What's new

Divx to DVD (1 Viewer)

Ian Eishen

Auditioning
I have two questions

1. Can you watch a Divx disc on a Sharp DV-L87U Portable DVD player?

2. Can you watch a Divx disc on a DVD-Rom drive?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The short answer, I believe, is that you can no longer watch a DIVX disc on any player, since the DIVX service is no longer available. And even if the service is available, you would need a DIVX-capable player (which would have the DIVX logo prominently displayed).
M.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
If you are talking about the illegal downloading of movies via "DivX," we don't endorse that here at the HTF.

-Chris

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I wasnt talking about anything illegal
Well since there are two formats that both use the name divx it would help us (to help you) if we knew what you were talking about.

One format that was being pushed by Circuit City a couple years ago, called Divx (I know some letters are suppose to be capitalized, but I don't remember which, and I don't care enough to look it up) is now dead. It was a competing format to DVD, only playable on certain machines and was a pay-per-view format. If you have any of these discs then they are completely unplayable...even on Divx machines.

The other one is a codec used to encode movies (like MP3 is for music). Often times this format is used to copy DVDs and put them out on the internet for illegal distribution. But it can also be used for legal purposes, like archiving your home movies. In this case they are only playable from a computer, not any "set-top" DVD players currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks