What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Have you watched the New MM cartoons from the series that started about 4 years ago.
I love them. I think they’re imaginative and smart and funny.
I’ve enjoyed them much more then any of the old original animated Disney Shorts.

I haven't tried those. Thanks for the recommend!

PS Having now watched one of them, I did think it was amusing. But as a fan of traditional hand-drawn animation, the relatively low-cost animation style for these new cartoons wasn't my favorite.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't tried those. Thanks for the recommend!

PS Having now watched one of them, I did think it was amusing. But as a fan of traditional hand-drawn animation, the relatively low-cost animation style for these new cartoons wasn't my favorite.

The animation style draws heavily on the "rubber hose" style that Disney employed in the thirties. The series looks hand-drawn to me, since it is a 2D series. I think it is one of the better drawn, designed and animated Disney TV series. It is expressive and brings the Mouse back to his roots as a visual gag character. The downside of the series is that they also brought back Donald Duck's one note character of uncontrollable rage.

The background designs are especially noteworthy , ranging from the look of watercolour painting to painting on canvas. The backgrounds actually reinforce the feeling of it being hand-drawn as the style used can swing wildly from episode to episode. The quality and detail in them remind me of Disney's hey-day before the background work in modern Disney animated features became "flat", boring and nondescript.

The series is probably the first Disney animated product in a long time where I have paid attention to the background art. So far "Mumbai Madness" is a favorite of mine. I must have watched that one about five or six times. The music and art in that one really caught my attention.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm just finishing now the 3rd episode of The Imagineering Story. The story of Disneyland Paris was even more dramatic than I knew. Good stuff for Disney fans.

I still remember the CBS-TV special for the opening back when it was new. Did they mention why they chose Paris over any number of European cities they could have built it in, one that might theoretically have been perceived as being more welcoming to an American company building a theme park there, or one with a climate more like that of California or Florida?* The timing of the actual opening coincided with the release of Beauty and the Beast, which was set in France, happening right between its original US theatrical and video releases.

*Two years later, the Disney's America backlash showed even in the US, we still drew the line somewhere.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Watching the Cat from outer space and I can hear the tape recorder reels in the background when Jake the cat speaks

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think that had an HD remaster already ready to upload. I'm sure Disney Movie Club will get around to it for Blu-ray … eventually.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
So, do we have any idea how long it will be before new Disney movies come to the service? Like this years Aladdin, Lion King and Toy Story 4.
I read somewhere else that it would be 7 months after theatrical release. I think they were basing that as the same as it was for Netflix. 4 months for Digital download/Blu Ray/DVD, 7 months for streaming. So good chance we will see Aladin at the end of December. Probably January for Toy Story 4 and February for The Lion King

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am really hoping that Disney will place the full uncut 1973 tv version of Miracle on 34th Street on the stream service. I’ve been hoping Fox would release a DVD. Then Disney bought their library and while I hope against hope for a physical media release, it seems logical that it should be on the platform. I also note that it is uploaded on YouTube but 12-15 minutes are missing

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Reading some of the complaints on the Disney+ Facebook page make me roll my eyes - many of them are about how their older smart TV does not have the app available, yet they refuse to go out and spend $20-30 on a Roku or Fire TV because "they shouldn't have to" for their five year old TV. :eek:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Now they just need to fix the Dolby Atmos issue on The Mandalorian across all platforms. Of my three streaming devices, Roku is the only one that offers Atmos on this title; Apple TV and Fire TV are still only 5.1!!
And this is the reason Ashlie at Disney+ just gave me for The Mandalorian being only 5.1 on Apple TV:

Disney gives the audio that it thinks is best. We do not have control over which one that is.
:huh:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
OK - just spoke with a very nice and knowledgeable gentleman on the phone at Disney+ support, and apparently the 5.1 audio issue with the The Mandalorian on Apple TV 4K is a known issue and is being worked on - obviously no timeframe as to when it will be fixed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks