious. Critique every word why-don't-cha? :)

Fun= I'm not overly worried about detail, articulation, or dead silent rooms for critical listening sessions. The room is large, will be loud with a crowd and a pool balls rattling around. I just need good output with decent bass response and decent top end. I obviously want the best for my money and application.

I removed "fun" from my post since everyone seems to lack a little personality. :) This stuff isn't always this serious ya know... :)

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Assuming the speakers are a couple of feet away from one end of a 50ft room and you want it loud 2/3rd back (~33.35ft), then consider that room gain doesn't begin until ~11.3Hz and it's long enough for SPL to fall at the square of distance: 20log (2/33.35) = ~ -24.44dB. 70W (SS, I presume) = ~18.45dB of gain, leaving us with a deficit of ~6dB, or this much efficiency gain required to meet the original 1W/m output. IOW if you started with 90dB/W/m speakers as being acceptable closer to them, then to make up the loss out to 33.35ft you'll need to either quadruple them, increase the power 4x and hope they can handle it, or swap them for 96dB/W/m speakers.

To most folks, loud is around the DD HT reference specs, or 105dB/chnl, which translates to 105+10log (5/1) = ~11.98dB/listening position, or ~92dB avg.. Music is more dynamic so it drops the avg. to ~82dB/listening position. Summing ~111.98+24.44 = ~136.42dB/listening position so either you're going to need a large horn or equivalent sensitivity system, move closer, or accept a lower level of 'loud' if it's to sound 'dynamic'. To keep from blowing out the ears of the folks up close, they'll need to be mounted up above their heads to put them far enough off axis and throw to the other end of the room.

Anyway, if you assume 30dB peak to avg. and use the distance formula you can figure out what will do what. Most folks in this situation though accept a lower dynamic headroom and use a compander to limit it to 15dB, the norm for live amplified concerts. Another popular route is a distributive sound system where there's a number of smaller speakers around the room, and accept the comb filtering that occurs when moving around.

GM

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle
what a shame, the first couple responses.

"Thats the them that makes us we" Hawkeye to Trapper John

A

Anthony_Gomez

Actually, my post on "fun" isn't actually a joke. For the room you want, you may want the exagerated bass, and doing what I said would do it.

And Kyle, why don't you tell us what why-don't-cha means;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

It's Hank's fault. Ya know he don't have no sense of humor (in my best native Texas drawl). :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Brian, you need to respect your elders! It isn't Hanks fault that his mind grows feeble with age :D

KyleGS

Second Unit
Thanks again GREG for the helpful response. Looks like I may need the efficiency of the Kit HE's. Anyone else with helpful suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks