What's new

Distortion in DVD dialogue...any guesses? (1 Viewer)

Shaun Graham

Agent
I am using a Harmon/Kardon AVR-225 connected to a JBL S-Center and a pair of S26's via 14 ga Home Depot speaker wire. The AVR is connected to a cheap Norcent DVD player by digital coax. I've had the whole system less than 6 months. Okay, here comes the question.

On certain parts of movies, almost always during dialogue when a character raises his/her voice, there is a slight crackling or static sound behind the dialogue, a sort of distortion. Since it's dialogue, the crackling was coming from the center speaker. When I turned off the center speaker and played just through the S26's, the crackling was still there. But when I played the sound through the TV's speakers, the crackling was gone.

I'm wondering if it is a problem of interconnects, receiver, DVD player, speakers, or any guesses you might have as what the problem is or how to locate and fix such slight distortion. I'm guessing it's the receiver (which is refurbished) which is why I put this post here. Anyone else had something similar? I know it's a little problem but it sure is annoying! Thanks,

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
It can be from the DVD player.

I used to use Panasonic RP-56 using optical out to my Pioneer 45TX receiver and I hear a lot of distortion on the center channel. Just to experiment, I changed the player to Denon 910, the wiring and other variables are excatly the same, the distortion disappears.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The crackle you hear is actually most likely from the source (the DVD itself). There have been several threads about this and the general consensus seems to be that the lower quality the equipment, the less likely you are to hear the crackling. I used to hear it a lot more than I do now, so I don't know if it's a case of me just getting used to it, or if the voice tracks on DVDs are getting better. I like to think it's the latter. I remember a few movies awhile ago where it was extremely annoying.

Shaun Graham

Agent
Thanks to both of you. Scott, as you said I found a bunch of threads on this same issue (the one time I don't do a search :rolleyes:) They're below if anyone's interested.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=dvd+crackling

P.S. The DVD was the Jaws 25th Anniversary (DTS), right at the part where the mom is yelling at the boy to get out of the boat at night (chapter 6). The dialogue goes, "Did you hear your father? Get out of the water now!" with the Bold being the problem spot. Anyone else confirm this is a problem spot?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

I'll try this scene tonight. Sony DVD player, Lexicon MC-1, Jaws DTS R1 25th.

[edit] seems OK, however there's a teeny bit of crackling, but it could be the mike was too close to the actress or her shouting.

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
great post.

I was concerned about this in two past movies i was watching: Air Force One, and Reign of Fire.

Certain parts of JUST the dialogue were distorted.. i ended up reducing my levels to -20db below reference, BUT COULD STILL HEAR IT!

Out of concern, i popped in a music cd and pumped it up.. past reference levels, and couldnt detect a thing (again, these revolved around just the center channel). It seems some movies are just hot.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
After checking out those threads, I see someone mentioned Magnolia. That is definitely one that I've experienced it with. And that movie has A LOT of yelling. The worst part is that I never even noticed this problem until I upgraded my speakers.

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
sometimes good speakers can be a burdon :)

none of my mp3 collections are suitable for play any longer, and ive got to redo them all to lossless

Shaun Graham

Agent
I just got The Rock: Criterion today and to my dismay discovered the soundtrack has similar problems peppered throughout.

I find it hard to believe that the DVD studios could consistently make an error that is obvious on the systems they intended the DVDs to be shown on: high-quality home theater setups which can most closely reproduce the sound the way it was supposed to be heard in the theater!

Now I'll be listening closely for defects in other DVDs too...a burden indeed...

Oh and thanks for checking out Jaws John, perhaps that wasn't the best example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks